Activation of amex platinum charge rental car insurance & travel insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike0430

Hi AFF Members,

My upcoming trip: Sydney -> Perth -> Singapore -> Sydney, I have paid airfare by points and paied for additional charges and taxes by my Amex charge card. Just want to confirm that I have activated my amex charge travel insurance cover.

Secondly, I have paid all rental car charges by my amex charge card, and then paid rental car deposit on my visa debit card (as car rental company is charging 5% non refundable admin fee for amex card). I am wondering if this has successfully activated my rental car cover? Thanks.

Beat to email Amex to check i think

If it's anything like the insurance that comes with my Explorer, then the thing needs to be paid for with either the Amex (in full), or Amex + MR points. So you'd likely have insurance for the trip itself, but the rental car thing is unclear. The terms say "entire cost", so although you paid the cost of the rental car, it's difficult to say regarding the deposit.

I second that giving them a call is the best idea. Let us know as well so we are covered in the future :D

The activation clause is unclear for Points on Charge

...; or
(b) You pay using American Express Membership Rewards points, frequent flyer points; or...

I would argue that the comma implies that a points booking activates the travel insurance particularly as Amex MR is not a frequent flyer programme.

Car excess insurance is under the Loss Damage Waiver section so is separate to the Travel Insurance. You should be OK if you pay for the cost with the Amex and they refund deposit..otherwise grey area

Clearly worth checking

Cool to see that the Platinum insurance specifically mentions frequent flyer points, that's an advantage over the other cards, such as the Explorer.

Question (as Chubb are currently closed)- it's been a while since I wanted the car rental insurance.

With Amex Explorer, if I book a car rental abroad, using my card for the rental purchase I am covered for Loss Damage Waiver.

Is my partner (if I also name her on the Rental agreement as a driver) also covered?

The activation clause is unclear for Points on Charge

...; or
(b) You pay using American Express Membership Rewards points, frequent flyer points; or...

I would argue that the comma implies that a points booking activates the travel insurance particularly as Amex MR is not a frequent flyer programme.

Car excess insurance is under the Loss Damage Waiver section so is separate to the Travel Insurance. You should be OK if you pay for the cost with the Amex and they refund deposit..otherwise grey area

Clearly worth checking
I can't recall if you were part of the other thread that discussed this, but my understanding from talking to chubb is that you are correct and that 'frequent flyer points' is sufficient to activate the travel insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back