Alternatives to AMEX Gold Business CHARGE Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuser

After years of faithful service from my Amex Gold Business charge card, the unthinkable is happening, and from the end of September (20th or 30th, can't remember exactly which) no longer will we be able to transfer the points to QFF...

I don't want another credit card as I like the no pre-set limit of the charge card, so does anyone have any suggestions as to what card to replace it with, as I only ever use the points for Qantas flights?

Seems to me that going to the Platinum Charge card is only option, but still not convinced about the $1200 fee, even though you get more points etc.

I spend between $60,000 and $130,000 per annum on the card.

Thoughts?

After years of faithful service from my Amex Gold Business charge card, the unthinkable is happening, and from the end of September (20th or 30th, can't remember exactly which) no longer will we be able to transfer the points to QFF...

I don't want another credit card as I like the no pre-set limit of the charge card, so does anyone have any suggestions as to what card to replace it with, as I only ever use the points for Qantas flights?

Seems to me that going to the Platinum Charge card is only option, but still not convinced about the $1200 fee, even though you get more points etc.

Thoughts?

The annual fee is $900 per year, and try this promotion also for a reduced fee: The American Express® Platinum Card

Perhaps even more importantly; it's 1.5 QFF points per $1 on the platinum (up to $200K spend) instead of 1 point per $1 on the gold. Provided you qualify for the platinum charge I can't see any reason to pay more to take the business platinum charge. Provided you use it for business expenses the card fees will deductible whatever its name is.

Thoughts?

Have you considered looking at whether transfers to other FF programmes might provide you with what you need ? even a transfer to AA via SPG will probably leave you about neutral in value and can redeem in a similar manner to use of QFF ; although there is a loss in number of points at 0.4125 AA points per AMEX point , the much lower premium cabin redemption costs and no need to pay fuel fines could make up for that , or perhaps consider what redemptions through , say, SQ might be like

Dave

Thanks for the ideas, gents.

I believe that the minimum income required for the everyman version of Platinum charge is $100k, while for Business Platinum is $75,000. Good point about differences in fees = why get the higher priced one if you can afford it.

Question I have for points nerds is this: how many QFF points would you need to earn on card to justify the $900 or $1200 each year. Each $1 = 1.5 QFF points.

And QFF as I just don't fly internationally often enough to save all my points for another airline.

And QFF as I just don't fly internationally often enough to save all my points for another airline.

You do realise that you can credit to, say AA, and use them for redemption on QF domestic with redemption cost of 10k economy and 17.5k business?

I did an analysis recently for a friend and compared vs cost of purchasing AA points. Normally to purchase 40000 points costs USD1105 = AUD1230 .

To get 40000 AA points costs 30000 SPG points
30000 SPG points requires 90909 AMEX points

Using a Platinum card earning 1.5 points per $ requires a spend of 60,606 to break even

Against QFF; QFF charges 2.78C per point if purchasing the max of 20,000 ( subject to meeting restrictions of point purchase )

To break even against QF points purchase requires the earning of 71494 Amex points which at 1.5 c per $ requires a spend of $47,916 to break even vs points purchase

Of course, this valuation only has validity if you would otherwise have purchased the points if they were not earned on the card. If you would not have purchased the points, then you are still down $1200

On other ideas, if spending $60,606 and getting 40k AA, can purchase 40k now and 40k in jan for $2400 which will give enough points for a r/t to Europe in business class . $3600 for a business award to Europe is pretty decent if were wanting to go there. If spending 130k this would get you over 85,000 AA points a year. 2 years would give 170k miles or enough for a 1st r/t to Europe. 1st r/t for $2400 is a good return imo

Dave

I did an analysis recently for a friend and compared vs cost of purchasing AA points. Normally to purchase 40000 points costs USD1105 = AUD1230 .
And an interesting analogy, using the current AA bonus of 12,000 miles if purchasing 40,000 miles, one gets 52,000 miles for A$1230. Given a First Class return trip to Europe required 160,000 miles, that equates to a cost of A$3785, A$2840 for business class. Not a bad price for a F or J return to Europe on QF, BA or CX. Of course the restrictions are that you can only purchase 40,000 miles per year (or 52,000 during the promo) and availability is limited to award seat availability.

Pardon my ignorance but why would anyone spend 1k for the business card when the business can just use a $295/yr personal platinum anz Amex instead? It doesn't have to be called a "business card" to be used for business purposes and the other benefits (gst reports etc) don't seem worth that much money. I get 1.5/$, and it has added up nicely I have to say..

Pardon my ignorance but why would anyone spend 1k for the business card when the business can just use a $295/yr personal platinum anz Amex instead? It doesn't have to be called a "business card" to be used for business purposes and the other benefits (gst reports etc) don't seem worth that much money. I get 1.5/$, and it has added up nicely I have to say..

The features provided from a credit card from ANZ are different to those offered from the platinum charge card from AMEX, not least that the exposure limits on the charge card tends to be higher

Can you really pay a, say, $60,000 bill on the business card no questions asked? I would have assumed you would need to have that preauthorised. I think they have an AFR sub and things like that thrown in but I was underwhelmed. 1.5 points per dollar is the key.

Can you really pay a, say, $60,000 bill on the business card no questions asked? I would have assumed you would need to have that preauthorised. I think they have an AFR sub and things like that thrown in but I was underwhelmed. 1.5 points per dollar is the key.

You can; exposure limits are based on account performance and can easily have a 60k purchase go through.

Dave

Thoughts?

Question, if you are only spending 130k max per year why do you need no limit charge card? You could just get a Amex credit card with a large limit?

Question, if you are only spending 130k max per year why do you need no limit charge card? You could just get a Amex credit card with a large limit?

In fact, at $11,000 per month aren't you at about the minimum limit for a platinum card? My spend would be significantly more, but I just put cash in in advance (I'm too dumb and disorganised to use the interest-free days effectively). Some of my payees have a 20k or 50k limit per transaction and the hassle is in splitting transactions for their benefit rather than mine. ...

There is another thread that covers the value you get for the $900 fee for the Amex Platinum Charge Card. IF it fits your needs then it is worth it.

In fact, at $11,000 per month aren't you at about the minimum limit for a platinum card?
Is there a minimum limit :?:

I have never heard of such a limit and often never go anywhere near that amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back