A Malaysian misadventure

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by arun, Jul 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. arun

    arun Member

    Sep 5, 2002
    I flew Malaysian (MH) SYD/KUL/Delhi. On my way to Delhi I had a 12 hour transit (landing at 5 am and leaving at 8 pm) in KL. The travel agent said that MH will provide me with free accommodation and meals. I was quite excited at the prospect of leaving my hand luggage at the hotel, having a good wash and a breakfast and then doing a bit of sightseeing and shopping. This is my first visit to KL.

    Landed early in the morning, went to the MH desk and collected the hotel voucher and they asked me to go to a counter to get the coach to the hotel. Waited for about 60 minutes along with 8 others and then finally the coach arrived. Got in to the coach and then started a journey of a 75 minutes AWAY from the city. Yes, the hotel (Allson resorts) was in a place called Seremban, much away from KL city.

    The hotel was good. Had a wash and a quick breakfast. I was itching to go to the city. When inquired, they said it will take more than 90 minutes and about 150 ringitts (A$60.00) to go and comeback by tourist cab!! We had to be back by 4pm to catch the coach to the airport. I joined up with another guy took a cab to the closest train station with my handluggage. Taxi was just 10 Ringitts. Then took the train to KL station. The ticket was only 6 Ringitts. But the journey took 90 minutes. It was a nice a/c train but was really a 'country" train going through the villages. With the time constraints, I was not in a mood to admire the nature.
    From KL station, we had to go out and get a taxi to go to Petronas Twin Towers at almost 1.30 pm. We wanted to go to the top of the world's tallest building", but unfortunately its sky bridge was closed on Mondays! So looked around the KLCC Surya shopping mall.

    We were too tired to walk further at this point, so took a train to KL Sentral from the basement of Petronas. Then from there took the train to the airport.

    The lesson I learnt - do not assume that the airlines will put you up in the city centre or close to the airport. always ask where the hotel is. If I had known the hotel is in Seremban, i would have left my hand luggage at the left luggage area in the airport, taken the train direct to KL city centre and done some good shopping and sightseeing at my leisure.

  2. JohnK

    JohnK Veteran Member

    Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    Interesting story even though it was a long time ago.

    I went to Malaysia twice last year for work and stayed in a town called Shah Alam. It is about 60-75 minutes from airport and to get to KL probably around 45-60 minutes. They have all these beautiful resorts but miles from civilisation.

    We went to have a meal one night at the Hard Rock Cafe in KL and decided to walk to Petronas at around 8:00pm. We were told that we are not allowed on the sky bridge. There are only a certain amount of people that are allowed to walk on the sky bridge each day but they have to line up at around 7:00am. Shame we were working and it was so far away.

    Personally I found KL very uneventful. The time spent at the resort and the factory was much better.
  3. NM


    Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Sorry to hear of your misadventure. What a mixup indeed. If you had known about the location of the hotel, you could have passed on that option and enjoyed a full day in KL.

    Don't be put off by the experience, KL really is an interesting place to visit. Apart from the distant hotel, how was the rest of the MH experience?

Share This Page