Ascent Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

oz_mark

Enthusiast
Got a letter from Mr Amex today about changes to the Ascent program. Briefly

Annual fee changes from $59 to $80.

TravelKey - Book the travel you want when you want. Use your points to book directly with TravelScene American Express

Virgin Atlantic - From 1 July 2006 will be able to transfer to Virgin Atlantic Flying Club at 1:1 rate

Membership rewards guarantee - Return any reward within 14 days if not happy with it. Also guarantee delivery on time or you will get 1000 points.

Qantas Frequent Flyer Guarantee - Transfer will normally be within two hours, but are guaranteed to be transferred within 1 business day, or you'll get 1000 points.

Better Value on Vouchers - Reduced the number of points needed on vouchers.

Australia Post must be more efficient in WA than in NSW. So off I went searching on Amex website and sure enough found the new fee to be $80/pa.

The $21/pa increase is not a big deal as long as the program is not altered drastically. Not sure about others but for me the transfer to QF at rate of 1:1 is most important. If that remains in tact than Amex will continue to get my business.

mmmmm - the only place I ever put my points is into QFF. The annual card fee plus the increased annual membership fee is making the QF branded card more appealling.

Damien said:
...The annual card fee plus the increased annual membership fee is making the QF branded card more appealling.
Is that because you have a platinum card?

I like the gold card because they waive the annual fee if you spend >$9000/pa.

JohnK said:
Is that because you have a platinum card?

I like the gold card because they waive the annual fee if you spend >$9000/pa.

No, I decided to stay with the gold. The platinum just isn't worth it for me. I completely forgot they waive the annual fee if you spend a tiny amount.

Thanks for the reminder JohnK.

Same for me, I think the platinum card is not worth it at $395/pa.

JohnK said:
Australia Post must be more efficient in WA than in NSW. So off I went searching on Amex website and sure enough found the new fee to be $80/pa.

The $21/pa increase is not a big deal as long as the program is not altered drastically. Not sure about others but for me the transfer to QF at rate of 1:1 is most important. If that remains in tact than Amex will continue to get my business.

Well, from what I could tell they were adding to the program. They may be lurking but none of the 'enhancements' I saw took anything away. Bit of a change that.

I Like the new changes to the Asent program with the introduction of Virgin Atlantic as a 1:1 Partner.
Its only 180,000 points in upperclass to the UK Return from syd!

Also, as a plat charge holder - i can get 2 upper class tickets for $5440 TOTAL to HK.

So i worked out... for $5,440 and 200,000 points i can get 2 people from Syd - Lon Return in upper class.

Workings ($5,440 quote from Amex total with companion fare from syd - hk return) and 100,000 each return Hkd - Lon on points * 2 people.

My only regret is that i transferred heaps of points to qantas. Now i HAVE to use qantas :(

Is there a fee waiver for spending a certain amount on Platinum Charge Card? If so, how much?

Cheers

hcywong said:
Is there a fee waiver for spending a certain amount on Platinum Charge Card? If so, how much?

Cheers

Not in my experiance.

But it is good to see that AMEX are responding, recent transaction fee drop with Telstra is another plus.

hcywong said:

Cheers

The Platinum Charge card is not charged a rewards fee, it's inlcuded in the annual fee of the card.

netaddict said:
hcywong said:

Cheers

The Platinum Charge card is not charged a rewards fee, it's inlcuded in the annual fee of the card.

If you include the the rewards fee equivilent, the 1.5 points per $ spend plus a decent return flight then the cost of the card is amongst the cheapest around. :D 8) :wink: :idea:

straitman said:
netaddict said:
hcywong said:

Cheers

If you include the the rewards fee equivilent, the 1.5 points per $ spend plus a decent return flight then the cost of the card is amongst the cheapest around. :D 8) :wink: :idea:

You are not thinking of the credit card are you? The charge card does not come with a free flight.

MetroAir said:
straitman said:
netaddict said:
hcywong said:

Cheers

You are not thinking of the credit card are you? The charge card does not come with a free flight.

Oops :!: Done it again.

I really must learn to read the forum correctly before I post :!: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

If you include the the rewards fee equivilent, the 1.5 points per $ spend plus a decent return flight then the cost of the card is amongst the cheapest around. Laughing Cool Wink Idea

Remember though that if you have the platinum charge card, you can get the platinum credit card for free, getting a free flight

Nobby said:
If you include the the rewards fee equivilent, the 1.5 points per $ spend plus a decent return flight then the cost of the card is amongst the cheapest around. Laughing Cool Wink Idea

Remember though that if you have the platinum charge card, you can get the platinum credit card for free, getting a free flight

Good call, although I don't believe that I'll ever get (or need) a Platinum charge card as I have a big enough problem with my Corporate charge card thanks :!:

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Some professional organisations can get Amex Platinum for $295. When you deduct the annual free flight ( if you can make use of it ), it's too cheap when Perth was included. They have since taken Perth off. Additionally, due to the way they arrange it, we can use it for two tickets ( from 2 years ) at the same time if we book at the right month.

I spent more last year due to specific situation & they did give me a significant discount on the charge card but I don't know if they'd tell you how much you'd need to spend before hand.

Q : I think QFF points are bad value & too many restrictions. Does anyone know whether we can sell them or something ?

Q2: Is there something about "washing" Amex MR points through SPG, so can end up with more SQ points ? How does that wrok ? Thanks.

thomastse said:
Q : I think QFF points are bad value & too many restrictions. Does anyone know whether we can sell them or something ?

Q2: Is there something about "washing" Amex MR points through SPG, so can end up with more SQ points ? How does that wrok ? Thanks.

Q1: QFF program specifically prohibits selling of points. You can give them to family members, up to 100,000 per year though.

Q2: You might not be aware that Ascent Rewards changed just a few days ago - it includes transferring to SQ points at 1:1 (a much better deal) and also a big improvement in the conversion rate to Starwood Preferred Guest Points which can be converted to US frequent flyer programs (called "flushing" through SPG). This is being discussed here right now:

http://www.frequentflyer.com.au/community/american-express-rewards/positive-changes-to-ascent-12852.html
Rather that dilute the discussion, you might want to join that thread instead.

I am aware of the changes in the ratio, hence making the QFF look even worse. ( AND their restrictions ) Thanks anyway !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Recent Posts

Back