Another Disappointment with my $1200 p.a. Amex Platinum Charge Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digger11

Intern
First is was the "free night" offered at a Hotel is only available in the Asia-Pacific Region. Not a biggy, but never mentioned in any of the T's and C's and I was keen to use in the UK when on holidays later this year.
Now I find out that the $200 "travel credit" has restrictions as well. Wanted to book a hire car in Scotland for 4 days and drop off at Heathrow. [Amex Travel] computer says a big NO.
Another part of the fine print (but not even in the fine print actually) that all car hire where you can use the $200 travel credit, involves returning the car to the original depot.
I thought this card was good to start - but now thinking it is fraught with stupid rules to make it pretty useless to me. Doubt I will renew, just don't like the feel of adding in little unfair restrictions that are never mentioned upfront.

If I wanted my free Hotel Night to be in say Antarctica and then hire a Pink Striped Cadillac then I would say my expectations would be a bit unfair to Amex - but a free hotel night in the UK with the $200 credit going towards a hire car from Scotland to Heathrow is just normal stuff and absolutely what I expected when I paid over my yearly fee of $1,200.

VERY DISAPPOINTED AMEX, VERY DISAPPOINTED.

The car hire restriction is a bit odd, maybe it has something to do with commissions?
The free night you are referring to the Accor Plus - which is a benefit of the Accor Plus program and not an Amex condition. This is because AP is an asia pacific thing, not entirely owned by Accor and is essentially a marketing program.

As much as we love hearing stories here - wouldn't your feedback be better sent to Amex?

As much as we love hearing stories here - wouldn't your feedback be better sent to Amex?
Hi Trippin, the above is pretty much word for word same as the complaint i have already lodged with Amex.

My issue is the deceptive nature of the entitlements, not sure if they do this on purpose. But when you advertise a free night in a hotel, i expect a free night in a hotel, not some Asia Pacific only restriction.
A $200 credit off rental cars i would think should be restriction free as well.

If if you cancelled the card and just paid for those freebies, you'd still be ahead. I never got charged the $1200 when I had it, so maybe ring and ask nicely

Hi Digger11
I really like my Plat Charge card. As mentioned by trippin the Accor plus benefits are set by Accor but I find that the benefits far outweigh the cost of the card in my case.

My issue is the deceptive nature of the entitlements, not sure if they do this on purpose. But when you advertise a free night in a hotel, i expect a free night in a hotel, not some Asia Pacific only restriction. A $200 credit off rental cars i would think should be restriction free as well.
All the marketing material I have seen says that the free night was provided through Accor Plus for stays in Australia and Asia Pacific. i just had a look on the Amex website and that was more or less what it said everywhere.

The Accor Plus benefit is a bit sucky for only Asia-Pacific, plus also paying extra for some rooms, but stack this on top of the Platinum Reserve's free flight and you have yourself a nice weekend away around Australia.

I'm contemplating cancelling my card, but one other thing to keep in mind is Accor's 50% off dinning for two for most of their restaurants, makes date night cheaper.

Hi Digger11
I really like my Plat Charge card. As mentioned by trippin the Accor plus benefits are set by Accor but I find that the benefits far outweigh the cost of the card in my case.

I dont meant to thread drift too much, but I'd be interested in the benefits you (or anyone else) find useful? Trying to decide what I'd find useful :)

I dont meant to thread drift too much, but I'd be interested in the benefits you (or anyone else) find useful? Trying to decide what I'd find useful :)

Lounge access via Priority Pass and Amex. The Centurion lounges in the US are really nice. $200 Travel credit, free nights accommodation via Accor.
I have a high spend on travel and restaurants so it's really easy to rack up the points.

Lounge access via Priority Pass and Amex. The Centurion lounges in the US are really nice. $200 Travel credit, free nights accommodation via Accor.
I have a high spend on travel and restaurants so it's really easy to rack up the points.

Thanks PF :)

The points earning on travel and restaurants is the same as the Qantas Ultimate Amex, right? 3x on restaurants, 2x accomodation, 2x overseas etc?

The benefits seem nowhere near as good as the equivalent card in the US, otherwise I would probably think about it.

OP should cheer up because they saved a fortune by not getting a Centurion card

I held Plat for a number of years then upgraded to Cent then cancelled all AMEX cards as IMHO none of them could stack up for me against Citi Select and now Prestige - however with changes coming to Prestige FF conversion rate Plat may again be viable. I have not spent a lot of time analysing benefits but will get to that next month or so. I recently took Plat up again for the 100K pts earn plus a couple referrals - Prestige I pay no annual fee - can I substantiate $1,200 Ann fee for Plat? Maybe at best - but FF pts earning is going to get harder and harder so need to look at all pts earning opportunities.

The benefits seem nowhere near as good as the equivalent card in the US, otherwise I would probably think about it.

Agree, but my card is $950 PA (Professional association) and I easily eke out $950 worth of benefits due to my travel schedule.

First is was the "free night" offered at a Hotel is only available in the Asia-Pacific Region. Not a biggy, but never mentioned in any of the T's and C's and I was keen to use in the UK when on holidays later this year.
Now I find out that the $200 "travel credit" has restrictions as well. Wanted to book a hire car in Scotland for 4 days and drop off at Heathrow. [Amex Travel] computer says a big NO.
Another part of the fine print (but not even in the fine print actually) that all car hire where you can use the $200 travel credit, involves returning the car to the original depot.
I thought this card was good to start - but now thinking it is fraught with stupid rules to make it pretty useless to me. Doubt I will renew, just don't like the feel of adding in little unfair restrictions that are never mentioned upfront.

If I wanted my free Hotel Night to be in say Antarctica and then hire a Pink Striped Cadillac then I would say my expectations would be a bit unfair to Amex - but a free hotel night in the UK with the $200 credit going towards a hire car from Scotland to Heathrow is just normal stuff and absolutely what I expected when I paid over my yearly fee of $1,200.

VERY DISAPPOINTED AMEX, VERY DISAPPOINTED.

It's been enhanced since I had one, got rid of mine years ago :)

Yes I believe so. The extras are the hotel memberships and lounge access.

Which apply to all supplementary cardholders too. All of my supp cards now have Accor platinum and spg gold.

Then there is the travel insurance which is best in market IMO (valid for non .au residents too) and let's not forget the emergency services such as cash availability (which I've used and works great), indirectly this cars got me Hyatt and Hilton diamond last month and that it's the only card on the market you can transfer to qantas and other airlines.

Add into this the yearly points offer for retaining the card and $1200 becomes worthwhile.

If you don't travel, hit the card for more than 300K, or you're always in first class and stay in penthouse suites I agree the card may be difficult to extract additional value from.

Between this and Citi prestige I think it's a perfect combo for most travellers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back