Amex Platinum - How to make suggestions on improvements?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjp

Hi all,

I'm wondering whether people have had much experience in this - I want to write to American Express (not just talk to a low level person on the phone) about suggested improvements to their service.

Primarily the fact that if my card gets damaged (through use! irony), they can issue a new card but it will be a new number. Last time I got my card reissued I had no idea about this, and then had to frantically deal with about 20 direct debit companies to change my CC information before they next tried to bill. The fact that Amex says that once a card has been cancelled it cannot be undone is one thing, but then you cannot keep your existing number? Ludicrous.

That's one thing I'd like them to change, another would be to have the ability for some kind of virtual or shadow card - ie one that isn't a physical card but all the same can be used for debits, so I can link all of my usual monthly spending against it. I know that one answer would simply to get another card, but from what I know you cannot get two platinum charge cards - the best loophole would be setting up a supplementary for a family member and using that, but I don't want to go down that path.

So, short of using the reply paid address, is there a name or position I can write to about such suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

I got a new card with same number once?

Was that because you got a card to replace an expiring one? That's when they will keep your number the same. My current card doesn't expire until late next year, and I have sticky tape holding it together.

I got a new card with same number once?

AMEX treats a damaged card the same as a lost or stolen card and so you are supposed to get a new number if you report it as damaged. If your card just expires then you will get a replacement card with the same number.

Having said that...

I once managed to get a replacement Centurion card by threatening to cancel my membership (and I was prepared to do that). It is possible, but you need to kick up a big stink. I don't think I'd bother doing that again.

That's one thing I'd like them to change, another would be to have the ability for some kind of virtual or shadow card - ie one that isn't a physical card but all the same can be used for debits, so I can link all of my usual monthly spending against it.

The AMEX Centurion program does this in a way. They don't have a "virtual or shadow card" but they do issue you with two cards - one with your name on it and another with your name followed by "A/C". The second, or "account", card is sometimes used for work expenses or is just kept in a safe place and used for bill payments as you have suggested. That's what I do with mine and it means you don't have to notify all the billers if your primary card number is changed.

I realise none of this is all that helpful sjp, but I want you to know that I feel your pain. :)

I know that one answer would simply to get another card, but from what I know you cannot get two platinum charge cards.

For that particular point, it is not so.

If you are the primary card holder, one of the specific benefits of the platinum charge card is the availability of an additional card (ends up with a/c embossed - I believe for "additional card", so same as Centurion as posted by homer), with a different number, that can be used to separate charges. For some reason, they restrict this to the primary card holder even though they allow a large number of supplementary cards without additional fees.

Last edited:
The AMEX Centurion program does this in a way. They don't have a "virtual or shadow card" but they do issue you with two cards - one with your name on it and another with your name followed by "A/C". The second, or "account", card is sometimes used for work expenses or is just kept in a safe place and used for bill payments as you have suggested. That's what I do with mine and it means you don't have to notify all the billers if your primary card number is changed.

I realise none of this is all that helpful sjp, but I want you to know that I feel your pain. :)

Haha - yes indeed. I don't feel like shelling out $4500 for a Centurion card, but thanks anyway! It looks like equus believes that the Platinum card has the same offer, so I will call and find out.

Hi all,

I'm wondering whether people have had much experience in this - I want to write to American Express (not just talk to a low level person on the phone) about suggested improvements to their service.

Primarily the fact that if my card gets damaged (through use! irony), they can issue a new card but it will be a new number. Last time I got my card reissued I had no idea about this, and then had to frantically deal with about 20 direct debit companies to change my CC information before they next tried to bill. The fact that Amex says that once a card has been cancelled it cannot be undone is one thing, but then you cannot keep your existing number? Ludicrous.

That's one thing I'd like them to change, another would be to have the ability for some kind of virtual or shadow card - ie one that isn't a physical card but all the same can be used for debits, so I can link all of my usual monthly spending against it. I know that one answer would simply to get another card, but from what I know you cannot get two platinum charge cards - the best loophole would be setting up a supplementary for a family member and using that, but I don't want to go down that path.

So, short of using the reply paid address, is there a name or position I can write to about such suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Use the usual GPO Box address on your statement and attention it to 'Executive Correspondence' - This team deals with all mail that is directed to Senior Management from customers and they typically have a lot of experience in tracking things down and providing a detailed response.

Last edited:
Use the usual GPO Box address on your statement and attention it to 'Executive Correspondence'

They also have contact details (under contact us on the normal Amex website) for 'complaints and suggestions', it has a phone, fax, mail and email address from memory. I have used this before to complain about various issues over the years.

R

AMEX treats a damaged card the same as a lost or stolen card and so you are supposed to get a new number if you report it as damaged. If your card just expires then you will get a replacement card with the same number.

Having said that...

I once managed to get a replacement Centurion card by threatening to cancel my membership (and I was prepared to do that). It is possible, but you need to kick up a big stink. I don't think I'd bother doing that again.

Surely you didn't manage to damage a titanium card?

Surely you didn't manage to damage a titanium card?

Only through overuse ;)

Twice now the signature panel on my card has become almost unreadable. The first time I went through the pain of successfully arguing for the same card number to be issued. This time around I am just crossing my fingers that it will remain slightly readable until my card expires in 2012. It's not looking good...

Only through overuse ;)

Twice now the signature panel on my card has become almost unreadable. The first time I went through the pain of successfully arguing for the same card number to be issued. This time around I am just crossing my fingers that it will remain slightly readable until my card expires in 2012. It's not looking good...

Nail polish remover or a strong alcoholic drink will remove your signature and you can then just sign the panel again.

Nail polish remover or a strong alcoholic drink will remove your signature and you can then just sign the panel again.

Thanks for the tip. I've actually been given this tip by someone at American Express (!) as an off the record/unofficial tip. I just haven't gotten around to giving it a try. Thanks again.

That's got to be the biggest reason for moving to chip-and-PIN if ever there was one. How insecure is signature verification if you can do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back