AMEX rejection

Hi all, I've just been knocked back for the AMEX platinum charge card based on a credit inquiry and having recently received a copy of my credit history I believe the decision is incorrect and would like them to review it. The letter that AMEX sent out informing me of my rejection only had a snail mail address for me to direct my queries to.

As a first point of call though I contacted the number provided on the initial e-mail about my application being received (1300 557 743) to ask why I had been rejected despite having an excellent credit rating. The call centre staff looked up my application and stated that "no reason can be given to you to preserve client confidentiality"; a line I never really understand as I am the client and I'm perfectly happy for them to waive confidentiality. They mentioned that there could be other reasons I may have been rejected; namely that I have had AMEX cards in the past and closed them before the anniversary date - although she didn't say she seemed to be implying CC churners can be blacklisted. However, that wasn't what they said in their rejection letter - they clearly stated it was a credit inquiry issue, not that you're a CC churner and have been abusing our system and are therefore banned. There was nothing further she could do to assist so we ended the conversation there.

So, a few queries out of this.

1) Was she bullshitting me just to get me off the line, or do AMEX keep a record of folks who close their cards before their anniversary dates and blacklist them from future applications (I have churned two AMEX cards in the past 5 years).

2) What's the next step? Is there one? HUACA? Write to the snail mail address provided?

Any data points on the above greatly appreciated. The lack of any guidance from AMEX is extremely frustrating - I have no idea if this means I can never apply for an AMEX card again. 🤷‍♂️

I got the same rejection. On a healthy income with little debts. And so did my wife and good friend. Really bizarre

Amex have significantly clamped down on churners with this latest round of elevated sign-up bonuses. Hearing reports all over the Internet of churners being denied. It seems they've taken a business decision not to accept customers that they think will be unprofitable. As a result, you're unlikely to get anywhere with your appeals. A credit card company isn't under a legal obligation to offer a product to you. All they are obligated to do is not discriminate against you on certain grounds (sex, age, etc).

I was just approved for velocity plat Amex, waited nearly 2 years between drinks to be safe with the bonus points T&C's.

Anybody guess how long it takes eg AMEX to make profit from us as individual customers....say hold the card for 6 months, spend few thou on it each month + that annual fee. Then passing is the 80-100k points onto us?

At what point do they lose out?
Spend the reqd $$, receive bonus points after 1st statement and close card, they'd be at a loss then safe to say?

I was just approved for a new Amex after waiting 18 months and 1 day since closing my last Amex card, which I had held for precisely 1 month.

So I am Amex's worst customer and I still got approved. It is unpredictable. My view is to extract as much as you can from the banks and not worry about the future. Who knows what the banking landscape will be like in 18+ months time.

I was just approved for a new Amex after waiting 18 months and 1 day since closing my last Amex card, which I had held for precisely 1 month.

So I am Amex's worst customer and I still got approved, so my view is to extract as much as you can from the banks and not worry about the future. Who knows what the banking landscape will be like in 18+ months time.
Your two posts really muddy the waters here - they're clamping down on churners yet you then did a glaringly obvious churn and still got approved!? I held my last AMEX card for the entire year and only cancelled it when they couldn't provide me with a loyalty bonus to keep them on!

The lack of transparency from CC companies, and the seeming inconsistency of their decisions, is really frustrating!

Your two posts really muddy the waters here - they're clamping down on churners yet you then did a glaringly obvious churn and still got approved!?
They aren't stopping everyone with a churner's profile, but it is very clear that they aren't approving everyone with a pulse, like they used to. I submitted my application fully expecting to be rejected, and would have been happy to move on to the next if that occurred.

Your two posts really muddy the waters here - they're clamping down on churners yet you then did a glaringly obvious churn and still got approved!? I held my last AMEX card for the entire year and only cancelled it when they couldn't provide me with a loyalty bonus to keep them on!

The lack of transparency from CC companies, and the seeming inconsistency of their decisions, is really frustrating!
I suspect churners are still welcome by card companies if they spend a lot and/or keep using the card after the usual 3 month sign up bonus spend period.

I know I'm just one data point but clearly not in my case!
You will find examples like yours all across the various different credit card threads. I get the frustration, I had a bizarre rejection once from NAB (no previous banking relationship - I mean hello, I'm applying for one) but just moved straight on to my next card. My point is you're looking for deterministic explanations in a world where they don't exist. It can come down to the underpaid and overworked back office analyst's call at the end of the day. Doesn't get much more non-deterministic than that.

I fell for the ever increasing number of credit card offers in the AFF Newsletter so applied for the Velocity AMEX CC. Have not had an AMEX for many years and have a great credit rating but rejected yesterday because I will not make them any money (just assuming). I'm a retiree with more than enough in Super but little income anymore. I pay everything on-time - always have - so just moving on. Its a real pain not being able to earn many points via CCs anymore. My advice, just get your necessary CCs before your income dries up.

Wow - I thought 100K was the min income
I thought so too! :oops:

Right, that's it, I take it back! Saying this was a "computer says no" to me decision, based upon what I've read in this thread, is an insult to our microchipped friends. This is AMEX employees, knocking back beers and lobbing projectiles at a dartboard with application numbers pinned to it. It's the only logical explanation. 🤪

I fell for the ever increasing number of credit card offers in the AFF Newsletter so applied for the Velocity AMEX CC. Have not had an AMEX for many years and have a great credit rating but rejected yesterday because I will not make them any money (just assuming). I'm a retiree with more than enough in Super but little income anymore. I pay everything on-time - always have - so just moving on. Its a real pain not being able to earn many points via CCs anymore. My advice, just get your necessary CCs before your income dries up.
Yeah I fell for the 100000 Velocity pts...but as I already have an Amex, I applied on +1s behalf..got the dreaded "more info needed"...next day she had a missed call from Amex so I got her to call with me eaves dropping...they wanted proof of her rental income...uploaded and card approved next day...asked for a very low credit limit of $4300. Last year she got rejected for the ANZ card using the same income / expenditure details...go figure!

Back