AMEX Travel- Limited fare classes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvmceg

Could someone please let me know if AMEX Travel has a limited range of fare class availability with Air NZ?

The lowest fare is 'seat+bag' for Air NZ through AMEX. However, I can pay ~$110 less per person through Air NZ direct and access 'Seat Only' fares, or indeed get the same 'seat+bag' direct and still be paying less...

Is it worth calling AMEX?

Last edited:
With a few threads recently about the Amex Travel site, I think there's definitely issues (although not sure if it's the cause in this case). I've also had issues where flights don't show up in searches and I can't even find the exact flights I'm booked on anymore!

I don't have any experience with Air NZ but last year, I found booking direct with the airline was cheaper and I called up Amex Travel and asked them for a quote. They quoted the more expensive one I found on their site and I told them it was cheaper direct with the airline so I'll just book with the airline. They asked me to wait while they investigated and later called back saying they were able to get the same price after they had to adjust the booking class for one of the legs. I was still able to use the travel credit over the phone with that booking so if you are using Amex Travel to use your travel credit, I think it's worth giving them a call to confirm.

With a few threads recently about the Amex Travel site, I think there's definitely issues (although not sure if it's the cause in this case). I've also had issues where flights don't show up in searches and I can't even find the exact flights I'm booked on anymore!

I don't have any experience with Air NZ but last year, I found booking direct with the airline was cheaper and I called up Amex Travel and asked them for a quote. They quoted the more expensive one I found on their site and I told them it was cheaper direct with the airline so I'll just book with the airline. They asked me to wait while they investigated and later called back saying they were able to get the same price after they had to adjust the booking class for one of the legs. I was still able to use the travel credit over the phone with that booking so if you are using Amex Travel to use your travel credit, I think it's worth giving them a call to confirm.

Thanks for the info! Interestingly, my amex portal explicitly says the Travel credit must be used online only.

Ill give it a go!

Air NZ is a funny one with their fare types and a lot of the online booking engines struggle to differentiate/communicate what's included in what fare class. It's really only NZ that does it that way in this region. So it sounds like Amex have just limited the results to seat plus bag fares to stop the complaints from people not realising they didn't book a seat with a bag. My guess, anyway. So if you ring they'll be able to do it at the cheaper price.

Technically, only the credit associated with the Platinum Charge can be used over the phone, but if you are having trouble with the web site (and it is total cough) they should allow you to use online only credits over the phone.

I've also been told by an agent who put it in writing to me that if you have a platinum charge, they will help you over the phone with any booking using travel credits (i.e. using my Edge credit when I have a Plat Charge). This was after I cracked it that I'm a little tired of their online team which doesn't appear to get the same training that their platinum travel (phone) team gets. I have a simple view that if I pay the fee to be a platinum charge card member, I should be a platinum member, regardless of which "credit" I happen to be using...

There's certainly a situation where particular fare classes (such as QF Sale fares) don't appear on the AMEX site. I have always been of the belief that this is just the way the site is and I'll only use AMEX travel to book on fares which I know are available. Red e-deals are available for example, just not heavily discounted sale fares.

I would think this would be a similar situation. Interesting to know that you might be able to get them to book cheaper fares by contacting them. It's certainly worth a try.

I've also been told by an agent who put it in writing to me that if you have a platinum charge, they will help you over the phone with any booking using travel credits (i.e. using my Edge credit when I have a Plat Charge). This was after I cracked it that I'm a little tired of their online team which doesn't appear to get the same training that their platinum travel (phone) team gets. I have a simple view that if I pay the fee to be a platinum charge card member, I should be a platinum member, regardless of which "credit" I happen to be using...

I completely agree with you. I have never had any luck using the Edge and Reserve credits over the phone.

Moot point for me now since I am closing all Amex cards in a couple of months and all credits have been used.

I completely agree with you. I have never had any luck using the Edge and Reserve credits over the phone.

Moot point for me now since I am closing all Amex cards in a couple of months and all credits have been used.

I'm still going to stick by the platinum charge as the travel benefits work for me. Other than that though, all other Amex cards will get careful scrutiny. I'm actually looking forward to the simplification...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Recent Posts

Back