Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

Ask The Pilot

straitman

Enthusiast
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
JB thank you . Can the same issue happen with the same plane type but different configurations . I am thinking of the a330 200 with Qantas and how they have an international, domestic and a hybrid seating arrangement.
This can literally happen to any aircraft at anytime if it is loaded incorrectly. CofG calculations are an important part of everyday aviation life.

eric2011

Established Member
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Once the problem was identified should the pilots have moved a dozen pax to the rear and would that have been safer for the low speed approach for landing

jb747

Flights
My Map
JB thank you . Can the same issue happen with the same plane type but different configurations . I am thinking of the a330 200 with Qantas and how they have an international, domestic and a hybrid seating arrangement.
You'd never say that something isn't possible, because people are amazingly adept at finding new ways to make errors, but I don't think you'd be able to get enough of an error in different configurations of the same type.

Cargo...now that's a whole different ball game.

Once the problem was identified should the pilots have moved a dozen pax to the rear and would that have been safer for the low speed approach for landing.
They never really worked out that that CofG was incorrect. They correctly deduced that the trim setting was wrong, but not that the overall balance was badly out. If they'd done that, they could have contacted the company and had them run the loadsheet again, to get the correct figures, or, they could have done it themselves. I don't know if they had the ability to electronically run the loadsheet, but even a rough manual one wouldn't have taken more than 10 minutes (assuming they actually knew how to do it).

You'd probably need to move many more than a dozen. Alternatively, you could fill all of the seats around the centre of the aircraft, with nobody at either extremity. It's a dangerous game to play without any numbers. They found how easy it was to end up too far forward. They would not recover from too far aft.

Last edited:
Now with contactless delivery, shop online to get drinks delivered to your door or pick up in-store in 30 minutes. Lowest Liquor Price Guarantee. Biggest Range.

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer

Sprucegoose

Hopefully the proposed 'rescue' flights for stranded citizens will keep operations current to allow for a ramp up towards current capacity when required. This will allow regulatory authorities to authorize capacity as required as opposed from a standing start. As noted they are not the most responsive and have their own capacity issues. I wonder what they are doing at present?

jb747

Flights
My Map
Hopefully the proposed 'rescue' flights for stranded citizens will keep operations current to allow for a ramp up towards current capacity when required. This will allow regulatory authorities to authorize capacity as required as opposed from a standing start. As noted they are not the most responsive and have their own capacity issues.
Whilst anything is good, I doubt that this represents much of a start, and it's unlikely to cause much in the way of recovery of the stored aircraft.

I wonder what they are doing at present?
Navel gazing?

jb747

Flights
My Map
Is that the description of your initial role in the ADF before going to the pilot course?
I did a mix of navel, and naval, gazing at various points....though I do suppose an Observer could well be described as a professional naval gazer.

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mytravlution