All AU Diners Club personal cards will be cancelled in January 2024

ajd

Qantas
Silver
Virgin
Red
Just got the following email. A shame, it was a very cheap Priority Pass membership!

We want to let you know we will no longer offer the Qantas Frequent Flyer Diners Club® Card from 31 January 2024, and as a result we will be closing your Diners Club Card(s) account ending in [redacted]. Your account will automatically close on 30 July 2024, unless closed earlier at your request.​
Important dates:
Activity
End Date
Making transactions on your Card (and any additional cards)​
31 January 2024​
Earning Qantas Frequent Flyer Diners Club® Points​
31 January 2024​
Update any direct debits you have on your account​
31 January 2024​
Accessing Diners Club Airport Lounges​
31 January 2024​
Transfer of Qantas Frequent Flyer Diners Club® Points to your Qantas Frequent Flyer Account​
30 July 2024​
Closure of your Diners Club Personal Account​
30 July 2024​
Detailed information:
From 31 January 2024, you and any Additional Cardholder(s) linked to your account will no longer be able to spend and earn Qantas Frequent Flyer Diners Club® Points on your Diners Club Card. Please note, any transactions and Points earned on your Qantas Frequent Flyer Diners Club® prior to this date will continue to be transferred to your Qantas Frequent Flyer account and will appear in your statement as per your terms and conditions.​
You can still conveniently manage your account through the Diners Club Australia Mobile® App, Card Services Direct Online, and our dedicated Diners Club Customer Service Centre will remain available to assist you. Your account and card numbers will remain unchanged. However, if your card is due to expire after 15 January 2024, it will not be renewed, and you will not receive a replacement card.​
From 1 November 2023 we will pro-rata refund any Annual Fees and Rewards Fees charged on your Qantas Frequent Flyer Diners Club® and Companion Mastercard for the previous 12 months. This refund should appear in your November or December statement.​
From 1 November 2023, we will also cease to charge you and any Additional Cardholder(s) linked to your account Annual Fees or Rewards Fees. We will also waive fees you incur when you use BPAY and Australia Post.​
If you have a credit balance on your account on 31 January 2024, we will send the money to you by cheque to the address we hold on file after 30 days.​
Your Qantas Frequent Flyer Diners Club® Points will be transferred to your Qantas Frequent Flyer Program until 30 July 2024. Please ensure that you have provided us with your Qantas Frequent Flyer Membership number.​
You can continue to access Diners Club Airport Lounges until 30 January 2024.​
Important information about your complimentary card insurance1
Activity by the cardholder
End Date
Making an Eligible Purchase (i.e. a travel booking)​
On or prior to 31 January 2024​
Completion of travel​
On or prior to 30 September 2024​
Making claims​
On or prior to 30 November 2024​
Complimentary insurance covers associated with your card for travel and purchasing of goods will be honoured in accordance with the Notice of Changes to your Description of Insurance Cover Terms and Conditions effective 15 July 2023, provided you meet the eligibility requirements at the time you make a claim. Claims made for eligible purchases on or prior to 31 January 2024 will be honoured until 30 November 2024.​
For any purchase eligible for International Travel Insurance or Interstate Flight inconvenience insurance on or prior to 31 January 2024, travel must be completed on or prior to 30 September 2024 and claims made on or prior to 30 November 2024.​
If your trip continues or commences after 30 September 2024 and you require travel insurance, you may wish to consider arranging alternative travel insurance.​
We have provided some important information below to help you understand what happens next. It's important that you read this notice carefully as it contains information regarding the changes to your Diners Club Card.​
What do I need to do?

•​
Update all your direct debit payments to a new bank account or card on or before 31 January 2024. Not doing so will cause your payments debited from your Diners Club Account to be rejected and you may incur fees from your provider.​
•​
Notify any Additional Cardholder(s) on your account of the changes and that they can no longer spend on their card(s) from 31 January 2024. Please note, you can no longer add any new Additional Cardholder(s) or a companion Mastercard to your account.2​
•​
If you have purchased travel on your Diners Club Card and your trip continues or commences after 30 September 2024 and you require travel insurance, you may wish to consider arranging alternative travel insurance.​

Find out more
We encourage you to read this carefully and keep a copy for your records. If you have any questions on these changes, you can read the FAQs at dinersclub.com.au/individuals.htm or contact us at dinersclub.com.au/contact.htm.​

My DC card says "Corporate" on the front (it used to be a company-issued card but that ceased 10+ years ago); does this apply to me? The website cited above is a bit vague.

Well so much for THEIR ONGOOING LOYALTY

Just another acquisition where the business gets closed down

I don’t think I ever provided an email address and I haven’t paid to much attention to the recent paper mail

Will definitely be the end of an era

Churn churn churn dem points

The link says closed from 30 July 2024? Not happy...have not received any email but I suspect I will be notied in writing by post. :(
DC member continuously since January 1991!

IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR DINERS CLUB© PERSONAL ACCOUNT
As of 31 January 2024, Diners Club will no longer offer Diners Club© Personal Cards in this market. Your account will automatically close on 30 July 2024, unless closed earlier at your request.

It would appear
They will shut off card usage capacity on 31 January

The remaining period is to enable chargebacks, refunds etc
Plus honour their complimentary insurance until 30 September 2024

Nooooooo. I have a fee free affiliate card for close to 30 years and I have NOT made enough use of airport lounges. Always travelling with family and not worth paying exorbitant guest fees for the kids.

I do have an ABN. I wonder whether if they close my card (I haven't received email yet) whether they would consider migrating it to a fee-free business card based on loyalty if they continue that side of things.

Nooooooo. I have a fee free affiliate card for close to 30 years and I have NOT made enough use of airport lounges. Always travelling with family and not worth paying exorbitant guest fees for the kids.

I do have an ABN. I wonder whether if they close my card (I haven't received email yet) whether they would consider migrating it to a fee-free business card based on loyalty if they continue that side of things.
i was thinking that as well, i wonder if they can make it a business account. I assume as i have hardly any usage they wont. Please post responce if you ask them :)

Just found out about this too. Shame. I quite like my DC - though only the MC ever sees "action" anymore. I was told there was no pathway to retaining the card (ie transfer to "business" or corporate). I'm keen to find it if there is such a pathway to keep the dream alive for just a little longer.

Shame, it had alot of potential if NAB showed it even a little bit of love. No one offers the dual card structure anymore so would've been unique in our market - especially as a charge card.

My DC card says "Corporate" on the front (it used to be a company-issued card but that ceased 10+ years ago); does this apply to me? The website cited above is a bit vague.
Still no sign of any change at all for me; no emails, nothing unusual showing on my account page on the DC website. Maybe I have slipped under the radar!

When Hyundai Card (formerly Diners Club Korea) stopped issuing Diners Club in 2017 there were a few years where you couldn't get Diners in Korea. Woori Bank started issuing Diners over a year ago but increased the annual fee from ₩50,000 to ₩300,000. I can't see anyone taking over Diners in Australia but it would be great if someone did without increasing annual fees massively.

Because this card was unlimited charges (no credit limit)
I found that I’d happily throw an international J/F onto it. And of course these are now bordering on minimum 8-10$k for Europe return

Now I’m hooning about, anyone got any thoughts about where to find a “credit limited” card that enables that kind of expenditure plus day to day for 2-3 months (spend/pay off in full cycle)
I’m thinkin I probably need like a😞😎😌lot more than what my other card Carrie’s as a limit ….

PS Never really had to think about it because of DC (which also earnt 2 points for Qantas spending, which I expect is NO LONGER available in the marketplace)

I was told there was no pathway to retaining the card (ie transfer to "business" or corporate). I'm keen to find it if there is such a pathway to keep the dream alive for just a little longer.

Ominously, the "Business" and "Corporate" pages of the website no longer give you a way of applying for them or even calling to apply.

It looks like DC is going the way of the dodo.

I called up this morning and they wouldn't transition me when I asked - I'm assuming the business & corporate cards are also destined for closure in the fullness of time. There's also no pathway to another NAB product which I find strange - isn't the point of buying a lending business that you actually want to lend the money and not shy away from lending risk? I would have though (I'm biased) DC members are a reasonable credit risk and they could offer us a "transition" card in the NAB stable up to our shadow limit for instance.

I also asked for my AFs to be waived and they said I'd be getting a pro rata refund of my AF on 31 Jan - that's not exactly what I'd asked but they didn't want to have that conversation either - thought if you were shutting down a business, you'd not really be focused on profit maximisation anymore and just trying to square away the closure without giving too much value away. Am I missing something here?

Has anyone still not received the notification from Diners Club? I still haven't. Not in Spam. Is it meant to be a staged rollout of emails?

One last question regarding anyone who has used airport lounges on the DC card. Is it only the primary card holder who is covered for free, i.e. no complimentary allowance for a guest? I've never tried.

I haven't received any notice yet but it's on the website and well reported in this thread. I've never used my DC to get airport lounge access so can't clarify my experience with that.

Not received notification but they don’t have an email address for me so snail mail has yet to arrive

Surely there must be some law not allowing a company to buy another company and then closing that company's products and not offering àn alternative?! I guess not.... :(

Back