AMEX Removing Signature from Back of Card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Qantas
LT Gold
Oneworld
Sapphire
Received a survey the other day that I completed today, from AMEX. The main focus was to see if I could tell the difference of a new card design that they presented to me (didn't take a screenshot – but was largely the same), and the part they later zeroed in on was the removal of the signature spot on the back and whether this would bother me/make me trust/use the card more.

One of the other things that I noticed was the word "PLATINUM" was also moved from the front top middle to the back lower left of the card. As the card would still be metal and appropriately coloured, I don't see an issue with the word "PLATINUM" not being on the front, and the middle of the word wouldn't intersect with the centurion anymore I suppose, but some interesting changes coming perhaps?

Just completed the same Amex survery about removing the signature bar - that's about the only change to the card design.
I have Qantas Amex Ultimate card.

Is the implication then that signing won't be an acceptable form for payment verification?

As for removing Platinum from the card, I couldn't care less. The only issue I foresee though is trying to get into an airline lounge (non Amex lounge) and they refuse entry because they don't recognise it as the Platinum Charge card.

Probably going the way of some Mastercards. Embossed numbers seem to be going, I recently received a card without a signature panel....

• Agree
Reactions: RB
Just finished the same survey. I've noticed four differences: the word "PLATINUM", removed from the front of the card, to the back, which is in line with the new design already in place in some other countries like the US; the signature strip, gone; the three-digit security code, now printed under the card expiry MM/YY; the website and contact number info, now in the middle. I like the first two changes but have some reservations about the other two, but I can understand that's mostly a result of the removal of the signature strip. Overall, I'm looking forward to the new design and can't help wait for its arrival in my mailbox a.s.a.p.

Online_Surveys1.jpg

Yikes - no signature panel is fine in Australia (except when you get a new AMEX card account and it seems to make you sign on the very first 'chip insert' transaction), but overseas there are still plenty of places where signatures are required from time to time! Having no signature panel is surely going to result in some businesses not knowing what to do and deciding to cancel the transaction as there's no signature to verify...

...The only issue I foresee though is trying to get into an airline lounge (non Amex lounge) and they refuse entry because they don't recognise it as the Platinum Charge card.
Virgin? As long as you are not the first one try it, they’ll probably manage. 😉

Last edited:
Yikes - no signature panel is fine in Australia (except when you get a new AMEX card account and it seems to make you sign on the very first 'chip insert' transaction), but overseas there are still plenty of places where signatures are required from time to time! Having no signature panel is surely going to result in some businesses not knowing what to do and deciding to cancel the transaction as there's no signature to verify...
Who will use Amex cards when overseas anyway, given the hefty 3% currency conversion fee Amex Australia charges? Yes I agree here Down Under no signature strip is fine, as signature is not required in almost all settings. I haven't even signed any of my current Amex cards;)

Although Amex in the US began progressively phasing out the signature requirement for purchases in 2018. I recently read an article about the US Platinum Charge card no longer having a signature strip.

Last edited:
Plaza Premium is what springs to mind. Also potentially Delta in the US.
The US will be fine. The US-issued Amex Platinum Charge card no longer has Platinum written across it, so shouldn’t be anything new.

Who will use Amex cards when overseas anyway, given the hefty 3% currency conversion fee Amex Australia charges? Yes I agree here Down Under no signature strip is fine, as signature is not required in almost all settings. I haven't even signed any of my current Amex cards;)
With unlimited points and no fixed spending limit, I tend to use mine overseas for work-related expenses that later get reimbursed, as well as for hotel check-in so that any pre-authorisations don't get in the way. If the 3% fee were removed, I'd use it for personal overseas spending too! ;)

With unlimited points and no fixed spending limit, I tend to use mine overseas for work-related expenses that later get reimbursed, as well as for hotel check-in so that any pre-authorisations don't get in the way. If the 3% fee were removed, I'd use it for personal overseas spending too! ;)

Very similar use myself. I also use it for some personal overseas hotel bookings etc for the travel insurance component.

As for removing Platinum from the card, I couldn't care less. The only issue I foresee though is trying to get into an airline lounge (non Amex lounge) and they refuse entry because they don't recognise it as the Platinum Charge card.
As you can see now a screenshot has been posted, the word migrates to the back, so I don't think it's any less obvious.
Plaza Premium is what springs to mind.
Don't you use Priority Pass for that?

As you can see now a screenshot has been posted, the word migrates to the back, so I don't think it's any less obvious.

Don't you use Priority Pass for that?

You can get into Plaza Premiums via both the charge card (Amex direct agreement) itself or Priority Pass. Using the direct Amex agreement is more favourable as you can guest 2 unlike Priority Pass where you can only guest 1. But if it's just you, or you with 1 guest, either method works.

Not all Plaza Premium lounges are on Priority Pass too.

You can get into Plaza Premiums via both the charge card (Amex direct agreement) itself or Priority Pass. Using the direct Amex agreement is more favourable as you can guest 2 unlike Priority Pass where you can only guest 1. But if it's just you, or you with 1 guest, either method works.

Plus, in some Plaza Premium lounges, you get a better experience by using the AMEX to enter (e.g. in Brisbane, it got you the free alcohol pass, whereas Priority Pass entries didn't include this and so you had to pay for drinks at the bar).

From my experience, nobody checks the signature anyway (in the USA many places ask you to sign electronically using your finger).

Additionally all supp card holders have access to Plaza Premium whereas only one can get PP.

Although Amex in the US began progressively phasing out the signature requirement for purchases in 2018. I recently read an article about the US Platinum Charge card no longer having a signature strip.
Both AmEx Platinum Charge and AmEx Gold cards I received in the last 2-3 months (both US-issued) have signature panels at the back.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: DC3
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back