AAMI bonus points

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbd

Anyone had any luck with getting bonus points for AAMI insurance ? I have multiple policies up for renewal but am hesitant to renew just yet as on the T&Cs on the amex website it says bonus points only payable for transactions made at www.americanexpress.com.au/aami only (which is the address to register for the promotion!) . Does anyone have any experience with this ?

I've been getting my bonus points each month for my home policy for the past 12+ months.

Just make sure you shop around for the best price etc

I get it with GIO but you have to register on the AMEX link and you only get 1/2 a point for the initial debit of the premium but 5 x the premium for the bonus. Even had an accident ( bu$$er) and paid the $ 1,000 excess ( I drive a HSV senator and it has a high excess) and got 5,000 bonus points

Just be careful with this one!

I registered last year and paid my AAMI renewal last year - points posted, no problem.
This year (Nov), checked to see if AAMI offer was still on - yep.
Paid on Amex and NO POINTS appear. So I rang Amex.

Turns out I'm not registered for the bonus.
Yes, I am....
No, you're not sir. You have to register every year to get the points.
Every year?! What? Why?
Because it's a targeted bonus and when the bonus period expires, so does your registration!

We are talking 9000+ points so not trivial (well it is compared to my BAS, but it's a point of principle!)

Threatened to cancel so they offered 5,000 points as a "goodwill gesture" after talking to cancellations.
No deal; I'm a man of principle.

I called cancellations - they asked me why. Repeated whole story.
Net result 9000 points and Amex keeps a customer - just!

What a PITA! Why can't they just post them like Citi?

Simple answer really...............It's AMEX........!!
You need to re-register each 3 to 6 months depending on what card you are using you need to log into
Stupid really, but I guess it makes people look to see what is there. I got a really helpful CSO last time I rang and he suggested to check them both out on the 3rd of 4th every month as they do put in new ones.

Other stupid thing is....try and find these links from the AMEX home page...I don't think you can easily.. Why have bonus points if they don't promote them heavily.

I have paid nearly $ 20K in GIO payments recently and ended up with almost 125,000 points !!! Not to shabby at all !!

Keep it up AMEX

Just be careful with this one!

I registered last year and paid my AAMI renewal last year - points posted, no problem.
This year (Nov), checked to see if AAMI offer was still on - yep.
Paid on Amex and NO POINTS appear. So I rang Amex.

Turns out I'm not registered for the bonus.
Yes, I am....
No, you're not sir. You have to register every year to get the points.
Every year?! What? Why?
Because it's a targeted bonus and when the bonus period expires, so does your registration!

We are talking 9000+ points so not trivial (well it is compared to my BAS, but it's a point of principle!)

Threatened to cancel so they offered 5,000 points as a "goodwill gesture" after talking to cancellations.
No deal; I'm a man of principle.

What a PITA! Why can't they just post them like Citi?

I think AX just sent a 9,000 points bill to AAMI. AX wins-wins by keeping a customer and not needing to fork out for the points cost.

And for the QF Amex cards: http://www.americanexpress.com/australia/personal/cards/benefits/qantas_reward.shtml
I only have the QF Discovery Amex, and had no problems registering for both the AAMI and Suncorp offers over the phone. I decided on AAMI in the end, and the 5 points/$1 posted without issue (in addition to the 1/$1). I've used my card at Secure Parking this month (on a weekend as the bonus requires), so I'll keep my eyes out for those points (as their offer requires no registration). Not bad for a card with no annual fee! :)

Sent from AFF Mobile Edition

Not AAMI but Suncorp (same company, same bonus offer as also for GIO), but an interesting win - probably the only "enhancement" from the new points structure.

Had a rather large house and contents insurance bill with Suncorp (~$3,600). Paid on due date at end of October, and got the pathetic 0.5 points, and also the much better 5 bonus points.

Car insurance renewal comes out early November, for December payment, and premiums are getting ridiculous - enough to trigger me to start shopping around - for everything. Net result - time to move to another company (also takes Amex), but no bonus points. A saving of about $1,500 on that $3,600, as well as only paying about half the requested premium on two cars means the bonus points are definitely in second place for consideration.

Savings are enough to cancel the policies for a refund. When ringing them, I was hoping that they would send the refund as a cheque (or direct deposit) so I wouldn't have the points reversed :cool:. As it turned out, I was within 21 days from the renewal - which left me in the "cooling off period", and entitled to a full refund. As the new insurance was kicking in from the day I was cancelling, and there were no claim events, this means another saving. They did want to refund back to the card, because of the full refund, so works out better (to get a cheque / direct deposit) if you wait until after the cooling off period.

Last edited:
10pts/$ this week from aami. Car insurance.

Have registered in the distant past (?march) but after reading this thread I hurriedly re-registered about 2hrs after purchasing insurance. Who knows if it would have worked anyway?

Hi Guys

I have the QANTAS AMEX CARD earning QFF points - 1 and 1/2 points per dollar + 5 bonus points on GIO etc.

I also have a AMEX Charge card earning 1/2 point per dollar plus 5 bonus points on Insurance

There are 2 programs you can enrol in, 1 for the QFF AMEX card for QFF points and 1 for Membership rewards if you have a plain AMEX card.

Registration code is the same for both. Just make SURE they enrol in the right program and double check with a small online transaction of $ 20. If you put the policy in credit their systems will refund the money after 3 - 4 weeks.!!

I have got 6 &1/2 points on my GIO payments on my QFF Amex Platinum card - I have paid around $ 25 K of premiums lately and YES I am a happy camper !!

Just a suggestion about the high premiums. Shop around BUT come back to SUNCORP/GIO etc and quote thiose premiums, in a lot of cases they( GIO/SUNCORP) have a lot of flexibility and if you are in Victoria they are all trying to keep their clients on their books with the changes to the abolition of Fire service Levies coming on the 1st July 2013.
Just a tip. You will get a better deal if you walk into an AGENCY with your notice rather than ringing the Call Centre direct.
And YES I do have a first hand reason for knowing.

Just a suggestion about the high premiums. Shop around BUT come back to SUNCORP/GIO etc and quote thiose premiums, in a lot of cases they( GIO/SUNCORP) have a lot of flexibility

Always the first approach. I tried that in years past, and used it to whittle the premium down to where it was at. There is only so far they can actually go (and yes, likewise I have a vert good reason for knowing exactly how some of their internal policies work).

One of the big savings (here in QLD) from moving away is Flood Insurance (on property). Suncorp automatically includes flood coverage - which sounds great in theory. In practice, it is only of real benefit to a fairly narrow range of risk. In general, you could class the flood insurance situation into 3 categories:

1. Area with a history of flooding (flood insurance is really necessary). Great to have the insurance, but the price will be substantial (they know the risk, and price accordingly). You do benefit from some spreading of risk (i.e. subsidised by those in the other two categories).
  2. Area with flood risk, possibly close to flooded, or minor flooding in the past. Again, important to be insured. Lower risk, so the premium is not likely to be as astronomic as the first case. Does help subsidise the higher risk of category 1 to a degree, but benefits from spreading risk with category 3.
  3. Area highly unlikely (or impossible) to flood. OK, so nothing is impossible, but if you live on top of a hill, or so far above water levels, that were the property to actually flood, Noah would be back in business, it is likely that the consequences of such a flood would wipe out the insurance company. In this case, there is no flood risk factor in the premium, but your policy is helping cover the risks of the other two categories.

As the property I had insured falls into the third category, moving to a company which does not cover flood risk (and is known for not accepting high risks for coverage), means that the premium is better relecting the actual risks - and hence lower.

Insurance companies alway try to price based on risk to a degree, but market factors, and the inability to be too precise about quantifying the risk (and the fact that it is just a risk) mean that the pricing is not always reflective of the actual situation. As insurance works on the basis of pooling risks, then it pays to understand how different companies assess risk in general, and your situation in particular. The best deal can generally be found by knowing what your particular risks are, and matching that with an appropriate insurer.

Edited beautifully........My understanding would appear to be similar to yours as well but in a different State and you are spot on with your 3 points on Flood. Keep racking up those BONUS points

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back