Answered - Airbnb payment currency | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

Answered Airbnb payment currency

VPS

Established Member
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Just had a transaction on my Citibank signature for Airbnb - quote in $A and paid in $A (checked settings in Airbnb) and it said they were $A but still been slugged an international exchange fee.

Has anyone else had any experience with this recently?

I had the same with Book Depository recently (can't remember which card though) and I've never had an issue with them before.

Jeffrey O'Neill

Established Member
Flights
My Map
it's quite common for bank visa and mastercard to add a foreign merchant card fee even if the transaction was in AUD.

AMEX don't seem to do this.

Personally i think it needs legislation to stop this as it's a juicy 3% scam for the banks.

asterix

Flights
My Map
Between that and the poor points earn is why I stopped using my Citi Signature card. I only use my AMEX and Coles MasterCard now.

VPS

Established Member
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
I did query Citibank and they refunded it as a gesture of goodwill. I did follow up with AirBNB and they have given me the invoice that clearly states the charge was in Australian $ so I will see.

I keep my Citibank because it's 1 point per $ and no annual fee for life

asterix

Flights
My Map
I did query Citibank and they refunded it as a gesture of goodwill. I did follow up with AirBNB and they have given me the invoice that clearly states the charge was in Australian $ so I will see.

I keep my Citibank because it's 1 point per $ and no annual fee for life
If the merchant processes the payment outside Australia Citi will charge the Forex fee. I earn 1 Citi point per dollar but I'm pretty sure the conversion is 2 Citi points for 1 VFF or 2.5 Citi points for 1 KF point.

Austman

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
It's not just one merchant, it's not just one bank.

This really needs legislation to stop it.

A charge will be shown in AUD. The website might even have a .au address, but if the charge is processed overseas by the merchant, a foreign transaction fee can be charged.

The consumer often has no way of knowing!

That has to be wrong.

VPS

Established Member
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
If the merchant processes the payment outside Australia Citi will charge the Forex fee. I earn 1 Citi point per dollar but I'm pretty sure the conversion is 2 Citi points for 1 VFF or 2.5 Citi points for 1 KF point.
Sorry may not have been clear - I get Qantas 1:1 which is as good as you can get for VISA

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rewardsbonanza