Annual Fee - Platinum Credit Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

troysteel

Has anyone been able to get their $395 fee waived or discounted for their platinum credit card? It just doesn't seem to be good value anymore with the introduction of the Qantas cards.

Hi

I am a Amex/Qantas Ultimate cardholder (basically the same as the platinum) and I rang to cancel.

The offer was

• Reduction in the APR to 12.74%
OR

• 1/2 price annual fee.
I was on an already reduced annual fee of $250 (I dont know why but it had something to do with having a gold card which I dont have any more) making the annual fee only $125.

They also comped me a gold charge card too.

I think a lot of this has to do with the amount you book up every year and how long you have been with AMEX.

Good luck

ok, called them up. yeah, they only give discounts if you have a charge card, which is probably what you had. They will not budge on the fee, what they will do is give you a retention bonus of either $100 DJ voucher, $100 harvey norman voucher, or a $250 food voucher. wonder if i can threaten to cancel every year?

troysteel said:
ok, called them up. yeah, they only give discounts if you have a charge card, which is probably what you had. They will not budge on the fee, what they will do is give you a retention bonus of either $100 DJ voucher, $100 harvey norman voucher, or a $250 food voucher. wonder if i can threaten to cancel every year?

I threaten to cancel every 6 months (albeit covertly). "How much would it cost to reduce my card balance to zero? Im thinking of cancelling - its not worth my while to keep the card." This usually gets me through to the retention team who usually have something to offer you. Its worth a try - didnt work with ANZ though - they cancelled me and I had to beg to get my platinum Visa back.

There is another post on here where one of the members got a free coffee machine.

It doesnt hurt to ask

I rang up the other day to "test the water" about cancelling and must have got a newby as he basically said "see ya", Last year I did the same and got the $100 Harvey Norman voucher.

A point to consider though, if you have booked and paid for a trip with the card, any insurance that you may have been covered with by using the card is void if you are no longer a card holder.

I am doing J class to US/Eurfope next year and was about to pay for the trip. I think I will cancel the card, then apply for the new QF Amex gold card with 17500 bonus points for only $195 and get the insurance. This was I save $200 and still get the insurance. I don't need the "image" of platinum. I'd rather save the $200!!

bigmal,

I don't follow all the CC options here so could you confirm the FF points from the Gold Card? Is it still 1.5 per dollar spend?

Qantas Gold card is 1.25 per dollar (1 bonus earned on QF spend)
Qantas Ultimat is 1.5 per dollar (1 bonus earned on QF spend)

I was aware of the drop in points but if I spend $100K pa, it is only 25K points I lose. I still think $200 in the hand.........

I also have no use for the free flight as I live in Cairns and it is only available Capital City to Capital City.

Has anyone been able to change this to a non-capital port for the free flight?

I got the fee down to $125 as I WAS a gold charge card holder. ($250PA/2)

Other option was a reduction in APR to 12.74%

If you complain youll get something.

it's almost worth it just to get the charge card which $130 per year, because you'll save more than that on the platinum credit card fee.

I have an Amex Platinum Credit Card and after Amex took Perth out of the SYD/PER routing for the free flight I contacted Amex to cancel the card and revert back to a Amex Rewards Maximiser at $192 pa. I thought that for the extra $200 pa for the Plat card I could get a discount tix between major cities on the east coast for a lot less than that, and I am mainly concerned with earning the 1.5 points per dollar. Considering others on this forum my CC use is small, but I still manage to put on average of $8K per month for both business and private use. Anyway, Amex told me that I was in to top 10% of monthly 'payers' (not users) and they wanted to keep me as a customer. When I explained what is detailed above he said he would send me out a $100 David Jones Gift Card to soften the blow, but when I received the card it expired in 2 months so I sent it back to them. They phoned me as to the reason, and after explaining that I had reconsidered, that the card they sent expired, and that Perth flight was my main reason for the card he send me the same card to use within the two months and another card to use within 8 months, plus I still get the east coast flight. So, will keep the Plat card until the renewal date in May next year and then revert back to the Rewards Maxiser as the extra cost is of no benefit to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back