Amex points lost on death of cardholder!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warks

Established Member
Qantas
LT Silver
Virgin
Gold
I recall a story somewhere recently about someone's widow losing creditcard or FF points after their death. Can't find a reference to it so sorry if it's been posted before. In any case my father passed away earlier in the year (he was reasonably old) and had a pretty good pile of Amex points. They weren't the first thing we all thought of after his passing - we first looked at cancelling memberships etc and the Amex card was cancelled. A few weeks later we enquired after the points and was told (verbally - not in writing anywhere I can find) that the points were all lost when the card was cancelled. As he had been an Amex cardholder for over 30 years you can imagine there has been a bit of swearing at Amex since.
Can they do this?
I happened to be in a solicitor's office on another matter when I mentioned this. He said it didn't sound right and was worth taking to the Banking Ombudsman.
Anyone with experience here?

According to the MR T&C:

5.2 Subject to these Terms and Conditions, if you cancel your enrolment, unused points may be redeemed for up to 30 days after the date of cancellation.

and

11.2 If you cancel the Primary Card Account and all Linked Accounts with us or if, for any reason, we cancel the Primary Card Account or any Linked
Account, any Points accrued in the Program Account will be forfeited and
will not be capable of transfer, conversion or redemption.

So looks like you are out of luck.

That sucks. What a heartless bunch of ....s.

They'll hear more about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back