Are gift cards eligible spend to earn sign up bonus on Anz black rewards card?

Are purchases of gift cards from Coles etc counted as part of eligible spend required ($3000 in the first three months) to earn the 180k sign up bonus for the anz black rewards card? Asking for a friend who just got the card.

I just applied for and have been approved for an ANZ Qantas FF Platinum card (not the black version but just the Platinum version).

Even though I only need to spend $2.5k within 3 months, I've done some sums of my regular expenses and came up to the conclusion that I'll be a tad short of $2.5k as I don't have a big planned transaction (ie. car insurance etc) this time round to put me over, without having to spend on unnecessary stuff.

I guess I could buy $500 worth of Woolworths and Coles gift cards as I'll definitely use them over time and will then easily meet the minimum spend for another 75k points :) Either that or pay down my health insurance for a year upfront, something along those lines :)

Either should be fine,
remember that health fund premiums generally increase on 1 April so it can be good to pay annually in advance before that date.

Yeah I might consider paying my health insurance for a year in advance like I did last time to reach the minimum spend on my AMEX card.

I also note Qantas has a top-up points promo now (25-50% bonus points if you purchase 15k or more points) - does buying QFF points also count as "eligible" spend?

ie. You'll get the points from all - The top-up points themselves, points per dollar spent and the bulk sign-up bonus.

Back