Amex Card Upgrade

marcojim

Intern
Virgin
Platinum
Hi all,

A bit new to the whole credit card scene so please forgive me for the newbie question.

I have a fairly low income (< 40k) and low living expenses (no loans, mortgage or rent). I was recently approved for the Amex Velocity Escape card.

If possible, I’d like to upgrade to a better Amex card in the next 6-12 months. Would it be likely for me to be approved for the Platinum Edge or Explorer cards? I note that both cards no longer have income requirements published and have fairly low minimum credit limits (3k). Amex gave me a 9k credit limit when they approved my current card.

Also would I need to submit a new application or can I call Amex to request a change?

Thanks in advance.

Hi all,

A bit new to the whole credit card scene so please forgive me for the newbie question.

I have a fairly low income (< 40k) and low living expenses (no loans, mortgage or rent). I was recently approved for the Amex Velocity Escape card.

If possible, I’d like to upgrade to a better Amex card in the next 6-12 months. Would it be likely for me to be approved for the Platinum Edge or Explorer cards? I note that both cards no longer have income requirements published and have fairly low minimum credit limits (3k). Amex gave me a 9k credit limit when they approved my current card.

Also would I need to submit a new application or can I call Amex to request a change?

Thanks in advance.
You can call Amex to request an upgrade link . Usually you can only upgrade to superior card within same card family .
Post automatically merged:

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.
Or you can just make a fresh application for a new card . Although upgrades offer bonus points which are not available for fresh applications by existing card members .

I think you might be able to transfer all but the very minimum ($2k from memory) credit limit from the escape to your new card.

I’d check this out first with Amex if you’re thinking $9k limit is more than you can tolerate & if they won’t switch cards for you, then apply for the new card with a minimum credit limit if they won’t switch you over.

Not sure what the rules about CC changing card family are for Amex AU. I know Amex US won’t allow it (I’ve tried).

You can call Amex to request an upgrade link . Usually you can only upgrade to superior card within same card family .

Or you can just make a fresh application for a new card . Although upgrades offer bonus points which are not available for fresh applications by existing card members .
Thanks for the reply!

By same card family, does this mean I could potentially request an upgrade from the Velocity Escape to the Velocity Platinum? Are bonuses offered for these types of upgrades?

Thanks for the reply!

By same card family, does this mean I could potentially request an upgrade from the Velocity Escape to the Velocity Platinum? Are bonuses offered for these types of upgrades?
Yes . And usually yes after a spend or sometimes a reduced annual fee if no bonus points .

Do Platinum charge card holders that have downgraded to Gold or Green charge card, ever get bonus offers to upgrade back to the Platinum charge card?

You can call Amex to request an upgrade link

I did this tonight, and they emailed out a link to me.

Clicked on the link and read through the offer, which came with a bonus credit if I spent a certain amount in three months (which I will easily).

After all the "IF you are approved" nonsense, I clicked the request upgrade button and 5 seconds later "YEAH ALL GOOD THANKS FOR UPGRADING".

Clicked on the link and read through the offer, which came with a bonus credit if I spent a certain amount in three months (which I will easily).

After all the "IF you are approved" nonsense, I clicked the request upgrade button and 5 seconds later "YEAH ALL GOOD THANKS FOR UPGRADING".
What are the details ? Card ? Credit etc ?

When you upgraded, did you get another credit check inquiry on your credit report done by Amex for the upgrade?
Won’t . As it’s not a new account or application.

Would you like to share the generic link here ?

How long do I have to wait before requesting an upgrade link?

I have the Amex velocity escape and I am thinking about upgrading to Amex velocity platinum.

How long do I have to wait before requesting an upgrade link?

I have the Amex velocity escape and I am thinking about upgrading to Amex velocity platinum.
I was told six months minimum.

Does anyone know if there’s a specific criteria for Amex to send out upgrade links or will they just send one when you ask?

Update: my Amex app and Apple Pay have updated to show the new Velocity Platinum card rather than the Velocity Escape (which I upgraded from).

I previously held the Escape card with a $2000 credit limit and my new credit limit still seems to be $2000, even though the minimum on the Platinum card is supposedly $3000.

I wonder if it’ll change when I get the physical card in the mail? Or is this just a bit of a quirk?

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back