Alaska airlines mileage plan | Page 13 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Alaska airlines mileage plan

PatMcrotch

Guys...If I book a one way with a long stop over in Tokyo is it possible to change the date of the second leg at a later date?
For eg: SIN-NRT(2 month stop over)-BKK
Can I change the date of NRT-BKK during my Tokyo stopover?

CJEMNMAC

Flights
My Map
have a booking ADL-JFK on Cathay... They just cancelled the ADL-HKG flight and moved me from Tuesday Night back to Sunday afternoon..

Has anyone had any experience getting a better option with this ??

I don't really want to fly to ADL the day before departure now or stay 2.5 days in HKG....

Any suggestions ? Alaska Air were less than helpful

MEL_Traveller

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
have a booking ADL-JFK on Cathay... They just cancelled the ADL-HKG flight and moved me from Tuesday Night back to Sunday afternoon..

Has anyone had any experience getting a better option with this ??

I don't really want to fly to ADL the day before departure now or stay 2.5 days in HKG....

Any suggestions ? Alaska Air were less than helpful
Alaska Airlines is going to be looking for award inventory, and if none is available it's not something easy for them to fix.

You could try calling Cathay yourself, ask them to look at the booking and suggest an alternative. It would help if you have identified other Cathay flights you'd like to take (for example, leaving from MEL or SYD).

Cathay will be reluctant to do anything with the booking, but you need to ask their assistance just to get another flight arranged, and you'll contact Alaska airline to reissue the ticket. What' you're hoping is that Cathay will release a revenue seat on the flights you want and convert them to an award seat.

if successful, this should mean you have an extra segment in your existing reservation which Alaska will then ticket.

CJEMNMAC

Flights
My Map
thanks MEL_Traveller

I should also add ... it was 2 pax... difficult to see how Cathay will convert 2 seats for me :(.. anyway i will call and you never know...

MEL_Traveller

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
thanks MEL_Traveller

I should also add ... it was 2 pax... difficult to see how Cathay will convert 2 seats for me :(.. anyway i will call and you never know...
Shouldn't make any difference. CX regularly releases award space in the days just before departure, so all this is doing is getting them to convert the seats a bit earlier than they otherwise would.

In your favour is that it is their decision to cancel the flight. Just be prepared that they may be very reluctant to touch the bookings, stating all changes need to be make by AS. This is correct, and you don't want them to change anything, just to create the additional seats. (Although to be fair they made the original change to two days earlier so they might be prepared to do this one as well, but it may involve a change in origin which complicates things slightly.)

CJEMNMAC

Flights
My Map
Shouldn't make any difference. CX regularly releases award space in the days just before departure, so all this is doing is getting them to convert the seats a bit earlier than they otherwise would.

In your favour is that it is their decision to cancel the flight. Just be prepared that they may be very reluctant to touch the bookings, stating all changes need to be make by AS. This is correct, and you don't want them to change anything, just to create the additional seats. (Although to be fair they made the original change to two days earlier so they might be prepared to do this one as well, but it may involve a change in origin which complicates things slightly.)
MEL

I called CX to see what is happening with cancelled flight, they just took it upon themselves and changed the dates and reissued ticket on their own stock...

Alaska now have no control as it was reissued by CX.. the only downside it appears i can no longer change or cancel under Alaska rules as ticket is now considered CX..

This is wierd

CJEMNMAC

Flights
My Map
MEL

I called CX to see what is happening with cancelled flight, they just took it upon themselves and changed the dates and reissued ticket on their own stock...

Alaska now have no control as it was reissued by CX.. the only downside it appears i can no longer change or cancel under Alaska rules as ticket is now considered CX..

This is wierd

Update.. CX emailed me new e ticket receipts, emailed and called me about a Hotel Voucher that will be waiting for me in HKG including dinner... ( the change has caused an overnight stop in HKG )...

Last edited:

MEL_Traveller

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
MEL

This is wierd
That’s outstanding :) This is just a one way? Dunno what happens if you need to cancel. Hopefully you don’t!

CJEMNMAC

Flights
My Map
That’s outstanding :) This is just a one way? Dunno what happens if you need to cancel. Hopefully you don’t!
Yes 1 way..... i spoke to a great Alaska agent in the international partner area and she advised me if I need to cancel or change to still call them and they will try and resolve with CX on my behalf.. Anyway, i dont want to change or cancel, so all should be good

diningdecadence

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Only Asia-USA and USA-Asia.
bugger. thought it might have been generous like Cathay!

CX availability to USA looks awful - guessing cos of that discounted Vietnam deal from a while back? (nothing to LAX/NYC/ORD in next couple of weeks)

MEL_Traveller

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter

CX availability to USA looks awful - guessing cos of that discounted Vietnam deal from a while back? (nothing to LAX/NYC/ORD in next couple of weeks)
Avaialbility is not noramlly good these days on CX because of married segments. Point to point can be very hard to find, but add another sector and availability improves (marginally). Close in - anywhere from three weeks before departure - can also yiled results. CX will often release all seats bar one in the F cabin on the day prior to departure (have seen 5 F seats available). But it's a risk if you really want to confirm yuor holiday.

The alternative is to fly to SIN (QF, EK, JQ, SQ, Scoot) on a paid ticket and pick up JL from SIN (or BKK/CGK etc). 75K in F is a neat deal.

CJEMNMAC

Flights
My Map

5 Aug is available in J

EDIT : Now gone.. HKG to EWR

aaa99

Hi all,

I am new to here. Thanks for all informative posts.

I signed up to an Alaska account 20 days ago.
I tried to buy miles (54k excluding the bonus) using my ANZ travel adv credit card (to make use of no fx fees). It showed up as pending on my cc, but 24 hours later, got an email from Alaska that roughly said Posting error - please try again

Has anyone got this before?
Is there restrictions on Australian credit cards?

Thank you

MEL_Traveller

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Hi and welcome to AFF.

There are no credit card restrictions. Aussie credit cards are freely accepted.

You could try and put the transaction through again.

aaa99

Hi and welcome to AFF.

There are no credit card restrictions. Aussie credit cards are freely accepted.

You could try and put the transaction through again.
Thanks for clarifying this. I have retried again. Hope it succeeds this time.

burmans

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
So aside from the obvious (buying or redeeming) how do you guys keep your Alaska account active?. I have 72K points and just realised they expire 25 Jan. Not urgent yet but am wondering if I should buy miles or if there is some other way of keeping my points alive.

andye

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
So aside from the obvious (buying or redeeming) how do you guys keep your Alaska account active?. I have 72K points and just realised they expire 25 Jan. Not urgent yet but am wondering if I should buy miles or if there is some other way of keeping my points alive.
Bonvoy transfer, e-rewards transfer or BA/QF/EK flight for me

AFF on Air Podcast

• Air Chathams – AIR019
    Sat, 07 Sep 2019 16:41:06 AEST
      With less than two weeks until the upcoming Qantas Frequent Flyer changes, now is the time to make any last-minute Classic Flight Reward bookings! In this episode, Matt ch ...
  • Project Sunrise – AIR018
    Sat, 24 Aug 2019 16:12:31 AEST
      Later this year, Qantas will decide which aircraft it will use to operate non-stop flights from the east coast of Australia to London and New York - a feat it aims to achi ...
  • Choosing a Rewards Program – AIR017
    Sat, 10 Aug 2019 13:32:24 AEST
      If you're new to the world of frequent flyer points - or moving to a new country - it can be difficult to know where to start. In this episode, Matt discusses the consider ...
  • Travel Insurance – AIR016
    Sat, 27 Jul 2019 07:34:12 AEST
      They say that if you can't afford travel insurance, you can't afford to travel! In this episode, Matt chats to James Green about the importance of travel insurance, and wh ...
  • The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episod ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRH