Amex withdraws its Asia Pacific - issued US$ Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

SIA1A

I've used an International US$ Amex for many years. I initially applied for it when working in the Middle East - it was issued by the UK (Brighton) Amex office.

When I moved to Indonesia, Amex automatically re-issued the card out of its Hong Kong office. A new card number was generated but the same "member since" year was embossed on the card. The back office work was subsequently moved to Sydney.

Recently Amex in Hong Kong called "as a courtesy" to let me know that the card had been "cancelled, please cut it diagonally" - and "you have 12 days to redeem any unused rewards points." Very abrupt for a card in excellent standing, huh? (The person calling was a sweet young Chinese girl from the Hong Kong office and seemed very matter-of-fact about the gravity of her news.)

Er, why, I asked? Answer: "Management decision. US$ cards will now only be handled out of the UK and USA."

Well, how about transferring my account to an office that handles International US$ accounts, I suggested. "Best you apply on the web yourself. We cannot help."

Good service, eh? If the good customers get treated this way, how do the less attractive customers fare? I really don't understand why a card issuer would waste its time deliberately dropping good customers - especially when Amex seems to spend gazillions trying to recruit new members.

Needless to say, I can't be bothered re-applying from ground zero for a US or UK - issued International US$ card - unless Amex is prepared to assist with the process.

Last edited:
Frustrating.

Although, see if this page helps : American Express

Perhaps they'll do a hassle free transfer over the phone for you when you explain what you're looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back