AA Mileage Calculations

Discussion in 'American Airlines AAdvantage' started by meljfk, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. meljfk

meljfk Junior Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Hi All;

I am about to embark on a trip to the USA (Pittsburgh) and was realized I am cutting it VERY fine RE: Platinum challange.

I am flying QF93 to Lax then AA to PIT via ORD (or alternativly (but preferably not) DFW) and was wondering about the method AA uses to calculate mileage.

According to 'Great Circle Mapper'

MEL-LAX-ORD-PIT = 10078mi
    MEL-LAX-DFW-PIT = 10223mi

In 'V' booking code would these flights be enough to propel me to AA Platinum status?

Thanks in anticipation,

MelJfk

2. Dave Noble

Dave Noble Senior Member

Oct 10, 2005
    As mentioned in the AA Challenge thread, V class earns 1 point per mile flown and 10,000 points is required for the Platinum Challenge

Either of these itineries should complete the challenge.

Your calculation on mileage for the ORD routing is slightly out. Since ORD-PIT is < 500 miles , it will earn 500 points rather than 412. This makes the earning slightly better at 10166 miles.

To confirm the mileages for the LAX-ORD flight, make a dummy booking on aa.com and the flight details will show the AAdvantage mileage. My experience is that these flights are v close or identical to GCM mileage. On checking on AA, ORD-LAX does indeed come out at the GCM distance of 1745

With a 166 buffer on mileage, I would expect that the ORD routing would be fine to take. GCM lists the MEL-LAX to be 7921 and QF lists the mileage that they award for MEL-LAX to be as 7923 so I cannot see it being v likely that the awarded mileage will be less than 7921

(edit) as per mal's mention.... I have assumed that you are booked on the AA flight number from MEL-LAX; if you are booked on the QF flight number, then ignore all the above since you will not come close to meeting the challenge

Dave

3. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    QF93?

Are you travelling on the AA codeshare (if applicable?) The challenges were changed late last year/early this year to only include AA branded flights.

V class on AA earns at 1 Q point per mile, so assuming you are on the AA codeshare/AA flights for the full journey, I can't see any issues.

4. meljfk

meljfk Junior Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Sorry I should have been more specific RE: The AA codeshare flight. Yes I am flying under the AA code to LAX (V class)

Thanks for clearing that up :)

5. Dave Noble

Dave Noble Senior Member

Oct 10, 2005
    Please collect your sapphire credentials after a challenging journey then :)

Dave

6. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    And several thousand pieces of candy ....