Almost cheeper to have too flights, than make a change

Discussion in 'Travel Insider Tips' started by rpmsol, Jan 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. rpmsol

rpmsol Intern

Jun 11, 2006
    Just realised that I would have been better off booking an extra flight, rather than changing a flight, so thought I would share my observations with you.

I had booked MEL-SYD-MEL, with a return flight at 3:30pm - with the return flight cost of $145.

After arranging an extra meeting, I though I would change my flight to 4pm, just in case the meeting caused me to miss the 3:30 flight - at an additional cost of $89 .

I then noticed that the total (current) one-way cost of the 4pm SYD-MEL flight was only $109. If I kept the original booking and just booked the extra flight, it would have only cost $20 more, and I would have had a choice of flights.

(I made the booking after doing an OLCI, which did cause a few problems, so I would have been easier if I just did the extra booking!)

2. clifford

clifford Established Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Canberra / London
    I'm a bit like that with LCC's in other parts of the world. Unfortunately no LCC's in Oz.

Fares are so cheap (eg Ryanair) that I sometimes book a couple of alternatives in case the dreaded cancellation or delay occurs (ie, fly from A to B via D instead of C). Still costs you less than $89 all up.

3. dajop

dajop Senior Member

Jul 1, 2002
    SIN
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Actually may have been cheaper, as you probably could have asked for your fuel surcharges, taxes etc back on your unused flight.