Athens - Stay or Pass?

Discussion in 'Destination Guide' started by fernweh, May 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. fernweh

fernweh Newbie

May 27, 2014
    Hey guys, I just booked one-way ticket from Oslo to Santorini to enjoy summer, and the way back I intend to spend few days in Budapest. I bought a rail pass, so literally can go wherever I want to since I haven't fixed my scheduled yet.

And Santorini to Budapest, of course I will have to take ferry to Athens. However, I just read the news about strikes, protests, unemployment, and homeless... really wonder about safety there.

Is there anyone who just experienced this city recently tell me about what is going on over there? Should I spend at least 2 days or just skip and take the train to Sofia, then Budapest?

2. Major

Major Established Member

Jan 21, 2011
    OOL/BNE
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Traffic in Athens is a nightmare at the best of times but demos and protests make it even worse.
    Having said that it is a city steeped in history and should not be missed.

Some tourist attractions may be closed because of the strikes. I have had to reschedule a visit to the Acropolis and been delayed for a couple of hours on a bus after one tour due to protests etc.

Tourists are generally safe if you stay away from protest areas

3. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    The short answer is stay or you'll regret it.

4. Cynicor

Cynicor Established Member

Jun 13, 2007
    Is it flaring up again or is the the same anti-austerity mob that's been going the last few years? I was there last June and it was fine, saw a heap of police etc but nothing untoward.

Really loved the place, the history and architecture/ruins are amazing.

5. kpc

kpc Senior Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Sydney
    I stayed in Athens for a week last October, and absolutely loved it! No strikes then...

6. boomy

boomy Senior Member

May 10, 2013
    MEL and BNE
    I'm there on the 1st of June for a few days.
    I will let you know if it's worth it or not ;)

7. fernweh

fernweh Newbie

May 27, 2014
    Thank you.

The reason why I asked because 3 years ago, I stayed in Paris near Montmartre and it was like a nightmare. strike in the morning and somewhat gas grenades were thrown and my tears kept flowing out for half an hour. later my iphone was stolen right at the station....

I'm aware of how historically beautiful Athens is, but I want to stay safe :(

8. Mark3000

Mark3000 Active Member

Apr 3, 2014
    Brisbane
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I would definitely spend at least a day or two, the Parthenon is breathtaking

9. boomy

boomy Senior Member

May 10, 2013
    MEL and BNE
    Sorry to hear about your misfortune in Paris, sounds like a total nightmare.
    I will be in Paris tomorrow for the day, hope to have a better experience to share ;)

10. Alanslegal

Alanslegal Senior Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Sydney
    Definitely worthwhile to spend a night or even two there.

11. Bofter

Bofter Member

Jun 30, 2010
    Melbourne and Perth
    Was there for a couple of nights two weeks ago, worth it and no protests despite elections (albeit local and European not national).

The traffic wasn't as bad as I feared, even drove straight into the middle of the city after landing as my first introduction to Greece and no great dramas. I wouldn't recommend that however unless you had a reason, in our case to start a road trip a couple of days later.