AMEX don't want to replace my card...WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Febs

Established Member
Just had an interesting conversation...

I rang AMEX to request a replacement for my corporate card, as my current one is almost 3 years old and quite worn (I have to use another card about 20% of the time because card readers are having issues with it, even with tape etc...)

After the standard security questions I was told "Sir I can see transactions on your account recently, indicating you haven't had a problem with the card being accepted" (to which I replied yes, but there's another ~20% of transactions I've had to use my VISA for because the AMEX wouldn't work).

Then I was asked where I'd been since June, and had to rattle off a list of 12 or so countries (plus a few I probably forgot). Then was asked if I'd had any "large charges" from hotels in India, and if so, which hotels? I replied that I made about 6 hotel stays in India, and couldn't for the life of me remember all the names off the top of my head.

Then, I was asked about 2 x $14,000 charges from a "freight company" in June 08. I have absolutely NFI what this was about, and never saw any charges like this on my account.

The customer service rep then said I'd have to call back during business hours so my account could be "investigated further". I basically asked what was going on, as all I wanted was a replacement card, and I have never seen these $14k charges he's talking about. He asked for my card number again, then repeated the same line about calling back during business hours.

...all this for a replacement card? FFS. Anyone else experienced this type of thing before? I'm thinking he stuffed up and was looking at the wrong card number...but then how would I have passed the security questions?

:confused:

Cheers,
- Febs.

I called for a replacement Business Gold (Qantas) card last month as the one I had was cracking (along a straight line beside the magnetic strip) and otherwise wearing out.

No issues, new card arrived 5 bus days later.

I did call during standard office hours however.

it seems that your account is under investgation by the amex fraud team, all these charges from all over the world have just got your account under investigation for fraud.
It seems strange that the customer service rep didnt not tell you about your card is under investigation .The call during business hours would mean to talk to the fraud invesitgation team.
This might be a reason that a hold or somthing might be put on your card.
Amex policy is not to charge for a replacment card at all so they change your card free of charge and if incase of emergency they will courier the card free of charge.
My cards have always been replaced in 5 working days

Last edited:
Did you receive a replacement card?

My Amex Gold card is just over 6 months old and already the plastic has come apart from one corner of the card. Don't know how much longer it will last but it certainly will not make it to 2011. I find it amazing how some people like to swipe a credit card through the reader as hard and fast as possible....

Last edited:
I called for a replacement Business Gold (Qantas) card last month as the one I had was cracking (along a straight line beside the magnetic strip) and otherwise wearing out.

No issues, new card arrived 5 bus days later.

I did call during standard office hours however.
As posted, I had to replace a 9 month old card a few weeks ago. I rang on Thursday PM and a replacement card arrived the next Wednesday.

Did you receive a replacement card?

Whoops. Yes I did. Rang back during business hours and requested a replacement. They asked a few security questions and said that yes, my card was under investigation. I confirmed all the charges were legit and all was fine, I presumed...

..until I went to use the card the next day and found they'd blocked it. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Rang up and went through the security questions a third time, and they re-enabled it.

Picking up the new card tonight (haven't been home to grab it yet).

Cheers,
- Febs.

but it certainly will not make it to 2001.
Sorry to go a bit off topic, but have i gone back in time and no one has told me?

I do have the tattslotto numbers for 15 Nov 2008 if anyone can use them in about 7 years:D

Cheers
DJ737

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back