ANZ Black - will the insurance cover tickets if an airline becomes insolvent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lunne

Hi all, I have some trips booked directly with Australian, US and EU airlines late this year that I'm a little concerned about given the financial implications of COVID-19.

The tickets have been paid with my ANZ Black credit card (Qantas). Can someone who knows the insurance terms please provide some insight on whether I could seek compensation if an airline would become insolvent and consequently cancel the tickets?

This is an extract from their "Premium Cards Insurances":

2.1.1 WHAT WE COVER
If during the period of cover provided, your journey is
cancelled, disrupted or rescheduled because of circumstances
that were not expected or intended by you and are outside of
your control we will reimburse you

But then, when it comes to exclusions...

2.1.2 WHAT WE EXCLUDE
To the extent permitted by law we will not pay your claim if:

d) caused by insolvency or financial collapse of a services
provider with whom you made a booking or insolvency
or financial collapse of any company, organisation or
person with whom they deal;

Are the airlines considered "services provider" under these terms? What the heck - the whole point of having a good CC is to back you up in insolvency situations when services haven't been delivered!

It won’t cover insolvency. Unfortunately, this is pretty common.

Ok, thanks. Are there any credit cards in Australia that does? If so, I'll have to look over my CC portfolio.

Reason for asking is that I'm not originally from Australia but Europe and the credit card providers over there will normally take care of you if an airline goes into insolvency. In fact, that's probably the main reason why most people even use credit cards to pay for travel.

Last edited:
The insurance cover itself might not help but you may be able to do a credit card chargeback. This is what happened after Ansett collapsed in 2001.

The insurance cover itself might not help but you may be able to do a credit card chargeback. This is what happened after Ansett collapsed in 2001.

correct. but you must request the chargeback on basis of "service paid for not provided"
start obfuscating the request with other stories and likely bank will deny your claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back