Accidental MR point booking

Status
Not open for further replies.

billbro

Established Member
Just wondering if anyone has had experience with making a booking in error via American Express Travel?

Specifically, the portal defaults payments to points instead of cash - I was having issues with my booking and called Amex twice today, but the travel team was closed and so I ended up making a booking and didn't notice that the slider had been reset to take out my points!

I've read the T&Cs, but just wondering if any has had this issue and had Amex refund the MR points? The booking is valid, I don't need to cancel/amend it beyond the payment type.

Been frantically searching the internet for an answer as I was saving the points up for a honey moon in the not too far future! Sighs.

Yes, I have had this happen to me too, and yes, Amex Travel refunded the points quickly. If you are a Plat Charge cardholder I would suggest asap emailing the Plat Travel team to indicate your mistake and document that you realised soon after and thus it wasn't just a change of mind. Probably not necessary though.

Likewise from me. I was rushing to book a potentially-sub-optimally-priced-but-definitely-not-a-"mistake" fare and just completely forgot about the slider. They were fine about leaving the ticket as it was and just changing the payment method, but newformula's advice to put something in writing is probably a good idea.

Thank you to both of you - I've been so frustrated about it the entire day and couldn't find any response online about people having the issue.

In terms of emailing them, I literally emailed them within 5mins of the incident calling and I also reached out to the hotel directly! So thank you for the suggestion and it has already been done, but based on the T&C I was rather concerned.

I've spent so much time trying to accumulate the points I was going mental knowing I just chunked away 120k at 1c each instead of for flights for a honeymoon (assuming she says yes to the proposal in the coming month).

So again, really appreciate the responses - otherwise I would have bugged me until Monday morning until they opened up.

I think this happens quite regularly. I had the same issue where the slider 'reset' when I forgot to enter my card expiry date and I did not notice the change.

As the booking was after 17:00 AEDT, I was panicking about the waste of points and sent an email explaining the issue. By 08:30 AEDT the next day, Amex travel responded and the points were back in my account and the $ cost authorised on my Charge instead. Very happy with the outcome and there appeared to be no hesitation to refund the points on the Amex side.

Thanks for the responses everyone - makes me feel a bit better until tomorrow morning.

Unfortunately, part of why the error occurred was because I needed a replacement Platinum Charge card sent out - I had a $50 rebate booking on Amex travel tagged to the card that is now gone. However, small price to pay if I get all the points refunded.

Moral of the story: don't rush to make bookings!

Also, will update on Monday to confirm all the points got refunded.

I've spent so much time trying to accumulate the points I was going mental knowing I just chunked away 120k at 1c each instead of for flights for a honeymoon (assuming she says yes to the proposal in the coming month).

Good luck!

Did the exact same thing last week. The CSR on the rewards hotline was unbelievably helpful. Sorted it out with the travel area for me and called me back. Points were returned and charge was made within 48 hours.

im another who once accidently used points to pay instead of $. was easily fixed with a phonecall.

did the exact thing on Saturday, was not happy when I realised and thought the points were gone at a terrible rate (0.006c). Called this morning and they were quite helpful. All sorted within a few mins and the $50 statement credit notification for Amex travel came through shortly after.

All sorted - received an email in the morning, so I didn't even have to call up.

Points back in my account - new charges haven't been applied yet, with a bit of luck hopefully the $50 rebate kicks in too. Either way, very happy with the outcome and it was great service from American Express.

I have done this, luckily only for $90 flight. Was kicking myself but thought it is done now so got over it. Kicking myself again now that I see they probably would have changed it for me!

I haven't done this (yet) but have noticed how easy it would be to do. I actually think it is a bit underhand and that neither payment method should be preselected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back