Amex Promo | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Amex Promo

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,226
Interesting offer in Monday's Sydney Morning Herald.

It is only for the Qantas American Express Card and the Qantas American Express Premium Card and the benfits are the same as the offer mentioned above but instead of $100 credit you get 10,000 FF points when you activate card and annual fee is waived in the first year.

Interesting to note that they value 10,000 FF points the same as $100 credit. That is 1c per point. How much do Amex buy FF points from QF? It would have to be less than 1c per FF point.

I apologise if my calculations are not correct!
 

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,226
No sorry.

* Offer valid to 31 May 2006 to approved customers via the phone number listed only. This offer is not valid on the Qantas American Express Ultimate Card.......

Phone Number to call is 1 300 651 313
 

kawoh

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 5, 2003
Messages
20
thanks heaps for this, smiling getting the 10k qff points plus the premium card, took all over 10 mins on the phone and an sms reply back and i'll get the card in 7 days and the points in a few weeks.
 

ksthommo

Active Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2004
Messages
696
Rang the number to ask if they have any other deals besides the 2 Qantas Club Passes for the Premium Card. After much beating around the bush, the call centre bloke could not other anything else. He didn't seem to have a clue about Qantas Club Members. Also didn't mention the 10,000 point offer until I prompted him.
 

FrankC

Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
332
kawoh said:
thanks heaps for this, smiling getting the 10k qff points plus the premium card, took all over 10 mins on the phone and an sms reply back and i'll get the card in 7 days and the points in a few weeks.
Is that becuase you already have an Amex card and so no paper work required?
 

jenno

Junior Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2006
Messages
19
can anybody see a problem with signing up, getting the points and cancelling the card before the year is up? there doesn't seem to be any t&c's to the offer (phone only). but 10000 points on sign-up plus 5000 points on first spend plus 2000 points when you first spend with QF, all for no annual fee in the first year seems like a good deal.........
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,806
Flights
My Map
jenno said:
can anybody see a problem with signing up, getting the points and cancelling the card before the year is up? there doesn't seem to be any t&c's to the offer (phone only). but 10000 points on sign-up plus 5000 points on first spend plus 2000 points when you first spend with QF, all for no annual fee in the first year seems like a good deal.........
The only problem I can see is that you end up with another credit request showing on your credit reference, which may affect your ability to obtain credit at a later time. Don't underestimate the importance of this.
 

FrankC

Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
332
NM said:
The only problem I can see is that you end up with another credit request showing on your credit reference, which may affect your ability to obtain credit at a later time. Don't underestimate the importance of this.
Is this 'credit reference' for Amex only or for all banks?
 

Damien

Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2005
Messages
300
FrankC said:
Is this 'credit reference' for Amex only or for all banks?
Every time you apply for credit, it gets listed. It's safe to assume that all banks "check the list" before giving you any credit.
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,806
Flights
My Map
FrankC said:
Is this 'credit reference' for Amex only or for all banks?
Your credit history (annotation for every credit facility you apply, plus some other bits and pieces) is stored by companies like Baycorp. The banks and other finance companies look at your Baycorp details when deciding how much of a credit risk you might be. Lots of recent credit applicaitons can be viewed as bad by credit providers making this assessment.
 

jakeseven7

Active Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2005
Messages
664
NM said:
Your credit history (annotation for every credit facility you apply, plus some other bits and pieces) is stored by companies like Baycorp. The banks and other finance companies look at your Baycorp details when deciding how much of a credit risk you might be. Lots of recent credit applicaitons can be viewed as bad by credit providers making this assessment.
Yes they use it amongst many other reasons to keep a check on people who launder their debt by shifting onto different c/c's to take adavantage of interest free periods on balance transfers. Don't underestimate the benefit of having a smaller number of credit applications on your file.
 

mick

Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2005
Messages
366
ksthommo said:
Rang the number to ask if they have any other deals besides the 2 Qantas Club Passes for the Premium Card. After much beating around the bush, the call centre bloke could not other anything else. He didn't seem to have a clue about Qantas Club Members.
Has anyone received their two Qantas Club invitations yet? I'm wondering what their validity period is and whether they are only for use by the card account holder or whether they can be gifted.

I called Amex to obtain this information and was transferred to the call centre overseas. Unfortunately, all they could do was regurgitate what was in the "glossy", which lacks any detail at all. When pressed for more info, I was directed to Qantas who, of course, said I'd need to speak with Amex :mad: .

Has anyone received their bonus points yet?
 

mileagemax

Intern
Joined
May 11, 2006
Messages
75
JohnK said:
Interesting offer in Monday's Sydney Morning Herald.

It is only for the Qantas American Express Card and the Qantas American Express Premium Card and the benfits are the same as the offer mentioned above but instead of $100 credit you get 10,000 FF points when you activate card and annual fee is waived in the first year.
Thanks John. I applied back in May, and received the Premium card.

When applying, the call centre rep said it was 10,000 points when approved, and then the standard 5,000 points when you first use the card, and then the standard 2,500 when you first use the card with Qantas. So that could mean 17,500 points.

Is that correct according to the SMH advert?
 

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,226
mileagemax said:
Thanks John. I applied back in May, and received the Premium card.

When applying, the call centre rep said it was 10,000 points when approved, and then the standard 5,000 points when you first use the card, and then the standard 2,500 when you first use the card with Qantas. So that could mean 17,500 points.

Is that correct according to the SMH advert?
Sorry mileagemax I don't have the advert anymore, but if I remember correctly the only difference between the advert and the online deal was the swap of 10,000 points for $100 credit. The rest was exactly the same as the online offer including 5,000 points when first using the card and 2,500 points when first used on QF purchases.
 

mick

Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2005
Messages
366
JohnK said:
Sorry mileagemax I don't have the advert anymore, but if I remember correctly the only difference between the advert and the online deal was the swap of 10,000 points for $100 credit. The rest was exactly the same as the online offer including 5,000 points when first using the card and 2,500 points when first used on QF purchases.
JohnK, you are quite right - that was the deal. I've received 15,000 points into my QFF account for signing up and using the card and I have no reason to doubt that the 2,500 points will be added on my first spend with Qantas (which could take a while, thanks to aa.com! ;) ).

Thanks for pointing out this deal in the first place.
 

kaz

Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2006
Messages
224
Hi Mick.
Just wondering did you get your 10,000 points at same time of card activation. the reason being, I also applied for a Premium card during the promo period, and so farI've only received my 5,000 upon card activation and am still waiting on the 10,000 points which were supposed to be upon approval. I did contact someone at Qantas only to be told to ring Amex (as their allocating the bonus points) When I spoke to person at Amex and I was told the points would be allocated 8 weeks after card activation,.
So far it's been 10 weeks since I activated the card & made a purchase.

Could you advise how long it took for you to get the 10,000 bonus points, as I may have to write Amex a letter bringing to their attention that I still have not received my bonus points. Writing to them in Sydney is alot easier than trying to speak with an Indian accent to their call centre. :!:

Look forward to your reply.
Karen
 

mick

Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2005
Messages
366
kaz said:
Just wondering did you get your 10,000 points at same time of card activation. the reason being, I also applied for a Premium card during the promo period, and so farI've only received my 5,000 upon card activation and am still waiting on the 10,000 points which were supposed to be upon approval.
Shortly after activation, I used my card for a purchase on 19 June. The points for activation, use and the purchase were credited to my QFF account on 5 July. My statement was dated 9 July.

kaz said:
Could you advise how long it took for you to get the 10,000 bonus points, as I may have to write Amex a letter bringing to their attention that I still have not received my bonus points.
I'd probably follow up with them.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

  • The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes – AIR014
    Sat, 29 Jun 2019 00:40:35 AEST
      Last week, Qantas announced a major shake-up to its Qantas Frequent Flyer program. In this episode, former Head of Loyalty at Malaysia Airlines, Mark Ross-Smith, joins Matt ...
  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...

Community Statistics

Threads
82,014
Messages
1,896,608
Members
49,848
Latest member
Rajdev9009

Currently Active Users

Top