AMEX MR points cancelled if you dont dont pay for 40 days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOPOOR

Established Member
Havent seen this rule discussed, but is the following common knowledge,

I had no idea

Your points have been forfeited because we did not receive payment within 40 days of your Card Account Statement date - ie.
Your Account is 40 days (or more) overdue in terms of payment. To view the Membership Rewards Terms and Conditions
Return to the top

Thats a harsh rule

Its come up in previous discussions, if I recall correctly that poster called up and explained the circumstances and points were re-credited to their account.

Havent seen this rule discussed, but is the following common knowledge,

I had no idea

Your points have been forfeited because we did not receive payment within 40 days of your Card Account Statement date - ie.
Your Account is 40 days (or more) overdue in terms of payment. To view the Membership Rewards Terms and Conditions
Return to the top

Thats a harsh rule

So let me get this right. You missed your payment date by not a couple of days, but 40. Maybe time to get a bit more organised. I'd be embarassed to post that...

So let me get this right. You missed your payment date by not a couple of days, but 40. Maybe time to get a bit more organised. I'd be embarassed to post that...

Why would you be embarrassed, there are plenty of legitimate circumstances why you could have missed a payment date and then have forgot to pay it.

In saying that the T&C's are pretty clear that your account has to be in good order to retain any reward points, so if you miss a payment there is a chance your reward points will be forfeited.

Why would you be embarrassed, there are plenty of legitimate circumstances why you could have missed a payment date and then have forgot to pay it.

In saying that the T&C's are pretty clear that your account has to be in good order to retain any reward points, so if you miss a payment there is a chance your reward points will be forfeited.

Well if i were in OP shoes, i would have just called Amex rather than post on here. To each their own

Well if i were in OP shoes, i would have just called Amex rather than post on here. To each their own

I'm sure he did contact AMEX. Still nothing to be embarrassed about, I've done some silly things in my life and that wouldn't rate on my embarrassment-meter :p.

I have a (small) auto payment going to Amex every month which I adjust when I get the statement to avoid exactly this problem, i.e. I always know they will receive a payment even if not the right amount should I get distracted.

Not sure why the OP is being attacked. There are a multitude of reasons a bill may be unpaid for >44 days.

I certainly found it interesting, and also that it appears it's possible to achieve points re-in-statement.

No you didn't get it right. That was a cut and paste from another forum
Unfortunatelly. Im not as perfect as you. One day in my dreams I will be as perfect as you.

To the other less perfect people
To lose all your years benefits through a missed payment is unreasonable
It doesn't happen with cbac westpac citi or any other program.

Last edited by a moderator:
H
No you didn't get it right. That was a cut and paste from another forum
Unfortunatelly. Im not as perfect as you. One day in my dreams I will be as perfect as you.

To the other less perfect people
To lose all your years benefits through a missed payment is unreasonable
It doesn't happen with cbac westpac citi or any other program.
How many points gone?

I assume Amex do it to give themselves a bit more leverage to retrieve the money owed.

I would also assume Amex would most likely reinstate the points after a first offence...

So OP, did you get your points back? It's one thing having to call up to get the points re-instated, but quite another if they refuse to re-instate it and the only "offense" you committed was forgetting to pay in 1 pay cycle.

Last year just before heading o/s for a month, I paid the wrong AMEX thereby putting one into credit and leaving one in debt. I had a few warnings from AMEX, but waited till I got back and phoned them. They moved the credit to the debit and reversed the charge. I must’ve been lucky.

There are lots of things attached to Amex that rely on your account being in good standing. Membership Rewards is one of them.

40 days is pretty long, though. That's close to (or encompasses) nearly two bills; e.g. if the date you receive a bill is on the 10th, then you typically have another 25 days or so until that one is due, and easily the next bill will arrive before 40 days is up.

There may be extenuating circumstances involved for sure; in any case, it's something to go to Amex and discuss.

Whether it's unreasonable or not for one to lose all their benefits for missing a payment is debatable in the classic sense of people losing a benefit or what not due to breakage or fringe cases, e.g. someone losing their FF points balance due to death or missing activity in 18 months etc.

One issue Amex have compared to the banks, is they fund their operations somewhat differently. One of the outcomes is that they manage their debts a bit more stringently.

H

How many points gone?
No points gone for me.
I just read it somewhere and thought it was both a harsh and unusual rule. By posting it it could warn others as 40 days is an easy oversight

So OP, did you get your points back? It's one thing having to call up to get the points re-instated, but quite another if they refuse to re-instate it and the only "offense" you committed was forgetting to pay in 1 pay cycle.
It wasnt me. Just i read it somehwere.

However after reading it ive double checked my reminders for payment are set in place

There are lots of things attached to Amex that rely on your account being in good standing. Membership Rewards is one of them.

40 days is pretty long, though. That's close to (or encompasses) nearly two bills; e.g. if the date you receive a bill is on the 10th, then you typically have another 25 days or so until that one is due, and easily the next bill will arrive before 40 days is up.

There may be extenuating circumstances involved for sure; in any case, it's something to go to Amex and discuss.

Whether it's unreasonable or not for one to lose all their benefits for missing a payment is debatable in the classic sense of people losing a benefit or what not due to breakage or fringe cases, e.g. someone losing their FF points balance due to death or missing activity in 18 months etc.
Or even being on holidays .
Ive had remindera set while on holiday. And sometimes those reminders might come up while im on a train or at werird times of the day due yo time differences and ive said ok ill do it later and ive forgotten....
Very easy

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not of the view that it is a harsh rule. 40 days seems extremely generous.

I recently missed a payment sorta..

bill was 26,800 and normally I just round up and pay 27k but for some reason 26k got stuck in my head (IE bill being 25,800) as being the rounded up amount (therefore 800 short) and I paid 26k well before the due date.
got charged interest on the whole lot but the amex guys were really nice and reversed all the interest charges and no changes to points etc :D

I think 40 days is fairly generous period to get thing sorted before they enforce any penalties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back