ANZ paying wrong point scale on Platinum Rewards Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

maximage

Hi all, very long winded, especially for a newby, but looking if anyone has any advice on this one, or anyone with old ANZ Rewards PDS docs they may be able to help with.

Back in 2006, we signed up with ANZ for a Breakfree mortgage package which included a transaction account and Gold Rewards Visa. Not sure what point scale they were paying back then but fast forward a couple of years, and ANZ changed everyone across to a new scale. I believe the old system was something along the lines of 1 point per $1.50, which was hard for users to follow, so make it easier it became 1pt per $.

Now I am not sure if that was the correct scale for the Gold cards back then or not, or if that scale only applied to regular cards.

Forward again to 3 years ago, we were automatically rolled over to a Platinum Card as ANZ killed off the Gold. Then 2 years ago we added AMEX to the equation. Now with the Platinum, they are supposed to be paying 1.5pts per $ on Visa, and 3pts per $ on AMEX. I have just discovered that they are paying us the old rate of 1pt per $ on Visa and 2pts per $ on AMEX, effectively ripping us off for 1/3 our points.

So I ring ANZ and firstly get told that since we are on Breakfree that we get reduced rewards. I point out that is bull as even their PDS specifically states there is no reduction in account features for Breakfree, at which point they back down. Then I get escalated to another muppet who now claims that since we are paying the old Rewards annual fee of $22, instead of the current $55, that is why, and that any brochure currently on the ANZ site relates to new sign ups, not old ones.

My first issue with that is that the general PDS states that for detailed rewards conditions, refer to the rewards website. When I go to the rewards site, the PDS there specifically states 3pts per $ on AMEX, etc, just like I am claiming. This is the only terms available on the site, and that is under my login, not just general info.

I have pointed out that their PDS clearly states that Platinum Cards are 3pts/1.5pts, and there is no mention of any lower rate for old cards. There is also no mention at all of what the annual fee is in there, and no allowance for a reduced fee equalling a reduced payout.

To top this off, as soon as I pointed out the error, they correct dthe rate of pay without hesitation, but are refusing to backpay.

This muppet in the complaints department (who has a severe attitude problem despite me staying quite calm even though this has been dragging on for weeks) keeps saying that reduced fee equals reduced rate and my agreed rate would be dictated by when I signed up, not by any current terms and conditions. He insists on completely ignoring that his argument is voided by the fact that I was rolled over to a Platinum account at a time when they were definitely paying 3pts/1.5pts. If I was still on a Gold account, it may be a possible excuse, but those terms were voided when my Gold side was closed down.

He has stated that he "may" be able to get a partial payment as a "good will gesture." Next time he says that I will reach down the phone and throttle the patronising cough! A goodwill gesture is if I stuff up and overdraw an account or something but they reverse a reasonable fee anyway to keep me happy, it is NOT a goodwill gesture when they are correcting their mistake!

I have calculated all the missing points back to when we rolled across to Platinum, and it equals something in the vicinity of 300,000 points, a couple of thousand $ worth, hence my continued fight.

I have now also found an old Gold card PDS from 2010 where they state that Gold cards should also have been paid at 1.5pts per $ on Visa, not the 1 per 1 we have been getting, so the issue appears to go back even further than I originally thought.

I have fought up the chain to end at this idiot who just keep parroting that I was on a reduced fee. I keep pointing out to him that there is nowhere in the PDS that allows for a reduced fee or reduced rewards points, and that if ANZ charged the wrong fee, then that is their problem. Initially, out of frustration, i told him to back charge the extra fee for the 3 years, but now I am going to tell him to shove that as he has continued to argue with me the whole way and waste more of my time, despite me pulling out every term and condition against them.

Hoping someone may have something to help, or even better, an incredibly long shot, anyone who has any old ANZ Rewards docs from around the 2006 era forwards, or anyone who was rolled over from Gold to Platinum when they shut down the old Gold cards.

This idiot I am stuck with is just failing to see logic and keeps pulling out excuses that have nothing to do with their own contracted terms and conditions. I cannot believe someone so illogical and stubborn and patronising works in their complaints department of all places!

I am on the verge of going to the Ombudsman, but hoping for some more ammo!

Cheers all in advance!

Oh, and any Platinum card holders, check what rate they are ACTUALLY paying you on your purchases!!!

Edit for clarity, BTW, this is on their normal Rewards Card, not the QFF card.

2nd edit, should also point out, I have read the previous posts on here about the changes when they occurred from Gold to Platinum, all I can find is the reference that when Gold rolled over to Platinum, there was no change in points paid, and that underlines my understanding that we were being paid the wrong rate all the way back to when we had the Gold card.

Last edited:
We moved out of ANZ quite a while ago because their offering is not competitive.
Cannot give you ammo as we left for far greener pastures. ANZ was a leader around the nineties so that was two decades ago.

Definitely take it to the banking ombudsman.
The banks hate it and it costs them money to defend it.
Cheaper for them to cough up the points.

We have recently switched our home loan away from them, so am starting to think we may do that with the cards too. From what I have been reading though, for normal rewards cards, i.e., not FF ones, I believe this is one of the best for our level of spend, about 15k per month. Need to look into it more. After the way they have handled this even when it was just at the enquiry stage, and several other complete stuff ups with our accounts over the years, I am very much over them.

I won't recommend Citibank but there is a thread here on AFF for a lifetime free credit card on offer that earns fair points. Just don't think that their back office is glued together very well and it may be a struggle to get the card issued.
Otherwise Westpac Black cards work well but the annual fees are viewed on AFF as steep.
The Woolworths Everyday Rewards credit card has been my favourite card for use where there are no extra bonuses.

Citi offer seems good if we just had Visa, same points paid per dollar but rewards are slightly cheaper, i.e., $100 shopping vouchers hover around the 20,000 point mark at ANZ, 18,000 odd mark with Citi, however we use our AMEX quite a bit which would more than make up of that difference, and Citi don't have AMEX.

Westpac rate seems good, and like Citi, the points to claim are slightly lower, just need to work out if the extra fees are going to make it worthwhile, somehow I think not. On to Woolies then to check them out.

Lodge a case to financial ombudsman, most of the time someone from ANZ will send an apology and all of your back date points as long as you hold right logic and T&C.

reduced points earn is common with ANZ.

generally if you pay a lower rewards program fee you earn less points per dollar.

i had one of their ANZ Qantas Frequent Flyer cards with the low $55 total annual fee and I earn only 1 QFF point per four dollars spent.

Even on breakfree, ANZ never waives the reward program fees.

Yes, I realise on Breakfree I still pay the fee, and am happy to. One of their people on the phones tried to argue that the Breakfree was the reason that I have been paid a lower rewards scale, despite me proving with their own documentation that that was incorrect. They seem to just try spout off some reason in the hope I will just trust them and swallow it, they don't actually go off and do any research or read their own terms and conditions.

What I have located, via a web archive, is the roll out details for when ANZ upgraded all Gold card holders to Platinum, back in late 2010. This page capture is dated 27th October 2010 when they upgraded all Gold cards to Platinum. It is the website version of the info that was rolled out to existing members along with their new cards. Unfortunately this website won't let me post links unless I have more than 10 posts, so you will have to trust me on what it says, but it clearly states, I quote:

"All the benefits of Platinum with no additional charges. We’re changing ANZ Rewards Gold to ANZ Rewards Platinum at no additional charge to our existing ANZ Rewards Gold customers. We’re making these changes because we’ve listened to our customers’ feedback about what they want out of their credit card."

This is the info that ANZ supplied to all existing members. It does also state on this page, slightly ambiguously:

"Your earn rate on purchases for Reward Points[SUP]1[/SUP] stays the same"

... however, looking down the page at the point number 1, it says

"
1. Reward Points and Bonus Reward Points accrue in accordance with the ANZ Rewards - Rewards Program Terms and Conditions"

... and reading the Rewards brochure that applies at that time, dated 09/2010, it clearly states 1.5 points for Visa, 3 points for AMEX, and there is absolutely no clause allowing for a lower rate of rewards per $. And if their intention is to pay a lower rate, then that quite simply is not "ALL the benefits of Platinum" that they claim at the stop of the page. It is stated in writing that these terms apply to existing account holders, but they are now not honouring it.

I know my paperwork at the time that they sent me clearly stated it too, but I am trying to locate copies of all this info as ammo as this person I am stuck with as my ANZ contact just is not playing ball. He has been unable to provide any form of documentation or proof to counter any of my claims or disprove the PDSs and everything I have supplied, he is just running off a gut feeling that I should be paid a lower rate based purely on what his understanding of the situation is. If this were the truly the case, then he would be able to find an old PDS or something that backs up his assertion and counters my argument. He has nothing, but is still refusing to cooperate.

Interesting, i went to dig deeper as my parents are on breakfree package and they use to have the Rewards Gold prior to being converted to Platinum automatically.

The breakfree package would not be the reason you would be paying a lower rewards program fee on the platinum card.

I'm reading this from my parent's ANZ statements. I have just downloaded a ANZ Rewards Gold Visa statement from 2009 and I can confirm that the annual fee is $57 and the reward program fee is $22. After the rollout, on Platinum the rewards program fee has increased to $55 on their card statement.

If you have been on the $22 fee since, then you are getting the GOLD earn rates. I suggest pointing out that you should have been paying $55 per year and earning the Platinum earn rates.

Cheers for the feedback there, every little bit helps put the puzzle together. Can I ask if they have an Amex? And if so, did they have the Amex back when it was Gold?

no worries. These are my parent's cards. They had the Gold Rewards Visa back when there was no Amex.

Yes they did get the Amex cards attached to it later on. I have a feeling that somewhere ANZ may have forgotten to increase your rewards program fee and increase your earn rate. As its contrary to what the ANZ Platinum Reward earns.

I was speaking to my parents last night about their ANZ Gold Rewards Visa as you have started a very interesting case.

You might be shocked to learn of this but apparently all Gold Rewards card holders were moved to a product that had a significantly lower earn rate which is 1:1 for VISA and 2:1 for AMEX instead of the real Platinum earn rates at 1.5:1 on VISA and 3:1 on AMEX. The lower earn rate is consistent with ANZ removing their Gold Rewards product and splashing new platinum paint on existing gold cards. In the end, it's still a Gold product and it's not the real Platinum Rewards card.

My parents were lucky enough to cancel this lite-version Platinum product and convert to the real deal. Since the Breakfree package includes annual fee waivers for the actual Platinum product, they were happy to pay the higher rewards program fee for the real deal. $55 for the Platinum Rewards program as opposed to their Gold Rewards program at $22.

Thanks, yes, that is exactly what I suspect their intention was and what they have done, however they promoted the roll over to Platinum as, in their words, "all the benefits of Platinum" however reduced points means that this is a blatant lie, plus all the PDS docs that they supplied at the time along with all the Rewards newsletters, everything they have supplied since, indicates it should be the higher rate. I think they intended to pay the reduced rate, but have actually forgotten to put it in writing, and have communicated the increased rate to everyone.

Check carefully because there should be a Letter of Offer that stipulates the earn rate for you. This Letter of Offer will override any earn rate that is mentioned in the PDS.

It will be a losing case once they re-send you the letter you allegedly didn't receive in 2010.

From their website this is the link inviting those to add an Amex to their account. It shows the reduced earn rates for existing members.

http://www.anz.com.au/personal/credit-cards/existing-card-holders/improved-rewards/

Dear....

You should receive your new card(s) in the next three to five business days.

Your formal Letter of Offer is also attached and contains important information about your account and forms part of your contract. You should file this letter somewhere safe for future reference.

What you need to know.

We're also happy to confirm the Reward Points** you will earn on your:

ANZ Rewards Platinum American Express card:

• 2 Reward Points for every $1 spent on purchases.
ANZ Rewards Visa Platinum card:

• 1 Reward Points for every $1 spent on purchases.

** Reward Points and Bonus Reward Points accrue in accordance with the ANZ Rewards – Rewards Program Terms and Conditions (PDF 656kB) (please call 13 22 73 for a copy). Purchases exclude cash, cash equivalent transactions and premiums paid for ANZ Credit Card Insurance. Some existing customers may be subject to a different Reward Points earn rate on their ANZ Rewards American Express card and/or ANZ Rewards Visa card. Customers should call 13 22 73 for information regarding the Reward Points earn rate that applies to their account or refer to their monthly credit card statement.

The last sentence in their terms really applies to all existing card holders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back