Amex platinum Charge annual fee increase

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolpetcat

Hi all,

A reliable source told me today Amex Plat charge annual fee will be increased from $900 to $1200 from Oct 2013...

Lets see if this is happening.....

Cheers,

The final straw!
What are they smoking?:shock:. First, watering down of travel insurance benefits, only 0.5 pts per $ for ATO payments, and generally only 1 pt per $ spent (travel, restaurant, hotel and foereign purchases excepted), and now this...will they have any customers left? I ditched mine a few months ago, a week before my anniversary $900 was due.

I think it may be time to retire mine if this is true....

Unless it brings in more and useful benefits, mine will be cancelled.

I can't even tell whether amex is greedy or stupid.. or both ?

Definitely cancelling unless they are bringing the points & insurance back.

After reading this I have applied for one so that I get one before the fee being possibly increased....

I will NEVER pay 1200 for this card....... unless they change the point structure?

apparently the increased fee come with added "benefits", and we all know how "valuable" those benefits are. Again, it's not a benefits if we have to pay extra....apparently we all will be receiving a mail within these two weeks...

Just paid my fee this month with a slight discount for some performance issues.

Will need to review if the fee does increase, there would need to be some substantial extra benefits and an increase level of service for Plat card members.

I think if I cancel my plat charge I will just use the EDGE and Westpac Altitude black. Or the altitude black with woollies MC.

They had better be good value adds... Over and above getting the points earn structure back to something sensible and making the insurance what it used to be.

Confirmed. My Centurion RM told me this last month when I enquired about downgrading from Centurion to Platinum.

I just received my AMEX platinum charge card 'enhanced marketing 'package in the mail.

I've always been a fan of the AMEX Platinum Charge Card - so when the pack came - I was interested.

The front was printed "The Platinum experience is evolving"
hmmmm marketing speak for something. - which was the annual fee increase.

Fee is now $1,200 (up from $900)

Here are my thoughts on if this extra $300 is worthwhile, and my [personal value] on each 'enhancement';
- $200 travel credit each year on international flights booked with them (value ~$100, after you take into account any booking fees payable to AMEX to get them to book international flights which you could book yourself elsewhere)
- Free night in Accor hotel each year (value $150-$200)
- LeClub Accor Platinum membership (you can get this with a special link on a regular basis - value $0)
- travel insurance now covers frequent flyer points flights (before it was just where membership rewards points were converted into frequent flyers). I think this is just clarifying the practice where you can't separately identify which frequent flyer points were redeemed for the flight. (value $0)
- Higher car hire travel waiver (hard to value - I don't rent cars much, value $25)
- Bring a guest into Virgin Australia lounges (I don't fly domestically much and if I fly QF or Jetstar - I have the CX Gold, so I'll use with the free reserve and edge flights - value $50)
- Priority Plus supplementary membership (~$50 - I travel a lot, and I hardly ever use them, as they are normally sub-standard lounges, but can be good for free wifi)
- Preferred Golf membership (not sure if this is new, too bad I don't play golf, value $0)
- My Wine Companion (another wine club, gotta spend money to save money, no big deal, value $0)
- Sydney AllPhones Arena Invites Lounge (if only they could expand this concept to other stadiums, I see one or two concerts a year, good to show off to friends - I say this is value $50)
- Supplementary card for Platinum Reserve (need to clarify if supplementary cardholder will also get themselves a free flight/hotel. If so, then this is a winner (valued at $250), otherwise $0).

All up - my personal extra value enhancements come to ~$425 (or $675 if Reserve supp card gets benefits too).
I'll be keeping my card for now. Only as no other card in the marketplace is close...for now.

What are your thoughts on the enhancements? Keep card or cancel?

wow - I didn't plan to write so much here - so I may as well do a more indepth analysis on my blog soon.

Cheers
Steve

I just received my AMEX platinum charge card 'enhanced marketing 'package in the mail.

I've always been a fan of the AMEX Platinum Charge Card - so when the pack came - I was interested.

The front was printed "The Platinum experience is evolving"
hmmmm marketing speak for something. - which was the annual fee increase.

Fee is now $1,200 (up from $900)

Here are my thoughts on if this extra $300 is worthwhile, and my [personal value] on each 'enhancement';
- $200 travel credit each year on international flights booked with them (value ~$100, after you take into account any booking fees payable to AMEX to get them to book international flights which you could book yourself elsewhere)
- Free night in Accor hotel each year (value $150-$200)
- LeClub Accor Platinum membership (you can get this with a special link on a regular basis - value $0)
- travel insurance now covers frequent flyer points flights (before it was just where membership rewards points were converted into frequent flyers). I think this is just clarifying the practice where you can't separately identify which frequent flyer points were redeemed for the flight. (value $0)
- Higher car hire travel waiver (hard to value - I don't rent cars much, value $25)
- Bring a guest into Virgin Australia lounges (I don't fly domestically much and if I fly QF or Jetstar - I have the CX Gold, so I'll use with the free reserve and edge flights - value $50)
- Priority Plus supplementary membership (~$50 - I travel a lot, and I hardly ever use them, as they are normally sub-standard lounges, but can be good for free wifi)
- Preferred Golf membership (not sure if this is new, too bad I don't play golf, value $0)
- My Wine Companion (another wine club, gotta spend money to save money, no big deal, value $0)
- Sydney AllPhones Arena Invites Lounge (if only they could expand this concept to other stadiums, I see one or two concerts a year, good to show off to friends - I say this is value $50)
- Supplementary card for Platinum Reserve (need to clarify if supplementary cardholder will also get themselves a free flight/hotel. If so, then this is a winner (valued at $250), otherwise $0).

All up - my personal extra value enhancements come to ~$425 (or $675 if Reserve supp card gets benefits too).
I'll be keeping my card for now. Only as no other card in the marketplace is close...for now.

What are your thoughts on the enhancements? Keep card or cancel?

wow - I didn't plan to write so much here - so I may as well do a more indepth analysis on my blog soon.

Cheers
Steve

A good overview Steve, can you explain the $200 travel credit in more detail ? Does this mean a $200 credit on say CX flight to HK for example ?

I too have been a keen advocate of the Amex Plat card....

I play some golf, well I try to anyway ....

Hi

They have made it pretty easy to use.
I'll say this is the most redeeming feature to try and offset the pain of the $300 increase.
If they are charging the same fares as sold elsewhere, and not inflated.

So, yes major airlines like CX to HK should work fine.

An easy way is to use this for a long weekend to New Zealand, since it is pretty cheap at ~$400 return anyhow. Also buy some items and claim the GST refund, and the trip can be 'free'.

Here is the wording from the website;
Platinum Travel Credit

After October 1st 2013 on your fee renewal, you’ll receive a $200 travel credit* towards return flights departing from Australia to any international destination when booking through the Platinum Travel Services team. What's more, you can use this credit to book travel for anyone you choose.
Offer includes airlines such as Qantas, Emirates and Singapore Airlines however excludes low cost carriers, for eligible airlines contact your Platinum Travel Service.

Who benefits?
Primary Platinum Card members. However, the travel credit can be used for others, providing the balance is paid on the Primary Card member's Card*

CTA
Call Platinum Travel on 1800 673 760

Terms & Conditions
*Platinum Travel Credit.
The transaction must be for prepaid return international flights departing from Australia.
Card members are eligible for one travel voucher per year on fee renewal date from October 2013. Supplementary Card members are not eligible for this benefit.
Refunds may be permitted based on supplier cancellation policy. The amount refunded will be the value of the booking, less supplier fees and the $200 contributed by American Express. There is no refund on the $200 Credit. Once a booking has been cancelled the travel voucher for that year will be forfeited.
Changes to bookings are permitted subject to supplier terms and conditions. Booking amendment fees may apply.
Membership Rewards points will not be earned on the $200 Platinum Travel Credit.

Hi

They have made it pretty easy to use.
I'll say this is the most redeeming feature to try and offset the pain of the $300 increase.
If they are charging the same fares as sold elsewhere, and not inflated.

So, yes major airlines like CX to HK should work fine.

An easy way is to use this for a long weekend to New Zealand, since it is pretty cheap at ~$400 return anyhow. Also buy some items and claim the GST refund, and the trip can be 'free'.

Here is the wording from the website;
Platinum Travel Credit

After October 1st 2013 on your fee renewal, you’ll receive a $200 travel credit* towards return flights departing from Australia to any international destination when booking through the Platinum Travel Services team. What's more, you can use this credit to book travel for anyone you choose.
Offer includes airlines such as Qantas, Emirates and Singapore Airlines however excludes low cost carriers, for eligible airlines contact your Platinum Travel Service.

Who benefits?
Primary Platinum Card members. However, the travel credit can be used for others, providing the balance is paid on the Primary Card member's Card*

CTA
Call Platinum Travel on 1800 673 760

Terms & Conditions
*Platinum Travel Credit.
The transaction must be for prepaid return international flights departing from Australia.
Card members are eligible for one travel voucher per year on fee renewal date from October 2013. Supplementary Card members are not eligible for this benefit.
Refunds may be permitted based on supplier cancellation policy. The amount refunded will be the value of the booking, less supplier fees and the $200 contributed by American Express. There is no refund on the $200 Credit. Once a booking has been cancelled the travel voucher for that year will be forfeited.
Changes to bookings are permitted subject to supplier terms and conditions. Booking amendment fees may apply.
Membership Rewards points will not be earned on the $200 Platinum Travel Credit.

Nice work thanks Steve, typical I just booked a long weekend in Nov in Auckland for a 40th party, used MR points for the majority of the flight costs on Virgin .....

I guess they are trying to get more flight bookings.

Shame it can't be used for Hotels as well ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back