Athens - Stay or Pass? | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Athens - Stay or Pass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fernweh

Hey guys, I just booked one-way ticket from Oslo to Santorini to enjoy summer, and the way back I intend to spend few days in Budapest. I bought a rail pass, so literally can go wherever I want to since I haven't fixed my scheduled yet.

And Santorini to Budapest, of course I will have to take ferry to Athens. However, I just read the news about strikes, protests, unemployment, and homeless... really wonder about safety there.

Is there anyone who just experienced this city recently tell me about what is going on over there? Should I spend at least 2 days or just skip and take the train to Sofia, then Budapest?

Major

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Traffic in Athens is a nightmare at the best of times but demos and protests make it even worse.
Having said that it is a city steeped in history and should not be missed.

Some tourist attractions may be closed because of the strikes. I have had to reschedule a visit to the Acropolis and been delayed for a couple of hours on a bus after one tour due to protests etc.

Tourists are generally safe if you stay away from protest areas

Cynicor

AFF Supporter
Is it flaring up again or is the the same anti-austerity mob that's been going the last few years? I was there last June and it was fine, saw a heap of police etc but nothing untoward.

Really loved the place, the history and architecture/ruins are amazing.

kpc

AFF Supporter
I stayed in Athens for a week last October, and absolutely loved it! No strikes then...

boomy

AFF Supporter
I'm there on the 1st of June for a few days.
I will let you know if it's worth it or not ;)

fernweh

I'm there on the 1st of June for a few days.
I will let you know if it's worth it or not ;)
Thank you.

The reason why I asked because 3 years ago, I stayed in Paris near Montmartre and it was like a nightmare. strike in the morning and somewhat gas grenades were thrown and my tears kept flowing out for half an hour. later my iphone was stolen right at the station....

I'm aware of how historically beautiful Athens is, but I want to stay safe :(

boomy

AFF Supporter
Thank you.

The reason why I asked because 3 years ago, I stayed in Paris near Montmartre and it was like a nightmare. strike in the morning and somewhat gas grenades were thrown and my tears kept flowing out for half an hour. later my iphone was stolen right at the station....

I'm aware of how historically beautiful Athens is, but I want to stay safe :(
Sorry to hear about your misfortune in Paris, sounds like a total nightmare.
I will be in Paris tomorrow for the day, hope to have a better experience to share ;)

Bofter

AFF Supporter
Was there for a couple of nights two weeks ago, worth it and no protests despite elections (albeit local and European not national).

The traffic wasn't as bad as I feared, even drove straight into the middle of the city after landing as my first introduction to Greece and no great dramas. I wouldn't recommend that however unless you had a reason, in our case to start a road trip a couple of days later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

• jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...
  • Premium Economy – AIR010
    Sat, 04 May 2019 00:21:32 AEST
      Premium Economy is a great compromise if you want a more comfortable experience than Economy, without paying for Business or First class airfares! In this episode, AFF’s ...
  • Hyperinflation of Points – AIR009
    Sat, 20 Apr 2019 04:49:59 AEST
      Frequent flyer points are a valuable currency, but they aren’t immune from hyperinflation! In this episode, Matt discusses why frequent flyer points are a terrible long-t ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Namik