American Express Qantas Points

Status
Not open for further replies.

HG199

Hello,

I've been very foolish, I don't have a card that get me points!

I once had a Commonwealth bank credit card that got me point, but unfortunately I didn't read the fine print and when I went to transfer my measly 52,000 points to my Qantas Frequent Flyer card - I was only allowed to move half as I was on one of the cheaper card. So that put me off.

I am now looking at the American Express Premium Card. I am purely interested in getting as many Qantas Frequent Flyer points as possible for an international flight. (Can't afford the ultimate card).

I noticed I just missed out on a deal for 30,000 points for joining (Ended July 31). How often do these deals come up? I rang American Express but they were no help and just added me to some mailing list.

Where is the best place to see these deals - I notice they don't put them on their own site, but I often see banners on Sydney Morning Herald - Business News, World News & Breaking News in Australia

Thank you for your help - great community.

If there is a promotion going on with Amex and QFF, you would probably read it here first! So bookmark this site (or even better make it your homepage) and keep coming around!

There is a promotion currently running on the QF AMEX Ultimate card (up to 40,000 QFF points) but you need to apply before 31st August.

This card has a high annual fee ($395) though.

Link here

My advice....without knowing hwhat your yearly $ spend is.

• Grab the current Earth deal for a AMEX/Mastercard with earn rates of 1.0 for the AMEX 97 0.5 on the Mastercard) and pocket the 15,000 point joining bonus. Is free for a year.
  • If you havea spouse, join them up too and get 30,000
  • See it you can gert the free for life Citibank VISA with an earn rate of 1.0. Very nady as not everyone takes AMEX.
  • Consider getting the AMEX Maximiser with an earn rate of 1.5 and free for first year....but you may want to stagger this to allow you to avoid the yearly free as much as possible. This is where knowing what your yearly spend is important. iea low spend may not offset the yearly fee.
  • Watch and wait for the next QANTAS Amex deal..based on the last year you will not have to wait more than two months or so.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies.

I will go with a card that offers me 1.5 points per $1 spent.

I just want to get the best sign up deal up front - 30,000 points is alot better than the current 7500 their offering.

40,000 points on the ultimate american express card, but annual fee is too high.

Really don't want to get Earth card - I have a very deep hatred for Westpac (won't lump you with the details!).

I'll keep a look out on this site for new deals!

Thanks

HG199 said:
Thanks for all the replies.

I will go with a card that offers me 1.5 points per $1 spent.

I just want to get the best sign up deal up front - 30,000 points is alot better than the current 7500 their offering.

I'll keep a look out on this site for new deals!

Thanks

Well yes I too would love 30,000 points , 1.5 points per $$$ and free for the first year!!!!!

What you want...is two different cards though!!!!!!!!!!!

I have not seen 30,000 bonus points for the Maximiser...so you may be waiting a long long while...Therefore I think you might be getting the Maximiser and Qantas Amex's mixed up.

The 30000 was for the QANTAS AMEX..which has an earn rate of 1.25 & not 1.5. & not the Maximiser.

Also note that the 30,000 deal had you paying for the first year =$195....so some might say the 17500 points and free for first year is a better deal.

The only QANTAS card with a 1.5 earn is the Ultimate crad...and this is $395 per year imcluding the first year.

Yes, your right, my mistake. I am intrested in the premium card at 1.25 point per $.

It doesn't need to be free, I'm (sort) of happy to pay the $195 a year - I'm hoping the points I earn will offset that enough.

It would appear AMEX don't want you to find the link for the Rewards Maximiser card. You have to go to the american express site American Express Australia - Credit Cards, Business and Travel Services then click on personal cards, then click 'Membership Rewards' and the only link I could find to the RM is on the right side. When you click on this icon I was unable to find any mention of cost, although I know it is $195, and there is no promotions at present. The page states:

An earn rate of 1.5 Membership Rewards™ points1 for every dollar spent2 is just one way the Rewards Maximiser Credit Card helps you get what you want sooner. You'll also enjoy:

• No annual Card fee for the first year
  • A 1:1 transfer rate between Membership Rewards points and Qantas Frequent Flyer Points
  • Up to 55 days interest-free credit3
  • A 6.99% p.a. Balance Transfer rate for the first 6 months4, subject to our interest rate policy5
  • Automatic enrolment into American Express® Membership Rewards™. Voted Money's Best Rewards Program 2006, saving you $80 p.a.
  • No expiry date on your points as long as your account is current
  • Interest rate of 18.49% p.a.
  • No limit on the amount of points you can earn

Sorry to be rude, but I just spoke to American Express Customer service again, and I spoke to the most useless person on the face of the Earth.

I went in with the pitch, I am happy to sign up right now to the Premium card and pay the annual card fee, but I want more that 7500 points.

To which all he said was 'no'.

I was shocked, I said, can you please speak to someone in marketing and ask them if there are any deals on the horizon?

'no' he said.

I then explained that I've found finding good deals is down to luck.
I mentioned that you might see a deal on smh.com.au if your lucky with your timing and get an American Express ad. But when you go directly to American Express.com.au There is no special offers, or deals area.

So I asked, are there any deals at current you know of. To which he said 'the public finds out before me, check whitepages.com.au, ads listed their usually have good deals'.

Just sign up now, I hear you say. If I do that (and this is quite remarkable) and sign up now I can almost guarantee within hours of signing up, a new deal will come up. "50,000 points, no fees, and a free driver for a year'!

So at the end of the day, they didn't get an extra customer, and I am just sitting here waiting for that magic ad to appear with a decent sign up deal.

I'll be over at whitepages.com.au!

I think you are in-between deal at present as AMEX have just started a big push for their Blue Card....and the 40,000 Ultimate deal goes to Aug 31.

With the Blue push on.....you may have to waita month or two before they push either the Qantas Premium or Amex Maxiser again....

You could het the Maximiser NOW...free for a year....and then when the next Premium Card deal comes along go for that. This way you are racking up points at 1.5 /$ at no cost now. also points to join Maximiser I think are relatively rare.

NO NEED TO DAYDREAM
A superior points conversion rate, where $1 spent1 = 1.5 Membership RewardsTM points2 = 1.5 Frequent Flyer points3.
No limit on the amount of points you can earn, and your points never expire4.
No annual Card fee for the first year, saving you $192 p.a.
Automatic enrolment each year into Membership Rewards Ascent - a savings of $80 p.a.
Interest rate of 18.49% p.a.

AMEX are trying to get me to divest myself of my Rew. Max. card.

A phone call offering to transfer to one of the Qantas card (with a reduced annual fee) [nein], followed up by a letter offering the same [nyet].

At this stage I'll keep my MR points where they are thank you - I don't want to have them automatically transfer to QFF given the mooted changes to that program in the next year or so.

lovetravellingoz said:
You could het the Maximiser NOW...free for a year....and then when the next Premium Card deal comes along go for that. This way you are racking up points at 1.5 /$ at no cost now. also points to join Maximiser I think are relatively rare.

You're right. I've signed up for this card and will start to earn points. I will wait for the next big deal and sign up then to the Premium Card.

Does anyone know about canceling etc.. as, once I've got the points across to my frequent flyer card, can I can the amex?

serfty said:
At this stage I'll keep my MR points where they are thank you - I don't want to have them automatically transfer to QFF given the mooted changes to that program in the next year or so.
My thoughts exactly. In fact I have over a quarter of a million reasons to leave my MR points where they are at the present time.

HG199 said:
Does anyone know about canceling etc.. as, once I've got the points across to my frequent flyer card, can I can the amex?
  • You can cancel at any time AFTER you have transferred your points (you don't want to lose them)
  • However as it will be earning at 1.5 rather than 1.25 on the Premium card why do it early?
  • Suggest you wait till near your 12 months is up...transfer the points....then ring up to cancel...when ask why say it is the yearly fee...they may waive it as they have for many (I dare saya healthy monthly spend will assist in them offering. In which case another 12 months at 1.5;)
  • NOTE that when you get the Premium you DO NOT have to cancel and I would recommend that you do not.
  • Remember that part of the game is to get maximum points for minimum cost. Only pay a fee if you have to....or if the higher earn rate will overcome the cost of fees. (in my case I have now racked up for my wife and I 90,000 free bonus points for no card fee cost over the last 9 months...and I have not paid for a cc for about 9 years.:cool: I have earnt about 200,000 points in 12 months of which about 50K is from flying and so 90K bonus has been well a very nice bonus!!! Now I am not sure how long these deals will last...but needless to say I will keep my eyes open.)

lovetravellingoz said:
  • You can cancel at any time AFTER you...

Great advice - thank you, makes sense and will follow.

I'm still trying to find a great way to earn alot of points.. maybe by a car? haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back