AMEX Platinum Card 120,000 points /$1200/yr $1000 spend

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSnodger

Highlights:
  • 120,000 Membership Rewards points when you apply by 31 October 2015, are approved and spend $1000 on your new Card in the first two months of Card Membership
  • Receive a $200 Platinum Travel Credit each year, which can be redeemed online for pre-paid airfares, car hire or hotel bookings
  • Access more than 800 airport lounges in 100 countries, including the Virgin Australia lounge

Points can be transferred onto any of the following programs:

1. Qantas Frequent Flyer
2. Virgin Australia Velocity Frequent Flyer
3. Emirates Skywards
4. Etihad Guest
5. Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
6. Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer
7. Air New Zealand Airpoints
8. THAI Royal Orchid Plus
9. Malaysia Airlines Enrich
10. Cathay Pacific Asia Miles

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to hold a plat charge card, how long before I can resign and get the bonus points? Is it a 1 year break?

Ok thanks. Not sure if it's worth $1200 though. $900 I would I think

I guess it depends on how often you use business lounges. Still $1200 for a one-way Syd>Lon first class on Singapore is a good deal for me.

I'll update once I actually make the booking. But AMEX Reward points are 1:1 with Krisflyer points when transferred; taking the 15% discount into consideration when booking reward flights online means 120,000 points should be enough.

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong.

I guess it depends on how often you use business lounges. Still $1200 for a one-way Syd>Lon first class on Singapore is a good deal for me.

I'll update once I actually make the booking. But AMEX Reward points are 1:1 with Krisflyer points when transferred; taking the 15% discount into consideration when booking reward flights online means 120,000 points should be enough.

Yep that's correct, 112k KF miles for F to Europe when factoring the 15% discount.

For this months only 40k points will become 20k SPG but with bonuses you will get 30k AA points. A good deal in my book.

Does anyone know whether they are still offering the Amex plat reserve as a free companion card? Ie, I'd like to get that free return to trip NZ & also use that free hotel night.

Plus Taxes & Charges )mainly Fule Fines!!).

I love SQ redemptions, but like QFF (which are hard to get in J/F) the taxes and charges are on the high side for FF programs.

I cancelled my Plat over 12 months ago, but have still had my Edge card during that time - does that mean I would or wouldn't be eligible for the 120,000 points?

I cancelled my Plat over 12 months ago, but have still had my Edge card during that time - does that mean I would or wouldn't be eligible for the 120,000 points?
i'd say the overwhelming answer would be yes from most users experience. Personally I applied for 3 cards one after the other in the space of 3 months, got bonus for all of them.

i'd say the overwhelming answer would be yes from most users experience. Personally I applied for 3 cards one after the other in the space of 3 months, got bonus for all of them.

Hi kaktusdigital, was one (or more) a new card within Amex that had points applied with no issues. I am currently VA Plat Amex - would love the 120k points but worried points won't credit..... (as technically not eligible)

Hi kaktusdigital, was one (or more) a new card within Amex that had points applied with no issues. I am currently VA Plat Amex - would love the 120k points but worried points won't credit..... (as technically not eligible)

All three were new cards.

VA plat first, then the Plat edge (via priceline no annual fee for first year deal) and finally this 120K amex plat. All points posted very quick.
As Marcopolo pointed out earlier, if you dont get the points - you can still cancel within the first month and get a full refund. Although, I can't find that clause in the T&C's...

Good luck!

P.S
My ref link is over in the referrals section if you do happen to go through with it :D

All three were new cards.

VA plat first, then the Plat edge (via priceline no annual fee for first year deal) and finally this 120K amex plat. All points posted very quick.
As Marcopolo pointed out earlier, if you dont get the points - you can still cancel within the first month and get a full refund. Although, I can't find that clause in the T&C's...

Good luck!

P.S
My ref link is over in the referrals section if you do happen to go through with it :D

Thanks! will have a look it again. Did you find out whether they still offer the reserve as a companion card?

EDIT: Found your referral link with the info... glad to know it's still available!

Last edited:
Thanks! will have a look it again. Did you find out whether they still offer the reserve as a companion card?

EDIT: Found your referral link with the info... glad to know it's still available!

Cheers Blockers.

Yeah its great as they'll tell you on the phone, the reserve companion card is no longer available, but for existing members it is...... :D

Hi kaktusdigital - plat charge has arrived - activated and ready to go! Also called to ask re the companion card; they said no worries as an existing member will send out paperwork asap! I asked whether it was an Edge or Reserve - was told Reserve and why would I want the Edge, Reserve is much better value ha ha.... Next step is to get the min spend on and see hw long the points take to credit (if at all) Anyway - will let you know how I go with activating memberships etc to SPG/Accor. Thanks again for the info. :)

Hi kaktusdigital - plat charge has arrived - activated and ready to go! Also called to ask re the companion card; they said no worries as an existing member will send out paperwork asap! I asked whether it was an Edge or Reserve - was told Reserve and why would I want the Edge, Reserve is much better value ha ha.... Next step is to get the min spend on and see hw long the points take to credit (if at all) Anyway - will let you know how I go with activating memberships etc to SPG/Accor. Thanks again for the info. :)

Hey Blockers,
great to hear your card arrived and hopefully points soon as well!
Just a side note, I had an issue with using my $200 travel credit. As it turned out, there was something funny going on with my account as it had the velocity platinum card and also platinum charge linked. when going to the amex travel section it would always default to seeing the velocity plat card (with no way to change it either)
It was later solved by creating a separate account for the velocity plat card. so hopefully you don't have any similar issues, but that was the solution if you need it :)

Still waiting for my reserve application to arrive in the mail (sent 2 times already!) if all else fails, they can Fax it. but who has a fax anymore!?? ;)

Cheers,

P.S for 1,200 bucks, you'd think the card would look flashier... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Recent Posts

Back