ANZ Rewards Travel Adventure Card

Steady

Qantas
LT Gold
Hi, to receive the VA lounge passes for these cards, the accompanying pack tells me to "simply call 1300 367 763 four weeks before you travel and we'll mail your Virgin Australia single entry lounge passes."

Can someone who has recently received their cards advise what the expiry date is?

Last edited:
Sorry to bump this thread but I am looking for a replacement for my 28 Degrees Mastercard due to a few service issues. I am most interested in not paying any overseas transaction fees- the awards programme is less relevant.

Can someone confirm that overseas purchases on this card are entirely fee of foreign currency transaction fees (as is the case for the 28 Degrees Mastercard)?

Thanks in advance

I do indeed confirm that there are absolutely no foreign currency transaction fees, just like the 28 degrees card. In fact, I haven't used my 28 degrees card for a while! If considering the ANZ card look for a promotion. My wife recently got an email offering 60,000 Velocity points (but she already had the ANZ card!).

My wife recently got an email offering 60,000 Velocity points (but she already had the ANZ card!).

How recently? More details or even a link would be great - looking to sign up for this card but the lack of a bonus or even annual fee waiver is a bit cough.

It was three days ago, and the email was from Velocity, not ANZ. The email was targeted - I know because I did not get one - so no link I'm afraid. But knowledge of such an offer can sometimes be a bargaining chip, which is why I mentioned it.

How recently? More details or even a link would be great - looking to sign up for this card but the lack of a bonus or even annual fee waiver is a bit cough.

Link would do you no good as the offer via Velocity is targeted to the recipient only. My daughter received it.

ANZ called me today to say they were following up a text message they sent me about my Velocity Number.
Firstly I had a crack (tongue in cheek of course) at them for asking me to tell them my private and personal information when they havent verified that they are from ANZ, like they rang my number, who do they think is going to answer it. (its a pet hate of mine, seriously, whats the easiest way to get someones name, address dob and secret word? dont get me started)

Anyway then I told him I already had my points, so its mysterious to me why they rang, and that it was a bloody debacle trying to communicate the velocity number back to them, and also had a whine about the email and TXT message I got did not make it clear which Dept to ask for, and that their customer service obviously wasnt briefed about this either.

But hey, at least ANZ is trying :) SO its a good sign for those of you who are still on the merry go round trying to get the Velocity number advised. If you got a txt from ANZ , maybe just wait until you get the phone call.
The CID was 03 8693 5488

If ANZ tells you your Velocity number is incorrect when you know it IS correct, ask them to try again with a zero in front of it.

For members who have this card:

Condition 3:

ANZ will waive the overseas transaction fee on foreign currency... (not suprised, as per other cards. BUT the following I'm asking about:

"ANZ will also waive the cash advance fee if you use your ANZ Rewards travel Adventures account to withdraw actual cash from a branch or ATM located overseas. A cash advance fee will apply to any other cash advances on your account. ATM operator fees may apply"

Other then the fee, is it still classed as a cash advance, for daily interest charges to occur?

Condition 3:

ANZ will waive the overseas transaction fee on foreign currency... (not suprised, as per other cards. BUT the following I'm asking about:

"ANZ will also waive the cash advance fee if you use your ANZ Rewards travel Adventures account to withdraw actual cash from a branch or ATM located overseas. A cash advance fee will apply to any other cash advances on your account. ATM operator fees may apply"

Other then the fee, is it still classed as a cash advance, for daily interest charges to occur?

I have not tried it, but I cannot imagine that ANZ would give you use of their cash for free. ie interest would apply.

I am very happy with this card for international use. Did some comparison with other cards and due the lack of a fee the effective rate was much better.

Hi all, do you need to supply payslips when you apply for this card ?
(I don't have this card but from applying for CC experience), I'd assume that, like most financial institutions you would need to provide payslips to verify income.

It is also stated on the card's website. "Two recent pay slips for income verification".

Condition 3:

Here is a post from OzBargain from xdreamyst-

Well, firstly, congrats and happy travels - you and the family will have an absolutely splendid time in the US: a lot of fantastic, friendly, and interesting people; it really is a marvellous place to explore with much fun and many adventures to be had!

Preface: you'll need to consider and decide what financial products are suitable and appropriate for your own financial circumstances and capacity, and I am not recommending a card or financial product for you specifically.

Amex cards, this or others generally, will be widely accepted in the US but does incur fees as a % of transaction value (%value). Acceptance may vary at smaller merchants. Possible benefits aplenty but there are also benefits available with many other cards.

Visa and Mastercard are both also widely accepted in the US, and generally better abroad than AMEX. AMEX is less commonly accepted in some regions (EG Germany) or carries a steeper merchant fee (EG at home in Oz) than VISA or Mastercard. For my travel requirements and foreign currency, the AMEX only gets used in limited circumstances.

One thing to be aware of travelling is: Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC), where the merchant offers to convert (or just doesn't even tell you) the purchase into and charge your card in AUD instead of the local currency. Generally, best rule of thumb is to decline it because the conversion rate is terrible. In some cases because the merchant is / transaction occurred overseas your card issuer may still apply the intl %value fee anyway (although in this scenario AMEX wouldn't). For at least VISA Mastercard and AMEX you can ALWAYS decline the merchant DCC.

In my experience, I've found the ANZ Rewards Travel Adventures (ANZ RTA) to be a very good value card for my travel requirements. Main benefits eg:
× Current 40K velocity rewards if meet a fairly easy spend target. $225 annual fee.
× No Intl transaction %value fees and processed at VISA exchange rate - almost matches wholesale rates and rate is published. Many other cards either have %value fee or no fee but process the transaction at their own exchange rates (which is usually a large gap to the market rate)
× 1x return domestic airfare on Virgin network (must book it >60days in advance), which to me is $300-500.
× In my experience, providing you put the ANZ RTA into a positive balance (ie a card $ positive balance above your card limit) then you also get access to the VISA exchange rate and charged no cash advance interest fee and (as a standard feature) no cash advance withdrawal fees to withdraw some cash in the local currency. I presume no cash advance interest because they aren't advancing you any cash, you're simply drawing down from a surplus balance. If not in a positive balance you will get stung hard by the cash advance interest rate of ~20%pa on RTA (and commonly the case for many other credit card products). So, you need to be careful how and when this is accessed / used and understand how charges are sequenced, pending and posted to your credit card account. This feature alone has saved me hundreds over a couple of years travel (especially cash based areas) and is really just a case of paying the card upfront before making purchases and withdrawing cash (same as any savings act card, or preload travel cards) instead of using the credit facility (buy first, pay later) and interest free days.
× There are substantially different insurance coverages associated with different card products and my circumstances definitely not similar to yours so you'll have to consider that aspect yourself.

For my needs of paying for purchases by credit abroad and convenience of withdrawing cash maybe once per week, the ANZ RTA is really hard to beat. In order to get the cash withdrawal fee and IR free I usually bump the card into a positive surplus balance (including enough to cover any existing previous, but still pending, credit purchase transactions plus the amount I want to withdraw as cash) a day or 2 prior to making a cash withdrawal, and then make sure that cash withdrawal posts before making any further credit purchases. The ANZ app and net banking makes this very clear and obvious. Gotta remember AU wekends and bank transfer time frames also. Possibly sounds complicated, really isn't once you've got the hang of it.

I also have AMEX explorer and a couple of other cards, and have been cycling them for points or balance transfer cash for maybe 15yrs.

Anyway, hope you and the family have a brilliant trip and, most importantly, rest assured those memories and experiences are worth considerably more than any %value, exchange rate, or DCC etc fees. Have fun! :)

Looks to be an interesting feature. I wonder if cash withdrawn overseas from an atm would attract any points?

I have not tried it, but I cannot imagine that ANZ would give you use of their cash for free. ie interest would apply.

I would withdraw whatever money you need and put purchases on the card when overseas, and when the statement comes pay it off in full thereby avoiding any interest.

I would withdraw whatever money you need and put purchases on the card when overseas, and when the statement comes pay it off in full thereby avoiding any interest.

If it is deemed a cash advance, and I suspect that it will be, you will not avoid the interest unless as posted above by yourself: In my experience, providing you put the ANZ RTA into a positive balance (ie a card $ positive balance above your card limit)

To earn points I use this card for spend while overseas (or where billed in foreign currency) and while travelling use the Ctiplus Debit Card to access cash.

With the risk of the 20% interest the two card approach is simpler for me.

Last edited:
If it is deemed a cash advance, and I suspect that it will be

Not according to their own T&C's- "ANZ will also waive the cash advance fee if you use your ANZ Rewards travel Adventures account to withdraw actual cash from a branch or ATM located overseas."

With the risk of the 20% interest the two card approach is simpler for me.

Fair enough.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back