Any mega point offers coming up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

futago flyer

Intern
Sorry if this thread is in the wrong place - please move it if that's the case.

Does anyone know of a good QFF points grab by starting a credit card? I have noticed that some offer a good upfront points offer for joining up with them.

I have seen Amex offered 40 000 points on one of their cards earlier this year and I'm wondering if it would be worth hanging out to see if anything like that is offered again.

Does anyone know if this is likely? Anyone heard of a big points promotion coming?

AMEX Qantas Card has 5k points on first spend for $0. It's hardly mega, but I think due to the credit crunch most of the mega deals have dried up for a while.

Qantas American Express Premium Card

Earn up to 17,500 QFF points, with conditions attached, but an annual fee of $249. When did they increase the annual fee? I do not remember receiving any documentation from Amex that the annual fee was increasing. At $249 it is not looking so attractive....

They've changed the basic Qantas card as well, it's now got a $149 annual fee. Certainly not the good value it was just a few days ago.

$249 for the premium card? :(

Guess will have to threaten Amex to cancel and get the fee waived :D

Just noticed that the basic Qantas Amex card is no longer a good deal.
My wife and I each got separate cards in the last 6 months.
Each card gave us 5000 point on the first spend, plus we used both cards for QF bookings and got $50 rebate from QF on each card. So that was 10000 points and $100 rebate with no annual fee.

Now the same card offers only 2500 on first spend, no rebate and $149 annual fee. Mmm... value days are over.

Curious, I am certain that the guy on the phone when I took out the card assured me there was no fee on this card for life. Be interesting to see what happens when the first year ends.

Just noticed that the basic Qantas Amex card is no longer a good deal.
My wife and I each got separate cards in the last 6 months.
Each card gave us 5000 point on the first spend, plus we used both cards for QF bookings and got $50 rebate from QF on each card. So that was 10000 points and $100 rebate with no annual fee.

Now the same card offers only 2500 on first spend, no rebate and $149 annual fee. Mmm... value days are over.

Curious, I am certain that the guy on the phone when I took out the card assured me there was no fee on this card for life. Be interesting to see what happens when the first year ends.

Your recollection is correct. The assurance I got was no annual fee for life (I assume they mean my life) as long as I held my Gold charge card.

This shouldalso be refelected in thefinancial table that would have been sent to you when you got the card. While you should pay attention to your statement, AMEX do seem to be able to cope with this situation so be alert not alarmed. :)
i
They have many cards on issue with all sorts of fees etc attached, and just because you can't get that deal now, the conditions will still apply to th existing card

I used to trust financial institutions....now I keep the original offer documentation and cross-check.

i saw a few on the Sydney Airport Shopping site in the T1 section.
Some were like earn triple points on duty free etc

Thanks for all the replies. I got an Amex no annual fee with the 5000 points - looks like just in time.

Also got $50 off my qantas flight thanks to the amex rebate.

So looks like I got in before these cards headed south...

Guess I was just being greedy thinking that I could get some more points this way. Seems like the credit crunch and Qantas' change of direct sweeps to CC (such as Amex) is effecting the big points on offer.

All the cards with Qantas ties seem to be getting worse... :-|

Thanks for all the replies. I got an Amex no annual fee with the 5000 points - looks like just in time.
Just check the terms and conditions on the no annual fee for life. The Amex Qantas card was fee free but now has an annual fee and the other Amex Qantas cards have had their fees increased.

Just check the terms and conditions on the no annual fee for life. The Amex Qantas card was fee free but now has an annual fee and the other Amex Qantas cards have had their fees increased.
I did post my experience on this in another thread I had this card before amex introduced the $0 fee. I got charged my annual fee not long after they put on the $0 fee for the base qantas amex. So I rang to query, I was told that when I signed up the fee was in place and therefore I'd agreed to the fee. Hence the base CSR couldn't waive the fee. This seems to be their policy that you pay the fee you agreed to when signing up.

Of course, I asked to cancel and the CSR in cancellations area moved me to the $0 fee. This seems to have registered properly because the next month they charged me the supp. card fee which was quickly reversed with no problems due to the fee-free status being noted.

If amex do apply this policy about paying the fee agreed to at sign up when it goes against them, then I expect to be charged no fee next year. If they do charge the fee it's cancellation time....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back