Amex Australia fail - Safekey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mal

Enthusiast
Dear Amex.

I know you're resting the implementation of chip'n'pin in Australia, A chip'n'pin would assist me greatly.

Today I encountered a new problem. In Singapore and the UK (and other countries perhaps) you've implemented "SafeKey" (which is similar to Mastercard SecureCode and Visa's Verified by Visa) for online purchases.

This prevented me from making a purchase, and may have triggered a fraud incident with Amex (waiting for the call).

Get your act together, you are a global company and very proud of your heritage. I shouldn't have to use an alternative credit card because you can't keep up with the times.

<end rant>

Chip and PIN is coming soon.

"Soon" is not soon enough. I am sick of having cards denied in various machines because it doesn't have the chip. And just before, I was denied an airfare purchase because Amex AU doesn't support Safekey. (I used Mastercard instead and it was approved).

Amex need to work out what they are. Are they a 2-bit credit card company or are they serious about worldwide usage of their card?

Today I encountered a new problem. In Singapore and the UK (and other countries perhaps) you've implemented "SafeKey" (which is similar to Mastercard SecureCode and Visa's Verified by Visa) for online purchases.

Not just similar - Amex have licensed the technology from Visa (with possibly some implementation differences).

This prevented me from making a purchase, and may have triggered a fraud incident with Amex (waiting for the call).

I've struck similar problems making Mastercard purchases in Malaysia, using a card that was not set up for SecureCard. The problem is with the 3-D Secure system which sometimes ends up not authorising a transaction, but also not allowing you to proceed.

"Soon" is not soon enough. I am sick of having cards denied in various machines because it doesn't have the chip. And just before, I was denied an airfare purchase because Amex AU doesn't support Safekey. (I used Mastercard instead and it was approved).

Amex need to work out what they are. Are they a 2-bit credit card company or are they serious about worldwide usage of their card?

I called customer services earlier in the week about chip & PIN. Apparently it's being rolled out starting January and they're creating a "priority waiting list" of interested people. Maybe worth giving them a call?

Amex AU really does seem to be stuck in the past though. No 3D auth for transactions, chip & PIN has been available elsewhere for years, have seen other instances of them being back in the dark ages, but probably shouldn't talk about them on a public forum.

I get the impression that rather than being a global company, Amex is just a bunch of franchises with each country doing as they please.

Cheers

Steve

I had the same issue in Malaysia on my holidays. Malaysia is a shopping bonanza hot spot. After 3 rejections at 3 locations. I put the thousands of dollars of spending money on my visa which was never rejected. Amex is also rejected many times in Bali which is also another disapointment. I must say now that some visa cards are offering 1.5 to 2 points per $, Amex should start to worry about losing market share.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back