Advice on timing's for domestic and international flights

Discussion in 'Virgin Australia Velocity' started by nuthq, Apr 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. nuthq

nuthq Intern

Aug 26, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hi All,

I am departing MEL for SYD 12 noon this Saturday and then boarding VA29 at 3.15pm to AUH and then on to LHR.

What time should I aim to be at Melb and can I check my bags straight through to LHR?? I take it at SYD all I need to do is go through security/customs?

Thanks
    Nuthq

2. notzac

notzac Established Member

Oct 6, 2008
    MEL
    A domestic leg of an international journey should take only a few moments longer to check in than a domestic-only journey .. I would personally get to MEL around 60-90 minutes before the flight, but as long as you make check in cut off, you'll be fine.

If everything is on a single itinerary, your bags will be checked through to LHR and all of your boarding passes ought to be issued at MEL. When you arrive at SYD, there is an international connections "gate" downstairs where you can get the bus to the International terminal. If you don't get given a wallet in MEL with the bus ticket, ask for the ticket at the desk in SYD. From there, straight through immigration and customs and then it's a bit of a hike to the EY lounge to wait for your flight to AUH.

3. markis10

markis10 Veteran Member

Nov 25, 2004
    BNE & SYD

Downstairs?? It's Gate 37 from memory.

4. MandM

MandM Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Yep, downstairs. It's Gate 46 (source - I did the transfer 2 days ago).

5. markis10

markis10 Veteran Member

Nov 25, 2004
    BNE & SYD
  6. Clivem

Clivem Active Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Brisbane
    Yes changed 46. web site still notes 37 ?????

7. markis10

markis10 Veteran Member

Nov 25, 2004
    BNE & SYD
    It does for some pages, bit of a race to the bottom between airlines when it comes to website mistakes and usability.

8. nuthq

nuthq Intern

Aug 26, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    #8 nuthq, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    Thanks all for your responses - I appreciate it!

Any idea on the chances of getting an exit seat for the Etihad flights for 2 of us? Happy to pay extra but will the VA staff even be able to do that at MEL??