Amex surcharge less than VISA or MC on my council rates notice (VIC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lahlee

I got my City of Port Phillip (Melbourne) rates notices this week.

I have not been able to use an Amex to pay these for years. This year not only can I use my Amex, but to pay the bills via the council's website the surcharges are:
VISA/MasterCard 1.16% AMEX .65% Debit cards .59%. Last year there was only a VISA/MC option, and the surcharge was .5%

However on the next line of text it says to pay via Aus Post Bill pay is only .5% for VISA (no Amex).

Personally, It's good timing with the recent offer Amex sent to me. Spend $3,500, get 3000 bonus points.

I rarely use my Amex these days after the devaluation (supermarket/service stations only), this was a timely offer and saves me having to manufacture a bit of spend and buy MORE vouchers from Woolies and Coles.

I noticed City of Boroondara also offered an Amex option for rates payment this year, however the surcharge is less attractive. Visa – 0.78%, Mastercard – 0.78% and Amex – 1.48%

With my Platinum Edge card, aside from supermarket, petrol or overseas spend I only get one point anyway (1/2 by the time I convert it to Krisflyer points), regardless of government spend or not. My St George Amplify Visa gives me about .75 Krisflyer point per dollar, so while the "spend $3500 get 3000 bonus points" is on the table it better for me to use Amex. Yes, I would get more points by buying gift cards at the supermarket, but I really don't need any more at this stage, and these are bills I have to pay anyway. :)

I really miss the 'good old days' of Amex earn.

Meanwhile deft payment portal from Macquarie Bank still charges 3.3% for Amex and 1.5% for Visa...

DEFT payments make me scream every quarter for our strata.

On another note, a local shop owner told me he prefers to accept Amex, as he pays a lower surcharge vs Visa or MC.

wow - that's interesting - Amex was notorious for those high transaction fees for vendors. I guess it's the new 'normal', we get less points from Amex, but the cards are accepted at a lot more places.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back