Amex Foreign Exchange sign up points bonus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Storyteller

Can anyone tell me if & where they have seen this promotion? I know i saw it a couple of times, but have just crawled off QF8 & can't recall if it was email / flyer with my statement / on some site.
IIRC it was 10 - 15K after 1st transfer.
Thanks.

Never mind - found a thread here with a link. (note to self: do an extra check when posting jetlagged)

Hmmm, if that is the offer, seems you have to have an Amex issued by them, rather than one through one of the banks... unfortuantely...

I had a cold call from Amex Tues... a girl who followed up with an email. Asked them about the FF pts on their credit cards and she got a colleague to ring back. She differentiated a direct Amex card as distinct to one through a bank. (I have a NAB Amex).

The colleague phoned back, I was busy asked him to phone back yesterday... still waiting.

But if there is 10,000 pts at stake (plus no cost for each transfer ($5 or $10 each) for 2012 plus 1pt reward point for every $25 transferred it could add up.

Honestly I've never found Amex to be a very good card. But if I could get 2 pts per dollar or more (without having to go to specific vendors) I'd use it more often. NAB have an Aug and Sep promo for double Amex pts (2pts per $1) but it's limited to the first $1000 a month and no business expenses. I had an ATO bill to pay but shied off using the NAB card coz of their stupid fine print.

18/08/2011International Payments MR Promotion000

Interesting amount of bonus points :shock::D

Gee links in all these posts would be handy. Hummel I can't recognize what you're referring to.

Sorry Serfty your link just takes one to a very general page, nothing specific. This is half the problem with AMEX. Like Readers Digest they simply have a myriad of different schemes that most of us haven't got the energy to find let alone apply for.

Sorry Serfty, the hints aren't working. The only AMEX card I have is a NAB one.
The AMEX link you talk about cutting and pasting then requires you to log in. Fairly difficult if you're not a direct AMEX customer.

This is what really irks me about AMEX. Smoke and mirrors. Searching their website is futile.

18/08/2011
International Payments MR Promotion

Interesting amount of bonus points :shock::D

I have eaxactly the same entry in my MR account. After many prior issues with bonus points I was surprised that the bonus points came through so quickly after making my first foreign transfer, but when I saw that I'd been awarded 0 points I knew it was still the same good old Amex.

Whats the exchange rate like? I just TT'd 35,000GBP in various transactions and got about 2 pence below the rate As Seen On TV which was a bummer. Is it worth the hassle of seeting up this facility?

Sorry Serfty, the hints aren't working. The only AMEX card I have is a NAB one.
The AMEX link you talk about cutting and pasting then requires you to log in. Fairly difficult if you're not a direct AMEX customer.

This is what really irks me about AMEX. Smoke and mirrors. Searching their website is futile.
Well, I guess since you need Amex "Membership Rewards" (or MR) then the NAB account won't cut it.

sprite.gif

Thanks Serfty. SMackay I'm using Xylo (an online division of Westpac) that's all web based. With USD receivals and payments I'm doing a lot better than say Westpac. Perhaps within a cent or two at worst against the published bank to bank rates.

What I might need is a USD account to park payments in. If you take the view the dollar is going up or down in value. Looking at the AMEX pts offer (1 MR pt for every $25 in or out) it might add up. A lot of my receivals and payments are not sheep stations. Might be a 100pts a time. Guess that all adds up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back