Amber Electric

Ive always said to Amberrphiles - show me the 12 months electricity bills and total 12 months electricity import/export/ solar self consumption from the grid.
Don't show me the spot prices as spot prices are not indicative of anything.
OK. I've now been with Amber for over 12 months . My average cost for buying from the grid for the past 12 months has been 17.8 c/kWh.

OTOH, my average FIT for the past 12 months has been 24 c/kWh.

There have been very few price spikes in my area in the past couple of months but it's still working for me (haven't had a bill for more than 12 months and currently $1,384.97 in credit).

My referral code: mates.amber.com.au/EXT84RTG
 
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: VPS
OK. I've now been with Amber for over 12 months . My average cost for buying from the grid for the past 12 months has been 17.8 c/kWh.

OTOH, my average FIT for the past 12 months has been 24 c/kWh.

There have been very few price spikes in my area in the past couple of months but it's still working for me (haven't had a bill for more than 12 months and currently $1,384.97 in credit).

My referral code: mates.amber.com.au/EXT84RTG

The thing I ponder is whether the return achieved covers the reduced lifetime of the batteries due to increased cycling. 🤔
 
OK. I've now been with Amber for over 12 months . My average cost for buying from the grid for the past 12 months has been 17.8 c/kWh.

OTOH, my average FIT for the past 12 months has been 24 c/kWh.

There have been very few price spikes in my area in the past couple of months but it's still working for me (haven't had a bill for more than 12 months and currently $1,384.97 in credit).

My referral code: mates.amber.com.au/EXT84RTG
so how much effort are you putting in to make sure you're getting the best bang for you buck
 
Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

OTOH, my average FIT for the past 12 months has been 24 c/kWh.
Forgot to mention that the break even point for FiT which involve discharging the battery is in most cases more than 24c/kWh. In order to get 24c you would need to discharge the battery.

It's false economy to export at 24c when it is costing you more to charge the battery and the discharge the battery.

My average avg cost of buying electricity is 11c/kWh
When I export I only export excess solar.

Average monthly power bill $95
Not including cost of battery and solar on a c/kWh basis

In the last 12 months approx
Import from grid 29MWh
Export to grid 11MWh
Solar production 35MWh
Consumption 50MWh
Battery charge/discharge 15MWh
 
so how much effort are you putting in to make sure you're getting the best bang for you buck
I did a fair bit of checking around initially before deciding to give Amber a go but I haven't bothered checking other options for many months. However, if you have a better option I'ld be happy to hear it.
 
Forgot to mention that the break even point for FiT which involve discharging the battery is in most cases more than 24c/kWh. In order to get 24c you would need to discharge the battery.

It's false economy to export at 24c when it is costing you more to charge the battery and the discharge the battery.

Not sure I understand the point you are making.

In simple terms, if I'm averaging 24c/kWh for exporting and paying an average of 17.8c/kWh for importing (if and when I need to) then I'm making a profit. When I'm exporting excess solar then that is, of course, much better.

There is also the cost of the poles and wires but I currently have that covered thanks to all the lovely members here that have used my referral code.

As I'm currently averaging around $100 a month credit, I'm happy with that. But if anyone has a better deal then please let us know.
 
I'm averaging 24c/kWh for exporting
What is the cost of discharging the energy from your battery so you can export at 24c/kWh?
It is not zero.

The cost can be estimated by amortising the capital cost of the battery over the warranted kWh over the warranty period usually 10 years. This needs to include opportunity cost.
 
What is the cost of discharging the energy from your battery so you can export at 24c/kWh?
It is not zero.

The cost can be estimated by amortising the capital cost of the battery over the warranted kWh over the warranty period usually 10 years. This needs to include opportunity cost.
OK; I thought that you might be alluding to something like that and I admit I haven't looked into it that deeply. A more simple, if less accurate, method may be that if the payback period ends up being less than the life of the battery then I'm in front; although I won't know that for a few more year's yet.
 
No other options but someone recommended Australia Cheap Electricity & Gas Provider | GloBird Energy

My question was really about whether you need to monitor your usage and when to buy and sell or does Amber do that for you
Amber does it for me although you have the option of doing it manually.

Initially I did it manually as I thought I was smarter than the algorithm . I soon realised that a) I didn't have the time and b) I wasn't as clever as I thought I was and ended up with a bill for that month .

Since I've let Amber do its thing, I've received a credit every month including through winter although part of that has been referral credits.
 
payback period ends up being less than the life of the battery then I'm in front
But that assumes any contribution that goes towards paying back the capital + opportunity cost assumes that the cost of using the battery for the house is less than using the grid at the time the battery is used , or the Fit is more than the cost of using the battery for export
My suspicion is that 24c/kWh is less than the cost of using the battery on cents/kWh basis.
 

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back
Top