Amex personal vs business - opinions (eventually want centurion)

Hey gang,

Just wondering for future planning if end goal is to get centurion (if lucky enough).

Some of my things considering tax deductions etc:
- employed, BDM role
- starting own business as well (I think you need two years of BAS for business card) - creating own brand/ other opportunities
- spend a cough load on furnishing office for own business as well as employment
- could travel a lot, local, interstate and overseas for both employment and own business
- purchase a lot of samples for own business but still in the early early stages
- average spending personally would be circa 100k mark for livelihood excluding housing etc (at the moment)
- average spending on employment would be circa 30–50k
- average spending on own business if successful will be 100k++ depending on how I go

Any thought or advice? From a card point of view or any view actually.

Thanks guys

I have no particular insight in the selection process but I’m thinking with Centurion being a ‘personal’ card in AU, might be best putting that spend through a personal card and separating out ‘business’ spending with another supp or additional ‘a/c’ card is you can get your hands on one.

I have no particular insight in the selection process but I’m thinking with Centurion being a ‘personal’ card in AU, might be best putting that spend through a personal card and separating out ‘business’ spending with another supp or additional ‘a/c’ card is you can get your hands on one.
I thought about that too but I heard a lot of peoples cards getting cancelled as charging too much business expenses on it. Unless, don’t charge the obvious ones and only charge fine dining and travel etc?

IME have used this method might have been lucky. My charges on my a/c far exceed what I charge in my ‘personal’ card. I think with a bank issued card, that’s likely the case as the pay a lower point tier on business cards so they don’t want business expenses getting through in the higher points earn personal product (might be less of an issue now with points capping).

YMMV

IME have used this method might have been lucky. My charges on my a/c far exceed what I charge in my ‘personal’ card. I think with a bank issued card, that’s likely the case as the pay a lower point tier on business cards so they don’t want business expenses getting through in the higher points earn personal product (might be less of an issue now with points capping).

YMMV
Out of curiosity your AC would be spouse or?

- starting own business as well (I think you need two years of BAS for business card) - creating own brand/ other opportunities
I was able to open a QANTAS Business Credit Card (not the QBR card) when I started my own company. Westpac wanted 3 years trading history but AMEX approved a card immediately (I was an existing and long term AMEX customer). Not sure if you can still get these, but only $160 pa, 1 pt / $ (2 pts on QF spend), no points limit.

I think they push everyone towards the QBR card now, which is more expensive but does have a higher earn rate and additional benefits - if applicable (eg QF lounge passes aren't a lot of use to me as existing QF LTG).

Why do you mention if you're lucky enough? Why do you want the card? This isn't a dig I am just wanting to understand why

Out of curiosity your AC would be spouse or?
Hi A/c is in my name as well. In the ‘old’ days when they were still being issued, was intended so you could separate your ‘personal’ from ‘business’ expenses in the statement. Thats what I use it for. I think they’re now more restrictive on issuing them based on reports on other threads so prob just a matter of getting a second supp if they will allow it.

Back