amex qantas ultimate free flight- flexibility with one way vs return?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brha01

Intern
Hi, does anyone have much experience with the free qantas return flight which comes with the qantas amex ultimate card? Is there any flexibility to use it for 2 one way flights (two people travelling together) between the listed cities as opposed to one return flight?

Hi, does anyone have much experience with the free qantas return flight which comes with the qantas amex ultimate card? Is there any flexibility to use it for 2 one way flights (two people travelling together) between the listed cities as opposed to one return flight?

Sorry can't help, I've never tried to do that but I would be interested to know also.

All I did was do my PER-SYD-PER into a one way upgradeable and then I upgraded it on points and then came home on points.
Call them and tell us as I think that request will be a no.

Another question re the free flight i'm hoping someone can help with. I want to fly CBR-PER, but obviously cannot do this under the t&cs of the free flight offer. If I book SYD-PER return as the free flight, and then CBR-SYD return red-e-deals to align with the flights to and from PER, can I call qantas and get the two bookings linked so that I am covered in the event of delays causing me to miss connections in SYD?

Another question re the free flight i'm hoping someone can help with. I want to fly CBR-PER, but obviously cannot do this under the t&cs of the free flight offer. If I book SYD-PER return as the free flight, and then CBR-SYD return red-e-deals to align with the flights to and from PER, can I call qantas and get the two bookings linked so that I am covered in the event of delays causing me to miss connections in SYD?

SYD-PER is not permitted. You can only fly that route is you originate in PER. From SYD, you can choose BNE, ADL, MEL. From CBR, only MEL or SYD as only direct flights are permitted.

Each Flight must be a non-stop return flight between a Departure City
and one of its corresponding Arrival Cities in the table below.
Departure City Arrival Cities
Adelaide -Brisbane Melbourne Sydney
Brisbane- Adelaide Melbourne Sydney
Melbourne- Adelaide Brisbane Sydney
Perth -Adelaide Melbourne Sydney
Sydney -Adelaide Brisbane Melbourne
Canberra -Melbourne Sydney

In addition, if it were possible, the airline would be unlikely to want to mesh the flights as it moves the responsibility from you to them, but you should be able to check in for both, together and through-check luggage. Meshing the 2 PNRs would mean that if one of your flights was late, QF would be responsible to move you to a different connecting flight without cost. On a Red-e-deal, you would theoretically have to by a new ticket.

Last edited:
It is a very good deal for Perth participants for the free return flight PER-SYD-PER.

No, it must be a return ticket eg PER/SYD/PER & cannot be open jaw eg PER/SYD - MEL/PER. It has to be booked in "O" class on a direct flight as it's based on the Red-e-Deal fare. Even though a normal Red-e-Deal would allow you to transfer via another city on the same day eg PER/xADL/SYD - this Amex redemption ticket does not.

Make sure of your dates when you book as they will charge you AUD82.50 for any changes subject to "O" class seat availability otherwise you will have to add on any fare difference to change to a higher fare.

Your best option here is to make two trips out of it which could be months apart but it would save you money in change fees if you know the date of your return flight SYD/PER. I would check "O" class availability on Expert Flyer to ensure the dates/flights you want are available before you ring up Amex to book your flights.

Before you book the ticket with Amex ensure that you have checked availability & cost on the QF website for the best airfare CBR/PER which will be your positioning flight then book it immediately after you book the Amex ticket.

You will also need to book a SYD/CBR flight eg 20 Jul to connect with the PER/SYD flight so ensure you have plenty of connecting time. Ditto for CBR/SYD on 20 Sep to connect with your SYD/PER flight. Probably a good idea to adopt the KISS principle - keep it simple stupid (with all due respect to yourself) so don't go complicating the issue by saying you're in CBR & you're going to buy another ticket etc etc.

It might be a good idea to call them to first find out when your anniversary date is with Amex eg mine is 20 April so I have to call up prior to that to make my booking, although the dates of travel can be after 20 Apr but ask them the last date you can travel so you're fully aware of your obligations.

Amex: "Hello American Express Travel can I help you?"
brha01: "Yes I'd like to redeem my free return Qantas ticket from PER to SYD"
Amex: "Do you know what dates you want to travel?"
brha01: "Yes, I'd like to fly PER/SYD on QF580 on 20 Jul then returning on QF581 20 Sep"
Amex: "that's a long time away"
brha01: "Yes I'm babysitting my grandma's cat Smokey for 2 months while she's travelling around the world with her toyboy" (insert appropriate excuse here)
Amex: "well both of those flights are available (surprise, surprise) etc etc"

Once those flights are booked you can then book your CBR/PER positioning flight eg 17 Jul if you wanted a stay of 3 nights in PER on your first stay. The other flight you need to book is your PER/CBR flight eg on 23 Sep if having another 3 night stay on your 2nd PER trip.

Don't forget to factor in school hols & public hols & also any sporting fixtures eg AFL finals etc so you would need to book early for those dates.

In addition, if it were possible, the airline would be unlikely to want to mesh the flights as it moves the responsibility from you to them, but you should be able to check in for both, together and through-check luggage. Meshing the 2 PNRs would mean that if one of your flights was late, QF would be responsible to move you to a different connecting flight without cost. On a Red-e-deal, you would theoretically have to by a new ticket.

In order for your bags to be tagged through to your final destination, QF must 'merge' both bookings. It doesn't matter if one's a red-e-deal & the other's a different fare type - it could even be a redemption ticket, just tell the checkin agent you have a connecting flight QFxx_ to xx_ in a separate booking & you would like your bags tagged through to your final destination.

You will also receive both boarding passes for all the QF flights you are flying that day. Don't bother doing OLCI in either pnr as they'll only have to uncheck you in so they can merge the bookings.

They do this for any One World airline eg CX & AA so there's definitely no-issues when all the flights are QF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back