AMEX Platinum Cheapened

Status
Not open for further replies.

CdaWorld

I have been considering writing to AMEX about the annual fee of the Platinum charge card. I feel that with the introduction of the plat credit card they have cheapened the product.

Even though I was given a complimentary CC I don't really need it - a whole lot more people have a piece of platinum plastic now and the "exclusive" (LOL) quality of the former card is lost.

Is this AMEX trying to push people to go for the Centurion?

I am sorry, but I don't perceive any "value" in having an "exclusive" card? Does it make you feel better to have a card that is "exclusive"? I use my credit card to pay for goods and services, and along the way I earn reward points. I really could not care less how many other people carry a card of the same colour as I use.

The prestige of an exclusive card means nothing to me. I chose my card based on the value to me, which includes the annual fees I have to pay and the tangible benefits I receive. If every other Australian makes the same card choice as I make, then it just goes to show that I must have made a good decision. If nobody else makes the same choice, then I have probably made a bad choice.

CdaWorld said:
I have been considering writing to AMEX about the annual fee of the Platinum charge card. I feel that with the introduction of the plat credit card they have cheapened the product.

Even though I was given a complimentary CC I don't really need it - a whole lot more people have a piece of platinum plastic now and the "exclusive" (LOL) quality of the former card is lost.

I'd agree with you. I have written a letter but as yet haven't sent it, covered the cards value and a few other points with the program.

The plat charge card was "cheapened" when they brought out the Centurian card. Just about anyone who spends enough should be able to call up now and get a plat charge card without any real issues.

Not really that exclusive any more.

The credit card and charge card are totally different beasts.

CdaWorld said:

Whilst it may have been cheapened - Why dont you take advantage of it??
Clearly you should request your the free AMEX Platinum Credit Card.

Not only will you get your free return flight, but if you are a big spender, you will increase the $1=1.5pt earn rate to $300,000 annual spend.

PZ

From the American Express point of view, much of it is about maximising fee income. If they can push people up to higher and higher costing cards then all the better for them. To do that, they need to offer more with the card, and at the start try to convince people of the exclusitivity (and hence some will pay more).

Over time, however, more and more people get to the card. Years ago Amex and the banks were pushing people to gold, so much that it was no longer exclusive. So they introduce plat and we see the same story happening. In turn it will happen with Centurion, and they will add something above that.

CdaWorld said:

Platinum is not even the most popular metal.

It shoud be trinium or even naquatar. :oops: :oops:

Mal said:
The plat charge card was "cheapened" when they brought out the Centurian card. Just about anyone who spends enough should be able to call up now and get a plat charge card without any real issues.

Not really that exclusive any more.

The credit card and charge card are totally different beasts.

I dont have a plat charge card or plat credit card but do work for the company and the platinum charge card is by INVITATION ONLY so not anyone can get it!! and that makes it more exclusive than the credit card. SO it HASN'T cheapened the product. The aim of the credit card is to serve not met because of a large gap between the gold cards (which is quite low) and the platinum charge card.

Cheers
The moody angel!!

PaulZ said:
Whilst it may have been cheapened - Why dont you take advantage of it??
Clearly you should request your the free AMEX Platinum Credit Card.

Not only will you get your free return flight, but if you are a big spender, you will increase the $1=1.5pt earn rate to $300,000 annual spend.

PZ

I did accept the free credit card of course and really only for the free flight which I am sure I can use.

That's a good point on the rewards points though. But my annual spend would never get even half that high!

NM said:
I am sorry, but I don't perceive any "value" in having an "exclusive" card? Does it make you feel better to have a card that is "exclusive"?

I'll be honest and say I enjoy having a card that reflects (in whatever pretentious way it sounds) a certain acheivement or success level. I enjoy the fact I have been able to obtain this card and the helpful benefits it offers to me.

I know that the majority of people dont pay any attention to what plastic someone is carrying and part of my original thinking on this thread is that the average person wouldnt know the (visual) difference between the charge and the credit card. They'll just assume the credit card is the $900 a year card - so (again really trying hard not to sound like a snob) in that way I think it make the card of lesser value. Kinda like the way an imitation designer label cheapens the real article.

Now, please noone flame me ***runs for cover*** :)

CdaWorld said:
I'll be honest and say I enjoy having a card that reflects (in whatever pretentious way it sounds) a certain achievement or success level. I enjoy the fact I have been able to obtain this card and the helpful benefits it offers to me.
If you have the card because you perceive it be good value and it has benefit that meet your circumstances, then that is great. Keep using it! But I can't see the point in complaining that the checkout operator at Coles does not know the difference between that card and another card type. Or being concerned that these same benefits (or some of them) are now available to the masses.

I don't begrudge people having such cards. That is your choice and if you are happy with the cost/benefit analysis for your situation then that is great. But I personally do not see any advantage on the "benefit" side of the equation under the heading of "exclusivity" when it comes to a card choice. Areas such as insurance, purchase protection, rewards points, concierge etc all have some level of benefit, but exclusivity is not a benefit in my opinion (nor is it a disadvantage - just a zero value or a moot point - a non-issue).

But that is my personal opinion and others are likely to hold a differing opinion, and that is healthy in a diverse community.

little_moody_angel said:
I dont have a plat charge card or plat credit card but do work for the company and the platinum charge card is by INVITATION ONLY so not anyone can get it!! and that makes it more exclusive than the credit card. SO it HASN'T cheapened the product. The aim of the credit card is to serve not met because of a large gap between the gold cards (which is quite low) and the platinum charge card.

Getting an "invitation only" credit card is a bit like getting into an exclusive nightclub/bar.

Dress the right way, have the right attitude and you should be able to get in. Knowing the doorman, visiting the place a lot and spending a lot there also help when it comes to the time to get in the door.

The Amex Plat may still be Invitation only, but that still doesn't make it exclusive or stop people getting it.

The Cent card is a different matter. That is the "elite" card. Unlikely for the average joe to get one unless they are specially selected or have a very good history as a Plat charge card holder.

Mal said:
little_moody_angel said:

Getting an "invitation only" credit card is a bit like getting into an exclusive nightclub/bar.

Dress the right way, have the right attitude and you should be able to get in. Knowing the doorman, visiting the place a lot and spending a lot there also help when it comes to the time to get in the door.

The Amex Plat may still be Invitation only, but that still doesn't make it exclusive or stop people getting it.

The Cent card is a different matter. That is the "elite" card. Unlikely for the average joe to get one unless they are specially selected or have a very good history as a Plat charge card holder.

True but u can't possibly say that the credit card is as exclusive or prestigous as the charge card!!

I've been offered the plat charge card a number of times but just throw the invitation away. I've had a gold card for almost 20 years and it works fine for me. The extras offered by the plat card just didn't seem worthwhile for the cost, at least for me.

CdaWorld said:
I'll be honest and say I enjoy having a card that reflects (in whatever pretentious way it sounds) a certain acheivement or success level. I enjoy the fact I have been able to obtain this card and the helpful benefits it offers to me.

I know that the majority of people dont pay any attention to what plastic someone is carrying and part of my original thinking on this thread is that the average person wouldnt know the (visual) difference between the charge and the credit card. They'll just assume the credit card is the $900 a year card - so (again really trying hard not to sound like a snob) in that way I think it make the card of lesser value. Kinda like the way an imitation designer label cheapens the real article.

It does make me wonder how you feel like you have greater status when you pay with an American Express Platinum Charge Card. In reality, it's a convenient way to pay for things (I hate carrying around cash), a good way to track spending, and the ability to get points for things. But to have to pay a company $900 so they can send you a little piece of plastic so you can advertise to others that you have "status" seems silly to me. I think it's a clever ploy - you enjoy handing the Platinum card over to someone to pay for things, so you end up paying for things on the Amex Platinum more often.

I do think you should base your idea of personal self-worth and status on something other than what a company that you're paying bucketloads of money to get that status says about you though.

beardoc said:
It does make me wonder how you feel like you have greater status when you pay with an American Express Platinum Charge Card. In reality, it's a convenient way to pay for things (I hate carrying around cash), a good way to track spending, and the ability to get points for things. But to have to pay a company $900 so they can send you a little piece of plastic so you can advertise to others that you have "status" seems silly to me. I think it's a clever ploy - you enjoy handing the Platinum card over to someone to pay for things, so you end up paying for things on the Amex Platinum more often.

I do think you should base your idea of personal self-worth and status on something other than what a company that you're paying bucketloads of money to get that status says about you though.

You are just upset because you didn't get one... peasant :eek:

Mish said:
You are just upset because you didn't get one... peasant :eek:

Meee-owww!

I must admit I was shocked that the Aussie-issue Pt charger is $900 a year. Mine is a US issue and it is $395 per annum.

Also noteworthy is that you can directly apply for a Pt charger in the US, leaving the 'invitation-only' territory to the Centurion.

I don't usually have much interest in a lot of the alleged 'benefits' of membership, although I am quite looking forward to the Glenlivet tasting on Jan 24, which was available only to Pt and Centurion cardholders. I have also used the restaurant reservation service a few times to get into otherwise difficult establishments.

Additionally, 'The Spending Machine' loves his supplementary card, because it is about the only thing that gets the snooty sales associates at Bergdorf's to actually lend some assistance.

As for having the allure of a Pt charger tarnished by the Pt credit-card, well, I can tell you that in the LOTFAP, every second person seems to be carrying a platinum or otherwise 'elite' card of some sort or other. It doesn't make any difference to me. Other people can have a Visa Signature/Infinite or Mastercard World Elite, or any platinum credit card, but it's not a Pt charger, and it never will be.

Last edited:
Yada Yada said:
I've been offered the plat charge card a number of times but just throw the invitation away. I've had a gold card for almost 20 years and it works fine for me. The extras offered by the plat card just didn't seem worthwhile for the cost, at least for me.

I'm with you Yada Yada; I haven't been offered the plat "a number" of times, but I went through the same thought process when offered. Free flight - OK, but I'm paying (then) $300 or so, and if it is $900 I'm staggered:shock:

I think the Concierge has some value, but not for me: with 2 kids under 5, we don't go out all that often, and generally not to prestige restaurants - we'd both fall asleep between entree and main!

I only have the gold because I once thought it had status;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Recent Posts

Back