Any one Changed away from Amex Since Devaluation

Status
Not open for further replies.

GJL

Have other members changed heir credit card habits, since Amex unilaterally devalued both existing and future points transferred to Airline partners? I hope so as I feel Amex is no longer deserving of our loyalty. I have changed to using a Visa as my preferred card, with direct Qantas points rewards. This reduces my choices but gives twice the points now offered on Amex transfers. I consider Amex’s decision in relation to existing points a breach of good faith, as I accumulated them, over a long period of loyalty to Amex, on the basis of a one for one transfer, now reduced to one for two.
Hopefully Amex will notice that their business suffers from this change and possibly rethink their decision to become uncompetitive.

Welcome aboard GJL, while not as good - I still find value in my Amex cards but yes my habits have changed

I'm still getting more points, with more transfer partners, from my Amex (1.125-1.25) than from Visa/MC options. I don't see Amex as being "uncompetitive", just not as super-charged competitive as previously. But then I'm not aware of a Visa that offers "twice the points" (2.25-2.5) so I may be way off base.

I have consolidated to my Amex Charge Card. It’s made my life easier (though less points lucrative) as a result. I was earning 2ppd on Explorer which I imagine wasn’t Amex’s original intention with Explorer when it was released. I agree I’m still putting most of my activity on Amex as whilst it’s no longer the standout it was, it’s still significantly more points earn than Visa. Suspect my Visa may devalue again. Hopefully Amex is done for a long time now unless our currency craters.

I am ditching Explorer in September, Charge card in May, keeping my business charge card as the travel insurance is better in any case. Overall spend is down, diverted to visa/master.

I’m still holding two AMEX cards (got rid of one other) but have reduced the spend on them massively. With airline redemptions the points value is effectively halved. That’s the killer.

My patterns haven’t changed - mix of Centurion, Plat Charge and Reserve. Still the best combination out there for what I use it for. I wish Amex would improve the forex fees and then they would get a lot more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back