Altitude Travel to Europe for Less - are they serious?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dajop

Enthusiast
Got an altitude newsletter today ... with some special offers. Whilst the domestic flight offers don't look too bad (if you earned points using Altitude Amex) I was perplexed by the special offer for international flights.

In summary this is:
LIMITED OFFER
Fly with one of Europe's leading airlines - KLM Royal Dutch Airlines to the UK/Europe and take advantage of discounted airfares - exclusive to Altitude customers.

Fly return economy ex Sydney / Melbourne / Brisbane / Adelaide

Travel dates Points Plus Payment, per person3
1 April - 27 May 2005 49,280 points + $1,474 + $256 tax
28 May - 15 Aug 2005 49,280 points + $1,743 + $256 tax
16 Aug - 30 Sep 2005 49,280 points + $1,582 + $256 tax

Now a quick look at Zuji, shows for eg fares from MEL to LHR in April for $1605 on QF, $1680 on EK - why would anybody waste the 49, 280 pts to save a whopping $130 or $200 ?

Now a quick look at Zuji, shows for eg fares from MEL to LHR in April for $1605 on QF, $1680 on EK - why would anybody waste the 49, 280 pts to save a whopping $130 or $200 ?

Why not ask Altitude the question :?:

dajop said:
Fly with one of Europe's leading airlines - KLM Royal Dutch Airlines to the UK/Europe and take advantage of discounted airfares - exclusive to Altitude customers.
why would anybody waste the 49, 280 pts to save a whopping $130 or $200 ?
Especially when KLM don't fly to Australia! So its a MH codeshare flight anyway, and going to be two stops to London. So I don't know how they can advertise it as "Fly with one of Europe's leading airlines - KLM Royal Dutch Airlines to the UK/Europe". More like Malaysian Airlines to Kuala Lumpur and either Malaysian or KLM on to Amsterdam, then connect to KLM for a short intra-Europe flight.

I have always found this "point plus" awards are real rip off. Even the merchandise offered just for points are heavily inflated in price compared to the price on the street. The must be using some RRP + service charge + profits to Westpac formula!

arun said:
I have always found this "point plus" awards are real rip off. Even the merchandise offered just for points are heavily inflated in price compared to the price on the street. The must be using some RRP + service charge + profits to Westpac formula!
And don't forget the inflated shipping and handling price!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back