ANZ Auto Assist Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damien

Does anyone have any personal experience with either ANZ Auto Assist or ANZ Auto Assist Plus? My two RACQ memberships are due for renewal and I'm wondering if this might be a better option. It's certainly not as expensive.

Your thoughts?

Damien said:
Does anyone have any personal experience with either ANZ Auto Assist or ANZ Auto Assist Plus? My two RACQ memberships are due for renewal and I'm wondering if this might be a better option. It's certainly not as expensive.

Your thoughts?
I believe it's better than most Auto Club (*ACV) type memberships. They used to be a service to members, now they have become a money spinner.

Also, you are covered for breakdown assistance on ANY car you happen to be driving!

The ANZ has an additional benefit of covering much of the large excess that may be charged by car rental companies without the need for any additional costs (such as excess reduction fees).

serfty said:
The ANZ has an additional benefit of covering much of the large excess that may be charged by car rental companies without the need for any additional fee (such as excess reduction fees).

Also, you are covered for ANY car you happen to be driving!

Does it apply even to your own car? That way you could save a lot by taking a very high excess on your personal car insurance as well and supplementing it with the ANZ Excess Reduction - surely this isn't right?

beardoc said:
serfty said:
The ANZ has an additional benefit of covering much of the large excess that may be charged by car rental companies without the need for any additional fee (such as excess reduction fees).

Also, you are covered for ANY car you happen to be driving!

Does it apply even to your own car? That way you could save a lot by taking a very high excess on your personal car insurance as well and supplementing it with the ANZ Excess Reduction - surely this isn't right?

Nice try! :D It applies only to rental cars. The ANY car that serfty was referring to is for the auto assist, not the rental insurance.

Damien said:
... Nice try! :D It applies only to rental cars. The ANY car that serfty was referring to is for the auto assist, not the rental insurance.
Yes, that's correct. I have reorganised my post to make that clearer.

Auto Assist - Avoidance

I joined Auto Assist Plus (@$55Aus) a few months ago, and had a reason to ring them when I had a minor electrical fire on my motorbike in Cairns on Friday last.

Well they did everything they could to avoid helping me - all I wanted was a tow to the closest BMW bike dealer (about 2 Kms) during mid afternoon. They hedged, ducked and dived telling me that a fire is not covered. I left that be for the time (being distressed at being stranded with out any transport), instead geting my own tow vehicle organised.

Once I got home I read and re read the terms and conditions very carefully, then decided to get in contact with the managment of Auto Assist Plus - I spoke to a Mr Kevin Wilson, and he again avoided responsibility for any assistance saying that Accidents are not covered - and that electrical fires are accidents, and various other insinuations that I might have poored petrol over the bike and set fire to it - really crazy stuff indeed.

I could not get him to give me any more details of any higher authority - in fact he said "I don't need to give you any information" - so all I have is a few brick walls so far - but I gather that when it comes time to use the service you pay for - they are very much less than helpful and the concept of comprehensive roadside assistance is perhaps a bit of Con.

I would be interested if anyone has needed to use the service and how they were treated ?

Kevin also confirmed that Auto Assist is not part of ANZ, and they are contractors.

I will be going back to NRMA or try RACQ for a change since I hope to relocate to QLD permanently.

Cheers

Peter

Re: Auto Assist - Avoidance

peter stein said:
I joined Auto Assist Plus (@$55Aus) a few months ago, and had a reason to ring them when I had a minor electrical fire on my motorbike in Cairns on Friday last.
Learning from hindsight is helpful. Next time when you call it will be with a small electrical problem rather than an electrical fire.

Reminds me of a friend who said he had an electrical problem with V8 Holden Kingswood ... the con-rod knocked a hole in the distributor as it ploughed through the side of the block at 7000 RPM.
peter stein said:
I will be going back to NRMA or try RACQ for a change since I hope to relocate to QLD permanently.
I had very good service from RACQ last Easter when I had a need to call them when my fan belt started to fall apart at 6pm on Easter Sunday while in Toowoomba. Since Monday was a public holiday and they could not repair my vehicle within 24 hours (and that mean supplying a new fan belt), and I was more than 100km from home (about 120km), they towed the vehicle to the nearest RACQ service centre, called a Maxi Taxi to transport our family (all six of us) and our belongings (we had been staying in Toowoomba for the weekend) to hastily arranged accommodation, and arranged for a renal car to be collected the following day (Monday) for our use until our car was fixed on Tuesday morning. The only cost to me was the fuel for the rental car (the only thing they could find available in Toowoomba on Easter Monday that would accommodate all 6 of us was a Toyota Land cruiser).

So a big thumbs up for RACQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back