Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

A circuit around the WA mid-west

JohnM

Qantas
Platinum
Nice red dirt out there if you like that sort of thing. That tyre may not be repairable but I really am no expert.

It was my tyre - but it’s just a flesh wound... (apologies to Monty Python). 😜 It had a good 16500 km life, sadly cut short In brutal style.

Pic was sent to @Daver6 from the top of Mt Augustus. I had to hike up there to get Telstra. Believe it or not, only some weird operator called Optus has coverage at the Mt Augustus tourist park. 🙄😡

They were probaly averaging about 7 tyre repairs a day at Mt Augustus. They buy in second hand tyres from Geraldton - I guess by the truckload. Most repairs are replacements.

HokitikaGold

Hoping JohnM is having a ball. Can't wait to hear his stories from this trip.

But I do hope he refrains from his usual expressed disdain at places that fail to meet his snobbish high expectations. I can imagine, already, that he veers just slightly off-path, due to his fancy tech guidance not quite being au fait with the West Aussie wilderness. Imagine him "trapped" in Meekatharra for a night! And his consternation of the pub not having high-end Uco Valley malbecs in stock!! The horror!!

JohnM

Qantas
Platinum
Then on to the site of a large historic shearing shed at Wooleen Station, unfortunately destroyed by a tornado a few years ago. It had a unique dome-shaped roof that obtained its strength from rolled corrugate iron, obviating the need for difficult to source timber trusses of large dimensions.

Wooleen is famous as a sheep station that has been destocked and is now a farm-stay business (About – Wooleen Station). It was featured in ‘Australian Story’ in 2012 ('It's this or we all walk off': Radical plan to bring bush back to life

).

Snip 27.JPG Snip 28.JPG Snip 29.JPG Snip 30.JPG Snip 31.JPG

The kitchen and mess hall, built in the same style, remains intact.

Snip 32.JPG Snip 33.JPG Snip 34.JPG

RooFlyer

Enthusiast
Solutions
Qantas
Platinum
Then on to the site of a large historic shearing shed at Wooleen Station, unfortunately destroyed by a tornado a few years ago. It had a unique dome-shaped roof that obtained its strength from rolled corrugate iron, obviating the need for difficult to source timber trusses of large dimensions.

So, not so strong, then :) And I see you've reverted to your old habit of not clearing away the weeds before you photograph the interesting bits.

JohnM

Qantas
Platinum
Then it was on to Murchison Settlement (‘The shire with no town’ Home » Shire of Murchison) to camp for a couple of nights.

Wooleen and Murchison Settlement are both on the Wool Wagon Pathway (The Wool Wagon Pathway - Outback Pathways). There is a small museum at Murchison, a war memorial, shire offices, sports ground, a campground with small shop and a credit card fuel bowser. And that’s about it.

Snip 42.JPG Snip 43.JPG Snip 44.JPG Snip 45.JPG Snip 46.JPG

JohnM

Qantas
Platinum
Trying to access your favourite Australian websites when overseas only to discover they have been geo-blocked? Concerned about your internet privacy especially when using unsecured wifi? NordVPN will solve both these common problems.

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer

JohnM

Qantas
Platinum
Continuing north. Another river crossing, the overgrown remains of the original wool wagon track and some fossil beds.

Snip 73.JPG Snip 74.JPG Snip 75.JPG

And the first encounter with the Kingsford Smith Mail Run (Kingsford Smith Mail Run - Outback Pathways) just south of Gascoyne Junction, where we stayed for the next two nights.

And some nice pics on the wall in the Gascoyne Junction caravan park tavern (which serves surprisingly good meals BTW).

Snip 76.JPG Snip 77.JPG Snip 78.JPG