Status
Not open for further replies.

calgarychris

Qantas
Silver
Virgin
Silver
Hi,

Opinions sought - I can get the Amex Platinum charge card for $950 with 100K or $1,200 for 120K points - what would folks choose and why?

Second question - Amex Reserve vs. Amex Edge - both are free, which would you choose and why?

Thanks

I wouldn't pay $250 for an extra 20k points unless you need the points and you're not in a position to do other credit card signup bonuses.

I wouldn't pay $250 for an extra 20k points unless you need the points and you're not in a position to do other credit card signup bonuses.

Thats sort of where I landed. Only downside is that the application is paper based, so I need to wait (!)

+1 also remember it's $250 each and every year...

Agreed, the $250 can get you 145k QFF points elsewhere at the moment

For one off free, maybe it's worth it. However definitely not worth the on-going annual fee difference however.

+1 also remember it's $250 each and every year...

I'm actually using the 950 version and it's more than just the points as a one off. I just found out that the 950 is actually 44 days payment due and the 1200 is actually 51 days. 7 days difference each month.

Depending on on your spending, I spend around 100k a year. 100000 X 3% (interest) / 365 days X 84 (days difference between 51 and 44 for a year). It's actually close to 700 dollars of interest lost.

I'm actually thinking of changing to the 1200 version but given its recent ENHANCEMENT, I don't even know if this card is worth it anymore. But that aside, 250 is definitely worth it. If you don't spend that much money, this card is not worth it at all. If you spend more than 100k you probably lose more than 700 a year.

Depending on on your spending, I spend around 100k a year. 100000 X 3% (interest) / 365 days X 84 (days difference between 51 and 44 for a year). It's actually close to 700 dollars of interest lost.
Before tax. You forgot to deduct income tax at your marginal rate. That'll knock off somewhere between a third and half. Not quite as big a differential then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back