Amex Platinum Credit Card and Platinum Business Charge Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

jandk

Hi guys.

Thought i'd run this one by your ever so knowledgeable heads...

I applied for a amex platinum credit card a few weeks ago and was told all approved on the 30th May and should expect it any day now.

I then decided the business platinum business card (https://www.americanexpress.com/australia/SmallBusiness/cards/default.shtml?au_nu=subtab) would be a good move for the business to start racking up some points and kept solely for business could write off the annual fee. Applied last weekend, and called (after hours) today to be told the application was declined but need to call back tomorrow for the reason.

I was extremely surprised at this as i thought any old joe could get one of these if they were stupid enough to pay the $1200 annual fee!!! It seems not! Myself and business certainly meet all the necessary requirements for the card so all i could come up with is that maybe they didn't like me applying for the charge card so soon after getting a separate amex card?? But again, strikes me as odd as the platinum credit card obviously isn't a business card.

any thoughts? i'm annoyed they declined me - keen to hear why!
thanks for reading!

Could be many things. Perhaps they don't like your business for whatever reason, don't like the director/s, can't track down records on the business through their credit reporting agencies business not established long enough for their liking etc.

Calling might get you an idea of what they don't like or give you a chance to explain things more to their satisfaction.

I'm curious why you went for a Plat Charge card for your business, not a Gold card or similar? Any extra benefits?

Hi there - i appreciate the reply.

The business should have excellent history and has been around for 3+ years. Also the application seemed to be more focused on me than the business which i thought was odd.

I spoke to them today and the guy seemed surprised they declined me (when he was looking at the application details) He just said the "decline code" given was one relating to my credit check or history or something like that but then said looking at my credit history he can see it's flawless so again he said "not sure why it was declinded, apply again in 3-6 months" .......... thanks for nothing! I was really impressed with AMEX customer service until today.

Reason for platinum, tax deductable so didn't really mind and was keen to see (for a year) if it was worth the cost. (oh, and the 1.5 points)

anyway, i guess i might apply again in future. Bit annoyed though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back