American Express Rewards vs Westpac Altitude Rewards

Status
Not open for further replies.

lopes2017

Interestingly both Cannex and Money Managzine rank these two rewards programs as the best rewards programs for spending in excess of $30K per annum. This fits my profile.

Both Cannex and Money rate both the American Express Platinum Card and Westpac Altitude Plantinum Card preferred for this earning range.

I was thinking of upgrading my Altitude Gold to a Planinum.

But prior to doing so, I am interested in canvasing peoples opinions on these two rewards programs, ie which one do you prefer and why?

What Amex rewards do you mean, 'Choices' or 'Ascent' ? (I assume not Spirit or Blue Sky by your descriptions)

I think Ascent does the job well for me, mostly travel rewards, eg transfers to different airlines. Note that only Platinum charge card holders with Ascent will retain the QF transfer option unless you choose a direct sweep card.

E

Greetings lopes2017
I think the westpac altitude is in relation to the altitude amex which is 3:2 (same as amex palt 1.5:1) conversion rate. Altitude visa/mc is 1:1
Cheers Danger UXB

I have both programs - in the gold version. Putting aside platinum style benefits these are the advantages I see in the respective programs:

Westpac Altitude
-Transfers to NZ (although unless using for NZ upgrades, extremely discounted transtasman, or to top up, redemption rates are such that Amex transfers to Virgin Atlantic for use on NZ services are better)
-Malaysian Enrich $1:1 (compared to Amex at $4:3) (or for Platinum versions an extra 50% respectively)
-Mastercard (or visa for old customers) with Amex, so if merchant doesn't take Amex you have MC to use instead, albet at lower earn rate.

Amex (Ascent)
-Virgin Atlantic (at 1:1), Cathay, Thai (at 4:3)
-Starwood, Priority Club and Hilton HHonors transfers permitted. Good for some hotel stays.

Thats great feedback, especially related to FF points transfer for various airlines, but what about shooping vouchers or shopping in general.

Westpac alititute plat ames gives you 3 points per dollar. A typical $100 shopping voucher costs 16700 points. (requires a spend of $5566)

Amex plainum gives you 1.5 points per dollar. A typical $100 shopping voucher costs 13400 points. (requires a spend of $8933)

Based on this it seems no contest between the two best rated cards by Cannex and Money Magazine, Altitute Platinum comes up trumps!

Or am I missing something here?

Who cares about shopping vouchers..this is a site for flying;)

More seriously I have both...but Amex is better.

Apart from the official points Amex runs more extra promos..

In 2007 the Electrical store promo....spend $10,000 and pocket an extra 100,000 points.

In 2008 the ridiculaously generous Everday Promo....it was a mistake in it's awrd rate and so it's magnitude will not likey be seen again. However other promos will be.

By comparison, bonuses from Altitiude have been trivial.

So for TOTAL points earnt per year for me it is by far the best card.

Very good point, having been with Westpac for a while, I have noted that they simply do not offer the promotions that Amex do...after two years I am still waiting.

Think I may switch back to Amex...

Another issue with Westpac is the currency conversion fee minimum 3.5% in comparion the Amex card from American Express 2.5%

I have the Qantas American Express Premium Card but have never received bonus offers. Are these sent out to all members? I feel a bit ripped off! I'm thinking of going to Westpac Altitude.

I have the Qantas American Express Premium Card but have never received bonus offers. Are these sent out to all members? I feel a bit ripped off! I'm thinking of going to Westpac Altitude.

Some are 'targeted' offers and a lot are just general offers. You should get them in the mail if you don't throw them out.
Of course not all offers are useful to all people.

In any case for me the other benefits with Amex make it my card of choice.

E

Some are 'targeted' offers and a lot are just general offers. You should get them in the mail if you don't throw them out.
Of course not all offers are useful to all people.

In any case for me the other benefits with Amex make it my card of choice.

E

When I had the Qantas Amex Premium card overa two year period I do not recall getting one "bonus" offer, apart from the sign on bonuses and the QF spend bonus of an additional point per $. Maybe I missed them though???

With my Amex Maximiser however there has been a steady stream, including:

* a new 0.5 point per dollar additional bonus from 1 April to 30 June ( max of 10K per month).
*60 fule voucher by makinga rx at each of 8 businesess (current)
*the massive Everday Bonus of late 2008.
* various BP fuel bonuses and a Colorado Bonus that others got but I did not.
* the generous 10 point per $ spend at Electrical stores in late 07.

Which is why the Amex Maximiser has been the most generous CC I have ever had.

I think I'm in the category of having a professional card (AMA/AMSA) with an upcoming rate change. Only thing is I've never recieved the .5 points bonus after reaching the $10000 spend. Wonder if I should chase this up...:rolleyes: Could end up a bit like the 5000 points promo.

Also, this is my first targeted offer (from memory). The only way I knew such offers existed was from the kind souls on this board. Pity they've clamped down now but what else could we expect?

...Which is why the Amex Maximiser has been the most generous CC I have ever had.

Which card is the Amex Maximiser?

I've looked on the Amex website and can see no card with that name.

I'm also trying to figure out what to do with my Amex cards - I currently have a green charge card and a QF Amex Ultimate card.

Thanks in advance, PW

Amex have not been promoting the maximizer card for quite a whule..

You may be able to still get one, but a lot of the old links no longer work.

This one may work but there's no gaurantee:

AMEX

Which card is the Amex Maximiser?

I've looked on the Amex website and can see no card with that name.

I'm also trying to figure out what to do with my Amex cards - I currently have a green charge card and a QF Amex Ultimate card.

Thanks in advance, PW

mmmmm

It has been hard to find fora while...but links still worked.

About last September my wife joined up on 5000 point bonus and alos gained it fee-free for the first 12 months.

However all the links just seem to take you to the Gold Card, that has an ean rate of only 1.0.

If you want it you could try ringing up and asking for it to see if it is still available.

But perhaps it is gone now.

Alos note that points on it drop from 1.5 to 1.25 after April 1.

Last edited:
The Westpac combined Visa/Amex card that I have is good for account reconciling each month. Even if a vendor doesn't accept the Amex, using my Visa it still prints onto the one statement each month.

So, majority of points still earned but for the exceptions, the charge still appears onthe one statement.

I find that handy as my accounts people just have to find one batch of receipts and make one payment to settle the cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back