Advice on timing's for domestic and international flights | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Advice on timing's for domestic and international flights

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuthq

Intern
Hi All,

I am departing MEL for SYD 12 noon this Saturday and then boarding VA29 at 3.15pm to AUH and then on to LHR.

What time should I aim to be at Melb and can I check my bags straight through to LHR?? I take it at SYD all I need to do is go through security/customs?

Thanks
Nuthq

notzac

Established Member
A domestic leg of an international journey should take only a few moments longer to check in than a domestic-only journey .. I would personally get to MEL around 60-90 minutes before the flight, but as long as you make check in cut off, you'll be fine.

If everything is on a single itinerary, your bags will be checked through to LHR and all of your boarding passes ought to be issued at MEL. When you arrive at SYD, there is an international connections "gate" downstairs where you can get the bus to the International terminal. If you don't get given a wallet in MEL with the bus ticket, ask for the ticket at the desk in SYD. From there, straight through immigration and customs and then it's a bit of a hike to the EY lounge to wait for your flight to AUH.

markis10

Veteran Member
When you arrive at SYD, there is an international connections "gate" downstairs where you can get the bus to the International terminal. If you don't get given a wallet in MEL with the bus ticket, ask for the ticket at the desk in SYD. From there, straight through immigration and customs and then it's a bit of a hike to the EY lounge to wait for your flight to AUH.

Downstairs?? It's Gate 37 from memory.

markis10

Veteran Member

nuthq

Intern
Thanks all for your responses - I appreciate it!

Any idea on the chances of getting an exit seat for the Etihad flights for 2 of us? Happy to pay extra but will the VA staff even be able to do that at MEL??

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NEC180