About to tick over to Platinum - Can I activate both IHG and Hilton premium memberships? | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

About to tick over to Platinum - Can I activate both IHG and Hilton premium memberships?

Matt Emptage

I am currently a VA Gold member about to tick over to Platinum in 2 flights time. I have never activated the IHG Gold Elite or Hilton Honours Gold memberships that are offered as part of being a VA Gold member. When you become a VA Platinum member you can apply for IHG Platinum or Hilton Honours Diamond. My question is can I activate one of the Gold memberships now whilst still a VA Gold member and then activate a Platinum membership with the other hotel group once I become a VA Platinum member?

Matt Emptage

I was successful a few years ago doing the same thing.
Awesome. I'm trying to work out which one to pick with Gold and which one to pick with Platinum. I noticed that you don't get a room upgrade with IHG Gold but you do with Hilton. Thinking it might be better to select Hilton with Gold and IHG with Platinum. I probably stay in IHG hotels more often. It's been a while since I stayed in a Hilton.

exceladdict

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Awesome. I'm trying to work out which one to pick with Gold and which one to pick with Platinum. I noticed that you don't get a room upgrade with IHG Gold but you do with Hilton. Thinking it might be better to select Hilton with Gold and IHG with Platinum. I probably stay in IHG hotels more often. It's been a while since I stayed in a Hilton.
Could always do platinum with IHG, status match to hilton (unsure if on now but they do from time to time), and get platinum in both

Ross B

I did this exact thing end of January this year so yes, you are able to activate the gold benefits and then once you go platinum select new ones

clipped_wings

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
We opted for both and the Elite status with each program was automatically recognized whenever we stayed in these hotels across the USA. It afforded some very nice benefits, depending on where you were. Some gave a higher floor at no charge, some offered a Concierge Level access. Others simply gave you a better room. The "Welcome Back Mr and Mrs ****" was always appreciated the points haul from accommodation was just realised. I just moved around 6k Velocity points to take advantage of the May bonus transfer promo.

jamescara

Intern
I would make sure get the Gold level activates ASAP. I've not used the HH option, but the IHG one was sloooooow to process so you don't want VA potentially cotton on if you're following it up etc.

eric2011

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
I would make sure get the Gold level activates ASAP. I've not used the HH option, but the IHG one was sloooooow to process so you don't want VA potentially cotton on if you're following it up etc.
I asked VA how long ( Hilton ) and reply was 20 business days before they would even do a follow up, currently been waiting 15 business days

andye

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Benefits
IHG Gold-some points
IHG Plat-a few more points. Maybe an upgrade with lounge at Crowne Plaza
HH Gold-upgrade, free breakfast and some points
HH Diamond-upgrade, brekky, lounges and a few more points

The most tangible benefit of IHG Plat I had was to use it to status match to Hilton.
I'd choose Hilton Diamond over IHG Plat any day. Ambassador can be useful if you stay at Intercontinentals but you get Plat with that anyway

Last edited:

RisingPhoenix

AFF Supporter
Out of interest, can anyone clarify if they used the Gold Upgrade to get HH Gold, when they achieved Platinum were they able to access the HH Diamond benefit?

AFF on Air Podcast

• The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes – AIR014
    Sat, 29 Jun 2019 00:40:35 AEST
      Last week, Qantas announced a major shake-up to its Qantas Frequent Flyer program. In this episode, former Head of Loyalty at Malaysia Airlines, Mark Ross-Smith, joins Matt ...
  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avolin