Article: Air Canada’s Interesting Domestic Premium Cabin Pricing

Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
Hum - read this and the comments about award flights not differentiating between J on wide-body and narrow-body isn't quite right. If booking using AC points I have found big differences due to AC's dynamic pricing BUT I have also found many cases where PE on wide-body is fewer points than Y on domestic routes - something to consider when travelling in Canada if you have AC points.

Hum - read this and the comments about award flights not differentiating between J on wide-body and narrow-body isn't quite right. If booking using AC points I have found big differences due to AC's dynamic pricing BUT I have also found many cases where PE on wide-body is fewer points than Y on domestic routes - something to consider when travelling in Canada if you have AC points.

It is true that Aeroplan awards are priced dynamically, but I haven't seen a clear correlation between price and aircraft type - it seems a bit more random. When redeeming points with other frequent flyer programs though, the pricing is fixed.

Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
Yes Aeroplan awards on their own metal is definitely dynamic - from a base rate (ie these are Saver awards and will be available to other programs) to outrageous. Domestic pricing varies by time of day, type of aircraft and non-stop vs itineraries which have one or more stops/flight changes. (I'm no exert - just a causal user of Air Canada and their program).

V1213

Qantas
Platinum
The ultimate expression of this concept is arguably WestJet, which always sells all of its narrow body front-of-plane-all-inclusive-class as Premium Economy. It directly competes with Air Canada's narrow body Business Class and is usually the same price. When WestJet operates their 787s domestically is the only time they sell a domestic Business Class product, offering lie flat seats et al.

Besides making for a clear and consistent product offering that's easy to understand, it also avoids the Premium Economy domestic downgrade when travelling on intercontinental itineraries. Where other airlines will sell a Premium Economy seat on the long leg with an Economy seat for domestic leg, WestJet will sell both legs in Premium Economy.

SYD

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Gold
The ultimate expression of this concept is arguably WestJet, which always sells all of its narrow body front-of-plane-all-inclusive-class as Premium Economy. It directly competes with Air Canada's narrow body Business Class and is usually the same price. When WestJet operates their 787s domestically is the only time they sell a domestic Business Class product, offering lie flat seats et al.

Besides making for a clear and consistent product offering that's easy to understand, it also avoids the Premium Economy domestic downgrade when travelling on intercontinental itineraries. Where other airlines will sell a Premium Economy seat on the long leg with an Economy seat for domestic leg, WestJet will sell both legs in Premium Economy.
Oh, I just looked at that via qantas.com. Yep, you can buy whY+ from Oz to Calgary (for example) via YVR or LAX and pick up the QF codeshare in whY+.

Booking in J you get the warning that YVR-YYC-LAX is in whY+. So technically they downgrade J PAX! Actually “simpler and fairer“ (TM) in a good way.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..